Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

Guest MattP
12 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

As the Tories near ever closer to 1000 losses, it's a shame that the Blaby area hasn't taken a more significant hit.  

How **** does it have to get for people in south Leicestershire to vote for something radically different?!?!  Can't see Harborough changing either, still waiting on that one.

If Labour had a competent leadership it would have.

Lib Dems are being elected in Blaby with 440 votes (Ellis) - to put that into perspective four years ago in the exact same seat a Labour candidate missed out with over 900.

People have stayed away, turnout looks about 15%-20 in some areas of the county.

It's obviously a disaster for the Tories but McDonnell was talking up a 300 seat gain for Labour last night - they've both been given a right kicking.

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Yes, just seen that.  Oadby and Wigston is going the way of the Lib Dems though.

I find the whole process frustrating when I've voted in similar fashion to the nation as a whole but little old South Leicestershire itself never changes!!!

If trends continue, I could see the Lib Dems taking Harborough in a GE though.

Guest MattP
3 minutes ago, Buce said:

If trends continue, I could see the Lib Dems taking Harborough in a GE though.

Not impossible - but as soon as May is gone I'd imagine a lot of the stay at home Tories come back out.

Some of the results are incredible, Tories losing councils they have held for decades all over the place and Labour are losing places like Hartlepool and Sunderland nine years into a Conservative government.

Completely mental, anything could happen at the next election. 

24 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

As the Tories near ever closer to 1000 losses, it's a shame that the Blaby area hasn't taken a more significant hit.  

How **** does it have to get for people in south Leicestershire to vote for something radically different?!?!  Can't see Harborough changing either, still waiting on that one.

Depressing thing voting in this area. Dutifully do it every time but no nothing will ever change.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

Not impossible - but as soon as May is gone I'd imagine a lot of the stay at home Tories come back out.

Some of the results are incredible, Tories losing councils they have held for decades all over the place and Labour are losing places like Hartlepool and Sunderland nine years into a Conservative government.

Completely mental, anything could happen at the next election. 

Labour held Sunderland.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

Lib Dems are being elected in Blaby with 440 votes (Ellis) - to put that into perspective four years ago in the exact same seat a Labour candidate missed out with over 900.

People have stayed away, turnout looks about 15%-20 in some areas of the county.

It's obviously a disaster for the Tories but McDonnell was talking up a 300 seat gain for Labour last night - they've both been given a right kicking.

I think that's somewhat unfair. The labour candidate got 901 in 2015, but there were only 3 candidates. The non-tory opposition received 813 votes this time round so not hugely dissimilar. The tories certainly didn't vote though as they were down 60% from last time. Be interested to see the number of spoiled ballots. 

3 hours ago, Bryn said:

Why would we need a third? The first was based on a fantasy and the Leave campaign demonstrably lied and the British public therefore did not give valid, informed consent to leaving the EU. We now know the precise reality of Brexit and would be voting upon it.

@MattP you're probably right about the xenophobes ditching UKIP for the Farage Party, I honestly couldn't care less either way, doesn't mean there isn't a lurch towards remain in other quarters.

Whooooosh

it was meant in jest.

36 minutes ago, MattP said:

First sentence nails it.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
25 minutes ago, Buce said:

Labour held Sunderland.

Apologies.

15 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

I think that's somewhat unfair. The labour candidate got 901 in 2015, but there were only 3 candidates. The non-tory opposition received 813 votes this time round so not hugely dissimilar. The tories certainly didn't vote though as they were down 60% from last time. Be interested to see the number of spoiled ballots. 

That's actually a very strange vote looking at it. Doesn't even appear to live in the area either.

Looking closer at the Ellis result one of the Tories got 200 more than the other, looks like people didn't realise you had to elect two and that's let the Lib Dem candidate in.

Given that difference which is obviously a mistake I presume he'll be happy for a second vote just to check that's what the public want lol

Guest MattP

Although most mental seat in Blaby comfortably goes to East Goscate...

That's gone...

2011: BNP

2015: Tory

2019: Green

If I was Howling Lord Hope I'd get up there for 2023.

4 minutes ago, MattP said:

Apologies.

That's actually a very strange vote looking at it. Doesn't even appear to live in the area either.

Looking closer at the Ellis result one of the Tories got 200 more than the other, looks like people didn't realise you had to elect two and that's let the Lib Dem candidate in.

Given that difference which is obviously a mistake I presume he'll be happy for a second vote just to check that's what the public want lol

He does live in Glenfield from what he said on the Blaby Libdem website, his correspondence address wasn’t however. The green candidate lives in Narborough which is odd. 

Tommy Robinson and his thugs attacking women and innocent passers-by:

Passive resistance doesn't work - this scum needs driving off the streets.

3 hours ago, MattP said:

As Mark Francois was alluding to earlier today, this is the Tory tide going out and abandoning them but worse is to follow with the Brexit Party tsunami coming on the 23rd to truly wreak destruction on them.

As a Tory voter for the past decade I'm delighted :thumbup:

• Like 1

However I have a feeling that both the Conservatives and Labour will see today's results and the polling for the 23rd and realise that their inability to deliver Brexit is destroying them at the ballot box.  Indeed the Conservatives might not survive as a political force at all unless it's delivered.

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of Brexit deal made in the next week or so to remove the imminent threat of Farage and hope that the anger will have died down by the next General Election in 2022.  To "get it out of the way" as it were.

This would clearly suit both the Conservatives and Labour right now, but what about the country?

4 minutes ago, BlueSi13 said:

However I have a feeling that both the Conservatives and Labour will see today's results and the polling for the 23rd and realise that their inability to deliver Brexit is destroying them at the ballot box.  Indeed the Conservatives might not survive as a political force at all unless it's delivered.

I personally wouldn't be surprised to see some sort of Brexit deal made in the next week or so to remove the imminent threat of Farage and hope that the anger will have died down by the next General Election in 2022.  To "get it out of the way" as it were.

This would clearly suit both the Conservatives and Labour right now, but what about the country?

I'm not convinced they could get it through the House.

Tory Brexiters won't vote for a customs union, and I doubt Labour Remainers would either.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ealingfox said:

If there's ever a day when a Residents Association wins control of a council then everyone in the area who didn't vote for them should be evacuated immediately.

With the offer of evacuation for those that did vote for them to be extended a week later.

Oh dear God - thoughts and prayers with the people of Uttlesford

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-48155121

Conservatives lose council to local residents' association

An independent residents' association has taken control of Uttlesford District Council from the Conservatives.

Residents took 17 seats from the Tories.

The council covers the town of Saffron Walden and the surrounding area, which includes Stansted Airport.

The founder of the group, John Lodge, said he was "very thrilled, a little bit humble and little bit frightened".

Mr Lodge, who represents the Saffron Walden Shire ward said only in his "wildest dreams" did he think they would win.

The Liberal Democrats won one more seat, taking their total to seven, while the Conservatives retained just four of the 23 seats they were defending.

Two seats went to independents, a gain of one, while none of the other established parties won any of the authority's 39 seats.

The previous leader of the council, Conservative Stephen Rolfe, said their loss was "part of the national picture".

Mr Rolfe, who lost his Ashdon seat, said the loss was "essentially" about Brexit as voters had told him they were "fed up" with the main parties' handling of the issue.

Mr Lodge, who founded Residents for Uttlesford in 2013, admitted that the national picture was reflected in Essex, but their win was a "local phenomenon".

Guest MattP
10 hours ago, BlueSi13 said:

This wouldn't surprise me one bit.

13 hours ago, Buce said:

Tommy Robinson and his thugs attacking women and innocent passers-by:

Passive resistance doesn't work - this scum needs driving off the streets.

First of all, you're quoting/following Mike Stuchbery, whose questionable reporting and tactics have been reported before. He's got a history with Tommy Robinson and a massive leftist/SJW bias - his content should be taken with a hugh pinch of salt.

http://britishchronicle.net/2018/06/24/fake-news-historian-mike-stuchbery/

Secondly, how about some context and/or additional background information?

Edited by MC Prussian

3 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

First of all, you're quoting/following Mike Stuchbery, whose quesstionable reporting and tactics have been reported before. He's got a massive leftist/SJW bias and his content should be taken with a hugh pinch of salt.

Secondly, how about some context?

1) Nope. Don't even know who he is - I was linking to the video which clearly shows what happened, not quoting anybody.

2) Is completely irrelevant. Whatever past events have happened to Robinson, doesn't excuse or give licence to him and his thugs to assault people.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Buce said:

1) Nope. Don't even know who he is - I was linking to the video which clearly shows what happened, not quoting anybody.

2) Is completely irrelevant. Whatever past events have happened to Robinson, doesn't excuse or give licence to him and his thugs to assault people.

It is not irrelevant, far from it. TR's video clearly shows him being harassed and attacked by three different people without provocation at least three times. Yet the media spin it as if he was the active party in all of this:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/02/tommy-robinson-doused-in-milkshake-for-second-time-in-two-days

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-6985387/Tommy-Robinson-attacked-milkshake-Bury.html

The police then simply turn a blind eye and walk away. :huh:

The milkshake attacker also provides a rather twisted narrative, portraying himself as the victim, when it is clear to see his was having a go at the convoy at least twice before.

Attacking somebody during an MEP rally is indefensible, no matter what political allegiance you have. In order to assess this situation, it'd be even better if we had more videos in order to establish a proper timeline and be able to conduce who started attacking whom first.

11 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

You know when somebody posts something that’s err news yeah?

Its because they thought it was interesting, provocative, made them laugh or that it got sent to them or perhaps popped up in one of the many news feeds they got that day.

Its actually not because they endorse the source or the mass media institution behind the narrative, representation, ideology, target audience and nor is it because they are crying out for a lamens media studies lecture from you.

Yep, definitely not the case by posting a Twitter feed by a well-known leftist Aussie SJW sympathizer and fake historian who once tweeted "kill whitey" or wished "White Genocide" for Christmas.

Lovely.

As for the "media studies lecture" - shame to see you're turning a blind eye to the way news are reported today. Be more critical and skeptical of mass media is all I can say.

Edited by MC Prussian