Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

Brendan Rodgers reveals his plans for 'impressive' Leicester City midfielder Wilfred Ndidi

Guest MattP

Not surprised he's said this after taking him off on Friday. 

He said quite a bit after the game about wanting good technical players all over the pitch, I get the feeling Wilf is going to have to finally show some serious improvement in his passing if he's going to be a regular in the long term plans.

18 minutes ago, MattP said:

He said quite a bit after the game about wanting good technical players all over the pitch, I get the feeling Wilf is going to have to finally show some serious improvement in his passing if he's going to be a regular in the long term plans.

Ndidi prior to the Newcastle game was playing superbly, his passing looked crisper due to him simply being tasked with passing it to feet as soon as possible, rather than being asked to make things happen in the oppositions half. As soon as his confidence has returned he's looked a much better all round player. We all hoped he'd turn in to a Yaya Toure type but his attributes that have never been in question are his tackling, and recovery of the ball. We have a sensational player in that regard and it's about allowing him to do that and get the technical creators on the ball as much as possible.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Interesting read this, Rodgers done exactly this to Scott Brown, completely simplified his role when he came in and it led to him being completely re-born as a player and winning player of the year and having some of the best stats for a midfielder in the CL the following season.  The season before Brown's legs looked to have gone and be on the way out.

I'd wager he'll turn Ndidi into a beast of a player, given he's a lot younger and a lot more athletic.  That's how I read this anyway and not as a shape up or ship out threat.

Yep that's a great example actually. Rodgers also somehow made Joe Allen look like Xavi at Swansea as well! Newcastle clearly targeted him on Friday, which was very astute of Rafa and I think will be a trick employed by other teams this season too. But I think that with the current shape of the team, it should be quite easy to sort him out. With both Tielemans and Maddison next to him, Ndidi really does not have to do anything complicated at all, just pass it short for one of those. This is very similar to what Makelele did for Chelsea and Real Madrid, where he just kept his position and won the ball back and then gave it to Ballack / Lampard /  Zidane who did the rest. And we all know Ndidi is great at the other stuff, so with a bit more 1-1 coaching on sort passing, first touch / turn and control so he can play it faster and more accurately over a short distance, we should see results pretty quickly.

Despite the Newcastle game, Ndidi has definitely improved quite a lot since Rodgers took over.

• Like 1

Maybe we don't play him against teams that will sit in. Tremendous asset in games where we need a combative midfied. He wins the ball for fun and can recycle it quickly to another player. 

When he comes up against a team that'll sit in and give him time though, he looks like an extremely limited player. As said above, if he can't improve his passing then I think he'll struggle to play a major part in the team under Rodgers.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Interesting read this, Rodgers done exactly this to Scott Brown, completely simplified his role when he came in and it led to him being completely re-born as a player and winning player of the year and having some of the best stats for a midfielder in the CL the following season.  The season before Brown's legs looked to have gone and be on the way out.

I'd wager he'll turn Ndidi into a beast of a player, given he's a lot younger and a lot more athletic.  That's how I read this anyway and not as a shape up or ship out threat.

I hope you stay here, you're a good addition to the the forum ya Fenian bassa. :D

I'm originally from Coatbridge myself so Celtic was my first team and I've had a bit of grief from my Da over Brendan Rodgers coming to Leicester. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

Roughly translated as:

"He's brilliant at tackling, intercepting and generally winning the ball back. (Something we all know) I just need him to be a baller on the ball and be able to pass without giving it away." (Something else we all know as well)

He's certainly a player of extremes - a bit like being a mathematical genius but not being able to read. Hopefully, Brendan has brought his Janet and John series to Leicester.

I think they call it the sandwich method. 

Bottom bit of bread is you're a brilliant tackler Wilf.

Meat in the sandwich is your're shit with the football.

Top bit of bread is you're a great interceptor and sniffing out danger.

It's good management as there are players in the team who might be exceptional at one part of the game but struggle at other parts. BR is asking for more for every player on the pitch and in the case of Ndidi it's not enough enough for him to be exceptional as the midfield ball winner and protector of the defence and cover for Tielemans and Maddison, he wants him to be better with the ball as that role gets the ball a lot. No doubt he'll be drumming it into Maddison that creativity is not the be all and end all he has to be fitter and work harder without the ball. This is just the process of attempting to turn good players into great players. 

Edited by Gerard
  • Like 3

I’d play to his strengths. And just his strengths. I’d like to see him as a DM sat behind two midfielders who can spray the ball about.

Make Wilf the stopper, the win the ball and lay it off player. He’s brilliant at this. One of my criticisms of Puel was that he tried to make Ndidi a jack of all trades. I had no surprise when he lost confidence and form under Puel

Wilf, simply winning it and giving it to Tielemans (and one other.. not Mendy) is a recipe for success imo.

Edited by Col city fan
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

Hahahahaha!  Thanks mate!  Finding myself in an odd situation here, I originally only came on for a nosey when Rodgers left but it's a really good forum with lots of good chat so will hang around if no one objects lol!

To be honest, you’ve been one of our most insightful contributors recently. Not that you have much competition, and I include myself in that. ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

Tbh he is all ready the best (over the last couple of seasons) at tackling.

His interceptions for this season are up 40 percent on last year with 4 games to spare.

So he is still improving.

If Rodgers simplifies his passing game or improves his range it that can take him on to the elite level at what he does.

• Like 1

Kante, one of, if not the, best players we've ever had, plays a simple game. He just does it very, very well.

You often had to really pay attention to notice the brilliant work he did. If Ndidi can come close, and I think he can, then all is good.

5 hours ago, MattP said:

I really hope so because I'm up to here with Ndidi.  How a Premier League footballer can be so abysmal on the  ball is bizzare. Against Newcastle he couldn't even receive the ball and pass it on under a little bit of pressure. 

I said post Newcastle that I would love it we found a young 25 year old Steven Nzonzi. 6'5, can slot in as a 3rd CB; great passer and extremely composed on the ball. All the things Ndidi can't do, and probably never will be able to.

People say Gray hasn't improved since he came but has Ndidi actually improved in 2 and a half years?

7 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Kante, one of, if not the, best players we've ever had, plays a simple game. He just does it very, very well.

You often had to really pay attention to notice the brilliant work he did. If Ndidi can come close, and I think he can, then all is good.

Kante could, and still can, play football. Kante can actually carry the ball and pass it. He ca   receive the ball under pressure and still keep possession. 

Edited by Koke
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Koke said:

Kante could, and still can, play football. Kante can actually carry the ball and pass it. He ca  receive the ball under pressure and still keep possession. 

That's what I define as the simple things.

But he doesn't skin the wing-back, dribble past three players, flick the ball over the last defender and curl one in the top corner.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

He might have off games, but to say his passing is abysmal is simply not true, he has made over 3000 passes this year his success rate is 79% ( his highest for the club)

People forget he has played 2 and a half seasons for the club and is just 22.

A similar player Gueye 2500 83%

We are not going to have the likes of Kante again.

Sure you can get a better passer, but that player won’t be topping the Tackling stats

Do you think being spoiled to an extent with Kante leads to constant unfair comparisons with him with the same types of players?

Reason I ask is because I see this quite a lot with Celtic fans on our forum, comparing every CB we have or go for with Van Dijk when in reality it was an absolute fluke he was at us in the first place and we'd be lucky to get someone even half as good as him again in the next 20 years.

Edited by henrik_62
  • Like 3

15 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Do you think being spoiled to an extent with Kante leads to constant unfair comparisons with him with the same types of players?

Reason I ask is because I see this quite a lot with Celtic fans on our forum, comparing every CB we have or go for with Van Dijk when in reality it was an absolute fluke he was at us in the first place and we'd be lucky to get someone even half as good as him again in the next 20 years.

For sure, what are the realistic replacements/alternatives?

Sometimes a little context is needed.

Kante only had 81% passing rate (3020) here the season we won the league. yet Ndidi is an abysmal passer

I been around on here long enough to know its very fickle, one month a player is no good the next he is a world beater. Case and point Chillwell.

I think people need to remember these players are young, there stats show they are improving year on year. In the midst of various mangers over the last few years

• Like 3

I hope he improves his game better then Puel did. Puel seemed to stretch his game too much and it knocked his confidence. It's hard to say whether Ndidi would have turned the corner eventually with Puel but I'm glad Rodgers is trying to improve him in a perhaps more modest way, at least initially.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, henrik_62 said:

Really good point. Personally I have thought several times to myself "who in the world is a better defensive midfielder than Ndidi right now?" and the only one that comes to mind is Kante. There are some other good ones, but even in the Premier League I honestly don't think we could get anyone better. Maybe Gana for Everton who has also done well but is probably around the same level as Ndidi but older. Players like Fernandinho, Fabinho, Keita aren't the same type of player and wouldn't be so good for us.

Of course Kante is the best in that role, even if Chelsea don't use him that way any more. But you are right in that his title winning season spoiled us so much that even when we have an excellent player in Ndidi, we look at the negative instead of the positives.

Ndidi does have a number of flaws to his game, but overall for such a young player is a pretty awesome defensive midfielder. Him, Maddison and Tielemans is a really exciting trio, with a bit of everything.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The good news is that BR said he didn't want Ndidi "in the box shooting."

The bad news is that he didn't tell him not to shoot from outside of the box. :D

Edited by Jordan
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1