Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
cambridgefox

6 Nations 2019

Ffs, a LOT I could say but I'll keep it short:

- Well done Wales

- In reality, we've had a shi te tournament saving our worst performance for last (what do you know? Our F game cant beat Wales' B game away)

- Performance of the tournament was England against Ireland I felt

- Fvck the 6 nations anyway, its all about the world cup for us this year (least thats what we'll tell ourselves anyway) lol 

• Like 1

In the sober day of day, I think the home nations can each take something into the World Cup to avoid the collective shi t show of 2015.

- Wales are currently the best NH team (as we all know from the past 3 years, that can change very quickly in rugby)

- Ireland have beaten all tier 1 teams in the past 18 months at some point so we havent become a bad team overnight and hopefully we have hit a blimp as opposed to peaking too early.

- When England turn it on they've been excellent, particularly when the Sarries players have been fit. 

- Scotland's passing / running game is a joy to watch when it clicks as it did against England 2nd half.

Of course, the SH will also pick it up so we shall see what happens....

Final point - I find it a bit cringe to see some of my fellow Irish fans happy we lost yesterday to stop England winning the 6 nations. If we were a consistent wooden spoon contender then maybe I'd understand but its a bit of a sh it attitude for a team with aspirations of going far in the World Cup.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

To think Wales were 16-0 down in Paris and end up doing the Slam is a bit nuts

If Scotland had held on for a win against England, I'm pretty sure the record for half time leads being turned over would have been broken twice in one tournament. Bonkers stuff. 

It's definitely been a bit of a roller-coaster. Some shocking games and some brilliant games. 

As I said after the England game, the defences of the big three NH teams are by far the best in the world to the extent that we've gotten a little bit TOO good for our own attacks. 

I do think we're the strongest mentally, as evidenced by England and Ireland both wildly bottling their games on Saturday vs our come backs against France and England. 

But I do think that's probably our only edge and I do think we still have an interiority complex when playing the Southern hemisphere teams that England and Ireland don't have. So it's swings and round abouts. 

It's all irrelevant anyway, the All Blacks are still going to win it. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 1

49 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Warren Gatland backs Wales to win 2019 World Cup in Japan

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47618693

Wales clear favorites for me :thumbup:

I love that he rolled with a "we're still rolling under the radar" after winning the grand slam with this blatant shit eating grin all over his face, clearly on the wind up, and then BBC ran with it as a headline like he was serious. 

• Haha 1

Joe Schmidt has taken a battering from the media the last few days over here

I don't really follow Rugby at all and cant remember the last time I watched a full game but has Ireland massively overachieved the last 5/6 years? At the end of 2013 they lost to Italy and looked to be heading back to the pre-00s wilderness.

Going back 10-15 years they looked to have far greater players in O'driscoll, O'Connell, O'Gara, but came up against stronger teams than what was there now.

Looks to me also that Ireland has been lucky that England and France have been in their biggest slump over the last 5 years since the late 80s.

@Blue ROI

Narh that's not fair really. Criticism of Schmidt now is just as melodramatic as criticism of Jones was when England had a wonky summer / autumn. 

It's just classic media sensationalism, these days everyone has to either be a genius or an idiot, every team has to be the best in the world or in some kind of crisis, drama drama, story story, sell papers sell papers. 

Ireland have a very strong team, England have a very strong team, Wales have a very strong team. Its actually a pretty strong period for Northern hemisphere Rugby, we're all pretty much collectively leagues ahead of Seth Efrika and Straya. But we're also all much of a muchness, we're all built on a strong, defensive, fitness orientated play with an attacking "style" that depends very much on kicking back to the opponent and forcing a mistake. 

It's brutally boring to watch which (as Claude Puel just learned) is a sure fire way to get you immediately on the bad side of your own fans. People will forgive a lot when they're entertained, hence why the Scotch think their current set up is beautiful even though they're serial failures. They just attack like maniacs which is fun to watch. 

The problem with all three of us being very even though is that you're only ever one bad performance or a couple individual errors away, even just a bad ref call tbh, from finishing third out of six in a tournament and the doom mongering setting in. 

Let's be honest, Liam Williams had a bad day under the high ball against England and Sexton had turned up in Cardiff and all of a sudden our grand slam could have been a pretty shit tournament. Its all fine margins. 

So the press over reacted when they said Ireland were the best team in the world after beating the All Blacks in a friendly at home in which the ABs were basically knackered at the end of their season and now the press are over reacting because Ireland were shit in Cardiff. 

Pay no mind to it. There's still **** all between the home nations (that matter) and come the world cup it's still anyone's to finish second to NZ. 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Finnegan said:

@Blue ROI

Narh that's not fair really. Criticism of Schmidt now is just as melodramatic as criticism of Jones was when England had a wonky summer / autumn. 

It's just classic media sensationalism, these days everyone has to either be a genius or an idiot, every team has to be the best in the world or in some kind of crisis, drama drama, story story, sell papers sell papers. 

Ireland have a very strong team, England have a very strong team, Wales have a very strong team. Its actually a pretty strong period for Northern hemisphere Rugby, we're all pretty much collectively leagues ahead of Seth Efrika and Straya. But we're also all much of a muchness, we're all built on a strong, defensive, fitness orientated play with an attacking "style" that depends very much on kicking back to the opponent and forcing a mistake. 

It's brutally boring to watch which (as Claude Puel just learned) is a sure fire way to get you immediately on the bad side of your own fans. People will forgive a lot when they're entertained, hence why the Scotch think their current set up is beautiful even though they're serial failures. They just attack like maniacs which is fun to watch. 

The problem with all three of us being very even though is that you're only ever one bad performance or a couple individual errors away, even just a bad ref call tbh, from finishing third out of six in a tournament and the doom mongering setting in. 

I've heard the 'style' is boring alright but the media in Ireland has proclaimed him the best coach in the world seemingly so its a surprise things have turned against him.

If he's won 3 championships in a transitional phase it looks to me as if he has over achieved with Ireland.

The fact that Gatland has won a few titles with Wales hasn't gone down well either!

8 hours ago, Blue ROI said:

I've heard the 'style' is boring alright but the media in Ireland has proclaimed him the best coach in the world seemingly so its a surprise things have turned against him.

If he's won 3 championships in a transitional phase it looks to me as if he has over achieved with Ireland.

The fact that Gatland has won a few titles with Wales hasn't gone down well either!

But see there you're just hinting at the problems yourself. 

They're only grumpy because they fell out with Gatland now he's doing well elsewhere, Schmidt was never the best coach in the world it was just an over reaction to him doing fairly well. 

And Ireland haven't really over achieved with Schmidt, it's far more that they under achieved before him. 

All of this is sort of my point really, it sounds like the Irish press is just like the Welsh press - full of reactionary crap. 

Like I said, pay it no mind. 

Edited by Finnegan

• 4 weeks later...
On 19/03/2019 at 08:22, Finnegan said:

@Mark can you change the thread title to Rugby Union 2019 please mate? 

if that’s the case we can discuss israel & vunipola in this thread. crazy, crazy, crazy things to do. especially falou who’s already been warned for being a massive homophobic idiot. contract about to be ripped up and never play the game again. good stuff bro. 

Edited by ScouseFox

35 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

if that’s the case we can discuss israel & vunipola in this thread. crazy, crazy, crazy things to do. especially falou who’s already been warned for being a massive homophobic idiot. contract about to be ripped up and never play the game again. good stuff bro. 

I can't really get my head around it. I mean either he's almost literally insane or he simply wanted out of his contract but it's a world cup year and no other sport will employ him now. 

I just, I dunno. 

He could literally be that tapped. 

34 minutes ago, ScouseFox said:

nah he’s just proper mad christian, his missus is the same. and she plays fu cking netball so god knows how they haven’t kicked her out yet. 

Yeah of course but there's a difference between believing that stuff and being stupid enough to think you can say it publicly and not be sacked.