Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
yorkie1999

Also in the news

Now we have the first female Defence Secretary, is there any truth in the rumour that the Army will be armed with pepper spray and a sharp tongue?

Just asking.

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, Buce said:

I find it interesting that Williamson is enthusiastic about a police investigation, while May wants it swept under the carpet.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/02/gavin-williamson-police-urged-to-launch-criminal-inquiry

Jonathan Aitken was enthusiastic about clearing his name to the extent that he sued for libel. Evidence proved him to be a liar. He lost that case and a subsequent case concluded that his dishonesty amounted to criminality.

This sacking potentially ruins Williamson's career and reputation. If he knows he's innocent - and that a guilty party is still in a position of influence - he'll surely do all he can to prove his innocence?

He's been publicly and explicitly accused of not cooperating with an important security investigation, and implicitly accused of leaking official secrets.

Maybe there wouldn't be enough evidence to sue for libel. But he still has the options of taking all his evidence to the police, or of simply going public with everything that wouldn't be harmful to national security: e.g. giving details of his cooperation with the investigation, confirming/denying the suggestion that he contacted the journalist who published the leak and saying what was discussed, if it wasn't what is alleged. Limiting his response to saying "I didn't touch him, ref!" would be a bit lame and lacking in credibility given the seriousness of the issue and of the consequences for him.

I wouldn't see May as implicitly trustworthy, either. But what would be her reasons for doing this? She could have an ulterior motive, if she thought he was conspiring to get her removed before she wanted to go - or if she wanted to warn others off. But would she need to fabricate groundless but serious, potentially criminal accusations against him - and to sack him the day before local elections, further damaging her party's reputation? Very reckless & high-risk, if so. As PM, she could have just done a mini-reshuffle.

May will want to draw a line under this for party political reasons - hardly good publicity for the Tories if media coverage drags on of her govt leaking sensitive security info. Similarly, it's the interests of opposition parties for media coverage to be as extensive as possible. Neither of them can control that, though - if there's enough evidence for police to investigate and charge anyone, they'll presumably do so.

I'll be interested to see what, if anything, Williamson does next if he's innocent. I imagine the journalist will say nothing to protect his sources. But if he had a different source, he could presumably exonerate Williamson without exposing anyone else?

• Like 1

Guest MattP

Not getting 2/1 anymore on the BP winning this. 

Also second favourites behind Labour to win the Peterborough by-election.

Guest MattP

Turnout tonight could be shocking, I just went to my polling station and was the only one in there.

4 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Genuinely not sure whether I can be bothered to go out and vote today.

You should, even if you mark it 'none of the above'.

People gave their lives so you might have that right.

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Genuinely not sure whether I can be bothered to go out and vote today.

Have genuinely forgot about it until you just mentioned it.

Got the polling card details on the side, but not sure whether there's any point in going with not knowing who the actual local candidates are.

Edited by Wymeswold fox

12 minutes ago, Wymeswold fox said:

Have genuinely forgot about it until you just mentioned it.

Got the polling card details on the side, but not sure whether there's any point in going despite now knowing who the actual local candidates are.

Just been down. Wasn’t busy. Still didn’t know who to vote for as I went into the booth. Ended up just putting a big cross against the Conservatives to make sure they definitely don’t get in. 

Edited by urban.spaceman
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Just been down. Wasn’t busy. Still didn’t know who to vote for as I went into the booth. Ended up just putting a big cross against the Conservatives to make sure they definitely don’t get in. 

Voted BNP......as a sympathy vote

• Haha 1

38 minutes ago, MattP said:

Tories and Labour losing councillors all over the place.

They'll probably ignore it though, thinking that people are sheep and will just vote for them in a general election anyway.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Tories and Labour losing councillors all over the place.

To the Lib Dems, Greens and Independents. UKIP have lost councillors. 

**** Brexit. Time for a second referendum. Brexiteers only don't want it because they know it will be emphatically rejected. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Buce said:

You should, even if you mark it 'none of the above'.

People gave their lives so you might have that right.

Guest MattP
19 minutes ago, Bryn said:

To the Lib Dems, Greens and Independents. UKIP have lost councillors. 

**** Brexit. Time for a second referendum. Brexiteers only don't want it because they know it will be emphatically rejected. 

That's extremely simplistic and I'm sure you know it, you'll need to wait for the European elections to get a better and more wide ranging analysis as that's the whole country voting and it won't be a 29% turnout. You can't count UKIP in any analysis now as even I wouldn't vote for them with the direction they have taken.

The Tories have lost most of the 2015 councillors they gained from the Lib Dems and they aren't going to back a second referendum as most of their voters are leavers, Labour have had their worst results in Hartlepool, Sunderland, Stoke, Bolsover and Ashfield - pretty much all leave voting ex-mining areas, if anything this pribably justifies the position the leadership has taken.

I really don't see how you can make a case for these results leading to either party increasing a desire for a second referendum, if anything it's the opposite.

Guest MattP
39 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Am I right in thinking Rees-Mogg has lost his seat in Bath and Somerset? 

No, these are council elections, the Conservatives have lost control of the council.

Bath is a seperate seat at a General Election and Jacob Rees-Mogg holds the seat in that just for North East Somerset.

Edited by MattP

Just now, Strokes said:

I wasn’t able to vote, unfortunately life commitments didn’t enable me to do so. I would have spoilt my ballot, like I did at the last general election.

I never expected you'd vote Tory... :o

• Haha 2

Guest MattP
17 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Would be interesting to know the figures for spoilt ballots. 

Worked it out for H&B and it was about 9% of turnout. 

Lots of people were posting spoilt ballots on Facebook and Twitter yesterday, it will certainly be higher than usual.

The Lib Dems actually being seen as a "type" of alternative has to be good for poltics but what I like most is the massive increase in independents. That's the way I'd like to see politics going. Vote for the person and their beliefs not for the party.