Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Fox 4 Life

Puel interview

4 hours ago, Matt said:

The bottom line is he didn't get the best out of what he had.

Depends which way you look at it- he was the one who built such a talented and exciting squad.

The sacking was the right call at the right time but we're in a much better position than we were when he took over.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

Good article, tries to take a lot of credit for where we are... think it's fair to say he can take some, but we're not playing his vision of football.

We're far more direct, faster and more clinical then he could have got out of us. However, his comments about 5 players being able to play the style of football, I feel is totally correct.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Matt said:

Others just think he was a fraud, who obstructed the team’s progression, bored players, bored fans, ostracised heroes, divided the supporters and was the whispering catalyst for a toxic mist that was choking the club.

I wonder who “Others” is referring to :whistle:

But seriously, great interview. He made some mistakes and knows it. Glad he’s doing well :wub:

48 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

If you could combine Puels vision and philosophy with Ranieris man management, you’d have one hell of a coach. 

He had had the right ideas but lacked the charisma to actually inspire the team to fully implement it. Perhaps the language is the reason he fairs so much better in France. 

Isn’t that Rodgers... 

• Like 3

I do believe many discenters, misunderstood or wasnt willing to understand his mandate,from the owners.Plus the media parrotted what they obviously got from this Forum...

I do believe in this instance the language was a barrier. If any of you Observed and took in his reactions,you also seen he was frustrated,and sometimes mentions it indirectly in interviews,that we Held the ball Too long,and dient move smooth or quickly enough,Losing or in some games not being able to Build up a rythme.

He  tried to inform us in his way,and we laughed about it,but it was a fact we lacked intensivity and mental discipline,through our moves.We let Advantage gained

during moves die out,through Not pressing to the end,or not committing to the forward movement. The players because of feeling and Lack of confidence within themselves  lost momentum in team movement.causing unforced errors und Tippy tap,sideways football.  Gray for instance just didnt trust himself to Drive forward..und many players looked for the easy get out...It was his Lack of man management due to Language barriers...

He did the needed Dirty work,he Set up the base,and tried to installiert the mental attitude that the style must change,and some possesion with Skill, quality and meaning is the Way forward,but also with Swift movement...Not stuttering or staggered front foot movement and we seen often enough his annoyance when we dithered on the ball..!!!   

Rebuilding the squad,Investing and having patience,with youth. Allowing the flotsam to drift somehow out of the club.AND  HE DID GIVE EVERY squad Member a chance...His ridding und aquiring players,were more positive than negative...all managers have failing flailings,he wasnt any different,nor poorer because of it.

He couldnt be Held responsible,for Previous poor Player Contract management,that hung around the club like a heavy Yoke...

I still reckon if he had a Bit of Pearson & Rodgers English,he would of succeeded,though for the PL .Though I Don t Think he would of been astute enough,to Take us to the heights we are Now finding ourselves.

Our present swiftness and translation in movement,still has those occasional questionable traits,but Rodgers is I fee lmore Technical astute,and PL streetwise,for those higher echolons of the PL .Rodgers has taken us that wonderful Step & Phase further...

Gray,Chilwell,Soyuncu,Maddison are Prime examples of Puels belief,but Rodgers better awareness..!!

And I believe it is fair to say...'Puel-football'  at Leicester was Not just the manager but also the failing of the players themselves Bit

Not taki on their own game responsibilties.  Another Not so small issue,if we had Converted the real excellent chances we created, bis tenure would of been looked on more generously....

Yes I Defended Puel right into January,but by then everybody even with my patience could see,despite excellent Off Field needed work,it just wasnt jelling for him

Into the Teams matchday,and onfield expansion...It was for our ambitions Not in Position but performances,became  stagnant..!!!

Take Pochettino & Puel, 2 managers with Good squads &  different reasons,but they struggled to find the mojo to inspire,and One got to a CL -final.

Ole.G.S. with similar Responsibility of dying every with the playing Ethos of his tenured club,is slowly creating bis own positive story.

Puel sourced more than the base und Now Bbone of this squad...I Really believe we would Never have struggled under his management,but like many mentioned,

due to Language barriers and the relevant hurdles it then creates, Onfield he just couldnt take us Any further...

Rodgers is proving to be a gem of a replacement....but!!!   would he have had the balls,or even the aptitude to take on what Puel did...Puel had to so the washing ironing,and scrubbing the squad while promising to rearrange the Furniture ,still look After the kids,and prepared them for their education...Rodgers Now just has to do the ironing,though still use his nous,to carry on the TLC ,with some Repairs &   Build that needed extension..  

Hes won the Lotto,so all Dreams are attainable,on a five year mortgage..!!:trumpet:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Problem as well is I don't think it would've actually come good under him even with better communication. His football was overly cautious and just too easy to defend against. It wouldn't work.

In hindsight, probably not. The results would've been better with Tielemans, but I also don't think we would've been where we actually are with him. Even with the full team. Nevertheless, I'm thankful for what he did, the new impulse he gave to the club but appointing Rodgers was the right thing to do.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deeg67 said:

Said it before, say it again - it's because Puel was willing to do the dirty work and didn't care if it pissed some people off that we transitioned into a side that could do what this one is doing.  If people are too petty of xenophobic to see that it's their problem, not Claude's.  I hope both LCFC and St. Etienne make the CL next season.

Would be even better to draw them in the same group:chant:

• Like 1

Good article. Whilst Puel is not a manager suited to the Premier League, he did what he needed to do here - his work has helped our young team build a lot of experience for their respective ages.

Rodgers has taken us to a new level, there’s no doubt about that, but I wonder how things would have gone if Rodgers came in at the time  Puel was appointed. Would we have players like Ricardo and Tielemans? Would he have sacrificed winning points for giving players like Chilwell game time?

This might be controversial, and I’m pleased we sacked him when we did, but Puel is Rodgers very own version of how Pearson helped Ranieri IMHO....

• Like 4

Unfortunately for Puel (and for many posters on here), the man was hired as a manager and not a DoF. Rudkin did a great job of bringing in players to set us up for the future. 

Perhaps a target man would have been nice with all our wasted crosses during Puel’s term. 

Also, it was awesome when we went to Brighton in November 2018 with Shinji playing as a false nine. 

Do we really need to have *another* thread making all the same points we’ve all made before?