Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Puel interview

10 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Puel took one for the team - he was willing to do the dirty work most managers would never have been willing to do.  He'll never get anything but hate from most "fans" but he's a big part of the reason why the club is set for a potentially excellent run in the next few years.

Absolutely this. 

• Like 2

It's a shame that his 'construction' didn't coincide with better results and that he didn't manage to lessen the resentment from the older players. I hope Rodgers can continue to help us develop technically. I feel like Rodgers'll manage to get the older players on side better.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Puel took one for the team - he was willing to do the dirty work most managers would never have been willing to do.  He'll never get anything but hate from most "fans" but he's a big part of the reason why the club is set for a potentially excellent run in the next few years.

I agree, I think he lots of very good things but unfortunately the results/performances didn't quite come.  I have no malice towards him, I can appreciate the good things he did here and wish the best for the future.  Interesting read.  X

• Like 1

He's right to be proud. It's a bit of a paradox really in the sense that he did a very good job off the pitch but it didn't manifest itself on the pitch which is ultimately where it matters. He's made Brendan's job a lot easier, that's for sure.

Edited by Paddy.
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Deeg67 said:

Sounds familiar. Just like Rodgers did at Liverpool. Puel's working/learning his way up the ladder just like Brendan. The trick seems how to choose/find the right job at the right time that allows you to succeed.

Nobody gets Alex Ferguson time to build a club and win. Now its three years, if your lucky, and out.... next. Taking one for the team is the price of doing business if you want to be a top manager in the PL.

People who know more than we do about football will take notice of what Puel has done here at Leicester. His next job is crucial to moving to the next level, where Rodgers is now.

An opportunity to build and win inside of three years. He has to find the right club and team to support him.

Although I didn't really follow Leicester until Rodgers I'm now starting to see some of the things Puel was dealing with here. On and off the field.

Claude ran out of time. Two/three years is not enough time to transition from one style of play to another. Especially while trying to stay top Ten.

I'm pretty sure Rodgers took some time to thank Claude for the excellent work he's done here. He deserves it.

Puel was such a tough one to decide whether to be in and out for, probably toughest in my time as supporting leicester. Had a similar job to Nige, but I think like Nige, he probably didn't have the ability to take us to the next level but was perfect for changing the foundation. But at end of the day, it's going to be hard to survive at any club especially one like ours if you try and impose a possession style play yet we were never successful in games where we had the ball. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, UPinCarolina said:

I said once that if Puel was English and more demonstrative with the press that he'd have escaped much of the most noxious criticism. Still believe that to be true.

Not sure citing nationality is particularly relevant, after all Brendan Rogers isn't English and the fans have really taken to him, Top isn't English and we flaming love him.

Puel wasn't the worse manager at Leicester by any means and yes he did achieve some really positive improvements here, but he was the least popular manager I can recall and his results weren't acceptable although I'm not sure the players were doing what he wanted them to do. they probably didn't know what he wanted them to do   

• Like 2

As with most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle ground -

I agree with everything he said in that interview and he did a good job. The bigger name players at this club do think they're bigger than the club and they are too close to the ones who run the club. 

However, Puel should have found a solution to make the possession turn into chances much more often, especially clear cut chances at home. That was his biggest on-the-pitch failure and ultimately created more and more tension within the stands and the dressing room until the capitulation against Palace.

It was the right time to go, and he did a good job in a hugely transitional period for the club. It cant be ignored what effect Kasper, Vardy and Morgan are having on the club and it sends a bad message to younger players like Maddison and Chilwell who'll eventually be the big name players themselves. We need to sort that asap and hopefully a big name like Brendan will. 

But any rational Leicester fan has to admire the job Puel did, even if he didn't quite get the results the team should have been getting in the end.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Totally agree with this. I think we needed a "fall guy" to come in and do the unwanted job of clearing out the team, which Puel did. Compare him to Shakespeare who gave out new contracts to Matty James, Ulloa, etc and contrast to Puel getting rid of Ulloa, Slimani, Silva, King and phasing out players like Simpson, Okazaki and Fuchs. Harsh on those players who have been incredible servants, but it's got us into the healthiest position the squad has been in for years. I know a lot of those players only left on loan, but they know their playing careers here are over.

At the same time, I think it was the right move to end his tenure when we did, and to bring in a coach who can hopefully kick us on again.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Gamble92 said:

. It cant be ignored what effect Kasper, Vardy and Morgan are having on the club and it sends a bad message to younger players like Maddison and Chilwell who'll eventually be the big name players themselves. We need to sort that asap and hopefully a big name like Brendan will. 

Doubtful, he's given Morgan an extra year and clearly believes Vardy is our main striker for the next two years at least.

Unless he's had a quiet word and they have accepted it from him but not from Claudio or Claude.

34 minutes ago, Stoopid said:

If Claude is still keen on re-construction, there's a big job on at Notre Dame right now - and he speaks the language...

Now you're just being stoopid :rolleyes:

• Like 2