Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
James the Fox

All Eliite Wrestling (AEW)

5 hours ago, kingfox said:

What you wouldn’t get with WWE though, is matches like Britt Baker vs Thunder Rosa.

I’d rather watch badass matches like that, over the childish shit WWE produce, especially on Raw.

Both companies have problems, but AEW being TV 14 makes them more bearable.

I don't think that's fair tbf, of my limited viewing Walter is probably the best wrestler on the planet atm and his matches are phenomenal in terms of hard hitting and actually losing a sense of disbelief which is hard to do with any of this modern style . Like I say I'm not defending the fed here but I think acting like AEW isn't as corny is a bit rose tinted glasses tbh

Edited by The Horse's Mouth

3 hours ago, Scotch said:

What I think people forget sometimes is there SHOULD be an element of silliness to wrestling. It HAS to be wacky and ridiculous at times otherwise its just an elaborate, coordinated UFC. 

The problem comes when it's unbalanced. I've not watched WWE in about 6 years but I stopped watching it because the ratio between silly segments/promos and actual matches was way off. I don't know if it's still the same but there was the odd 5/7 minute match mixed in with about an hour and a half of senseless babbling. It became unwatchable so I stopped. 

One of the things that always makes me laugh when people claim wrestling should be edgy and hard hitting is they always use the attitude era as an example, conveniently forgetting that although it was more geared towards teens/young adults, it still had its silly side to it... Perry Saturn's love affair with a mop. May young giving birth to a giant hand,a 1950s sitcom character gimmick, William regal as a lumberjack etc etc.  

Comedy is important in wrestling I agree, but a lot of the modern comedy is just G rated shit and also they don't have the personalities to pull it off. Vince did some absolute hilarious stuff on camera but it's something only he could do. I tell you what Jericho had a good balance in his initial run as the heel champion, there was the youngest aew champion ever and getting Virgil out and all that shit, was actually funny. But a lot of it is corny bollocks

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

I don't think that's fair tbf, of my limited viewing Walter is probably the best wrestler on the planet atm and his matches are phenomenal in terms of hard hitting and actually losing a sense of disbelief which is hard to do with any of this modern style . Like I say I'm not defending the fed here but I think acting like AEW isn't as corny is a bit rose tinted glasses tbh

And what brand is he on? 

NXT.

You stick him on Raw, then god knows what would happen, look at Karrion Kross already.

• Like 1

I absolutely adore Luchasaurus as a gimmick 😂 😂 the best bit about it for me is how they’ve not just gone he’s just a Dinosaur, he’s a Dinosaur with a Masters Degree, it’s a bit deeper and pokes fun at itself - Kris Statlander was also a great shout as well she’s the same and it’s great - I wonder how far Abadon might end up in the end? One to watch. 

What struck me was when I watched back a few episodes of RAW from the Attitude era - they generally watch different now I’ve gotten older - the crowd investment is really what made it so awesome, it had that energy, the actual storylines and matches were remarkably average and not as coherent as I remembered as a younger bloke.

what I find so cool about AEW is you can tell Tony Khan was someone like me growing up, he has long storylines like the Page/Dark Order/Elite one, he’s brought wrestling up in my view from what it was - and all those lapsed fans seem to be coming back. Vince is Vince - look at Karrion Kross this week! His gimmick has hit 1980 in 2021 😆 and that’s because Vince is of that era. 

I really hope their next PPV does a crazy number for them it would be very encouraging

49 minutes ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

Comedy is important in wrestling I agree, but a lot of the modern comedy is just G rated shit and also they don't have the personalities to pull it off. Vince did some absolute hilarious stuff on camera but it's something only he could do. I tell you what Jericho had a good balance in his initial run as the heel champion, there was the youngest aew champion ever and getting Virgil out and all that shit, was actually funny. But a lot of it is corny bollocks

Jericho is great at it. Owen was probably the best as far as being a heel who could inject comedy into his role.

More recently, I always enjoyed the Miz. 

1 hour ago, kingfox said:

And what brand is he on? 

NXT.

You stick him on Raw, then god knows what would happen, look at Karrion Kross already.

worse he's on NXT UK, NXT won't even be the same as it was after it failed to kill off AEW, some of the wrestlers in WWE could put on awesome matches same as in AEW but Vince won't let them, he makes them all wrestle the same way there is no variety so the shows feel long and boring.

Oh and they have just brought back one of they most popular stars as a heel killing the next biggest star in the division in the process

23 hours ago, Scotch said:

Jericho is great at it. Owen was probably the best as far as being a heel who could inject comedy into his role.

More recently, I always enjoyed the Miz. 

Miz is a great one, I feel like he can keep the right balance, he'd actually be excellent for AEW. He's everything the neckbeards can't stand 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

What a show that was 🙇‍♂️ utterly brilliant from top to bottom. Amazing to think this is what wrestling should be but hasn’t been for so long.

The last segment after the title match (not to mention spoilers) literally had me grinning from ear to ear, loved the vibe of the Outsiders in wCw with the first part of it all as well. 👏 👏  

On 25/08/2021 at 23:12, TAFKA Castroneves said:

What struck me was when I watched back a few episodes of RAW from the Attitude era - they generally watch different now I’ve gotten older - the crowd investment is really what made it so awesome, it had that energy, the actual storylines and matches were remarkably average and not as coherent as I remembered as a younger bloke.

Absolutely. A lot of it was garbage really, but the roster was just so stacked with charisma, which is the one thing majorly missing these days. The in ring product is so much better nowadays but you could argue it's overexposed, there's only so many superkicks and suicide dives I can watch before I get jaded. You watch back some old Raws and pretty much every match ends with a DQ/interference within a couple of minutes. lol 

All Out was really good. Not watched a lot of AEW but they're building quite the roster now. Can't wait for the eventual Punk vs Bryan. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Where is it possible to watch this back?  I've seen bits and pieces on FB and it feels old school.  Might be worth some time.  It's not been right since the mid 2000s.

Forget the game, you should arrange a naked wrestling match with Neil Ferguson - (much like Alan Bates and Oliver Reid in Ken Loach's 'Women in Love') - then charge for the stream. Toby Young would love that. 

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Where is it possible to watch this back?  I've seen bits and pieces on FB and it feels old school.  Might be worth some time.  It's not been right since the mid 2000s.

FiteTv. 

Genuinely one of the best PPV’s I’ve watched in a very long time. Great matches top to bottom. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Itll be on ITV soon enough I'm sure, make sure to record it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Fite.tv if you have an Amazon Firestick you can download the app

Edited by Jimmy
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Libertine said:

Absolutely. A lot of it was garbage really, but the roster was just so stacked with charisma, which is the one thing majorly missing these days. The in ring product is so much better nowadays but you could argue it's overexposed, there's only so many superkicks and suicide dives I can watch before I get jaded. You watch back some old Raws and pretty much every match ends with a DQ/interference within a couple of minutes. lol 

All Out was really good. Not watched a lot of AEW but they're building quite the roster now. Can't wait for the eventual Punk vs Bryan. 

This is so right 👍 I’ll give AEW a bit of credit you can tell they’ve adjusted the balance a bit in the product as they were very heavy on the high spots style of wrestling for a while back there - All Out was very balanced when it came to in-ring styles. Also only really the Lucha Brothers and Young Bucks/Omega and Christian would have probably been “four star” plus matches on the show, the rest were all decent three star range - with the added bonus of a very hot crowd. 

Gotta say though the Bucks and Lucha Brothers for me really stole the show in their match. The moment where the Bucks look like they’ve got the match won and then Fenix pops up to break the count and the crowd just goes mad was awesome, they had them so invested and by the end it was a proper classic. 

I think the point about overexposure is interesting because I was thinking ironically AEW is so transparent post their shows with their scrums, Tony just sits down and they just all openly talk - which I really like - despite it being behind the forth wall of wrestling a lot of it. Gives me a sense of the company trying an approach like these panel tv shows for the Walking Dead and etc - where they know we know it’s “fake” so why not treat the fans as being smart, I think that’s working for them as well as they aren’t treating their audiences like idiots.

its genuinely the most exciting time since the rise of WCW all this. Ironically WWE created this as well. If their product had been a bit more coherent and allowed more rounded superstar progression I imagine TK would have had no reason to setup his own wrestling federation.

• Like 1