Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Puel interview

Puel would make a good director of football but he wasn’t a good manager, not in English football at least. He had a long term vision but couldn’t effectively communicate with, or motivate, the fans or players. 

He promoted youth youth and moved on some of the old guard which was useful, but it is evident his training methods were poor for this league but he was too stubborn to compromise. Ultimately he didn’t have the wits and awareness to make us a great team.

Edited by Mr Weller
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Said it before, say it again - it's because Puel was willing to do the dirty work and didn't care if it pissed some people off that we transitioned into a side that could do what this one is doing.  If people are too petty or xenophobic to see that it's their problem, not Claude's.  I hope both LCFC and St. Etienne make the CL next season.

Still completely disagree. The core of this squad is still the title winning team. What dirty work did he do? Other than nearly drive away our talisman and leave us playing a dull style of football that even the most passionate supporter couldn't get excited about. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

Still completely disagree. The core of this squad is still the title winning team. What dirty work did he do? Other than nearly drive away our talisman and leave us playing a dull style of football that even the most passionate supporter couldn't get excited about. 

The team that shakey left couldn’t play the way Brendan wants to ...... there was obvs four or five months wasted but had the untimely death of Kuhn vichai not occurred then CP would probably have been let go the previous November ......

all managers have to do some dirty work .......... claude’s period in charge meant that Brendan didn’t have to do too much of the basic stuff on arrival .......

• Like 2

He was obviously flawed in what he could get out of the team and his quote about not being able to compete was the nail in the coffin, however I will for the life of me never understand the level of hate and disdain he got from certain sections of the fanbase. There's people on twitter who rate him lower than Peter Taylor, Levein etc. 

He built a great squad, changed our style of play and laid a platform for what we're seeing now. I hope he is successful at ASSE and whatever occurs after that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Foxhateram said:

It isn't though is it? The goalkeeper is the same and the no.1 striker is the same, aside from that it's completely different. The dull style of football is the dirty work, it transformed how we play and with the work of a better coach BR on top we are now seeing the dividends.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Foxhateram said:

Clearly the 100 likes you got for this post is exceptional, but I do have to break the trend. He is claiming glory for our young squad. We had most of these players breaking through or on the radar before he arrived. The only exception to this is maybe Ricardo, who I admit, is exceptional. 

The other exceptions being Tielemans, Soyuncu and Maddison, but apart from that, yeah, you're right.   :rolleyes:

images.jpeg.f6d1654c123bb31e165e2f391ab699a6.jpeg

Edited by murphy

Puel deserves the credit for putting in the dirty work for the teams current success. The team he took over from could attack on the counter but barely hold possession. Puel over 18months changed that team to be able to retain the ball well; maybe at the expense of our counter threat. But those 18months were crutial for our development as a club. Insult the bloke as much as you want, he deserves our applause and respect for the job he did. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Lionator said:

He was obviously flawed in what he could get out of the team and his quote about not being able to compete was the nail in the coffin, however I will for the life of me never understand the level of hate and disdain he got from certain sections of the fanbase. There's people on twitter who rate him lower than Peter Taylor, Levein etc. 

Too French.

42 minutes ago, Lionator said:

He built a great squad, changed our style of play and laid a platform for what we're seeing now. I hope he is successful at ASSE and whatever occurs after that.

How many of those are there, really?

Also, let's put it into context and compare the names thrown around. You'll swiftly see that most of these managers had less talent and money at their disposal. So, the comparison doesn't fully stand. Different times, different circumstances.

Personally, I think he was brought on with instilling the French effect in mind.

We all know how top clubs in France are pushing their own youngsters, so I suppose our management thought they could start something similar over here with Puel in charge.

In the end, one could say the two cultures are still too much apart.

If we're fair, Puel did some things right, and others wrong. The fact that the two philosophies would never work out and our performances on the pitch suffered greatly (day and night from one game to the other or within the same game) led to his dismissal. That and his poor communication skills, his public demeanour - for his whole tenure, he always came across as a foreigner in a foreign land, misplaced and irritating.

Edited by MC Prussian

2 minutes ago, MC Prussian said:

Personally, I think he was brought on with instilling the French effect in mind.

We all know how top clubs in France are pushing their own youngsters, so I suppose our management thought they could start something similar over here with Puel in charge.

In the end, one could say the two cultures are still too much apart.

If we're fair, Puel did some things right, and others wrong. The fact that the two philosophies would never work out and our performances on the pitch suffered greatly (day and night from one game to the other or within the same game) led to his dismissal. That and his poor communication skills - for his whole tenure, he always came across as a foreigner in a foreign land, misplaced and irritating.

And there was me thinking you were being reasonable...

Sorry, I withdraw this - I think maybe lost in translation.

Edited by HighPeakFox

21 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

And there was me thinking you were being reasonable...

Sorry, I withdraw this - I think maybe lost in translation.

In a nutshell, it wasn't just the lack of connection with the fans. Whenever I saw Puel on TV for an interview, he gave me this feeling of not really wanting to be here at all, always a bit on the run. Could possibly be down to him not making any friends at club management level, also.

Bit of a "my way or the highway" vibe.

Maybe it's just his personality and he's a great man when you get to know him. But his dry and lifeless public appearances didn't do him any favours.

His public persona is the antithesis to passion.

Edited by MC Prussian

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

In a nutshell, it wasn't just the lack of connection with the fans. Whenever I saw Puel on TV for an interview, he gave me this feeling of not really wanting to be here at all, always a bit on the run. Could possibly be down to him not making any friends at club management level, also.

Bit of a "my way or the highway" vibe.

Maybe it's just his personality and he's a great man when you get to know him. But his dry and lifeless public appearances didn't do him any favours.

His public persona the antithesis to passion.

I get that, yes. I think his arrogance rubbed up against our arrogance, there's nothing we like worse than someone doing what we do but in their own cultural language.

7 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I get that, yes. I think his arrogance rubbed up against our arrogance, there's nothing we like worse than someone doing what we do but in their own cultural language.

In what way were we arrogant (during his stint)?

From what I recall, there was quite the amount of goodwill aimed in his direction, but it deteriorated more and more as the results and performances became more irritating (either and mostly starting matches half-asleep, or letting it slide after half-time).

He just never really connected. It's just natural - you either click at work or you don't. In his case, it was the latter.

9 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Yeah, but our arrogance is better than anyone else's arrogance.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, MC Prussian said:

In what way were we arrogant (during his stint)?

From what I recall, there was quite the amount of goodwill aimed in his direction, but it deteriorated more and more as the results and performances became more irritating (either and mostly starting matches half-asleep, or letting it slide after half-time).

He just never really connected. It's just natural - you either click at work or you don't. In his case, it was the latter.

As a people, the English are bloody arrogant en masse. There will be plenty of exceptions of course.

• Like 1