Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

10 hours ago, Fox in the North said:

It’s not VAR that’s the problem though is it?

As a system it works perfectly fine, but needs fine tuning. The reason this has been so poor is because of the people operating VAR.

The ref operating var gave the dodgy retake call (anything in slow motion will always look worse) and the ref on the field chose not to add the right amount of time on. 

Var is meant to give people the tools to make the right decision. As what we’ve all seen, it’s still down to human interpretation and judgement.

Well said and finally someone who looks at the real reasons. Too many people just moan about VAR in general. It needs the people operating it to get better but let's not forget it is new for everyone (only been used for a year and only in certain tournaments). Plus, the operators need a clear set of rules, this is also not always the case.

I think the penalty rule is ridiculous. There are infringements all over the pitch. Penalty takers stuttering, other players running into the box, not just the goalkeeper being off the line. If they reviewed every penalty, for various reasons, 9 out of 10 would have to be retaken. In regards to a goalkeeper (and I played as one for many years), it's going to be hard to stay in one place, on the line, unless you are pretty much motionless. Not being able to stand behind the line is weird. What they are basically trying to do is prevent a keeper from getting momentum when jumping into a corner and thus giving more chance to the taker of scoring.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Well said and finally someone who looks at the real reasons. Too many people just moan about VAR in general. It needs the people operating it to get better but let's not forget it is new for everyone (only been used for a year and only in certain tournaments). Plus, the operators need a clear set of rules, this is also not always the case.

I think the penalty rule is ridiculous. There are infringements all over the pitch. Penalty takers stuttering, other players running into the box, not just the goalkeeper being off the line. If they reviewed every penalty, for various reasons, 9 out of 10 would have to be retaken. In regards to a goalkeeper (and I played as one for many years), it's going to be hard to stay in one place, on the line, unless you are pretty much motionless. Not being able to stand behind the line is weird. What they are basically trying to do is prevent a keeper from getting momentum when jumping into a corner and thus giving more chance to the taker of scoring.

The goalkeeper penalty rule will not be VAR enforced in the prem next season but I expect it will be in European fixtures 

it’s a stupid rule as it also prevents the GK from beginning behind the line - how can you see if your foot is in contact with a line if you are looking at the ball ??

Guest bss9401

Penalty coaching for goalkeepers:-

Option 1: Stand still 

Option 2: Choose a direction, plant a foot then dive as quick and as far as you can. 

Surely that is not too hard to understand. 

22 hours ago, Vlad the Fox said:

Regarding var on the penalty, the foot on the line seems harsh, if the keeper is jumping up and down when the ball is struck and he just happens to be in the air, would be tough to take if his feet aren’t in front of the line. Especially after all the silly and dallying that the penalty takers get up to. 

Agree. Also what I did not realise until today was that it is also an automatic yellow for the keeper. if they are going to enforce this then if the taker breaks their run up (including hesitation like Pogba's stupid hippity hoppity run ups) then the goal should be disallowed and a yellow card given to the taker for unsporting behaviour.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, urban fox said:

Agree. Also what I did not realise until today was that it is also an automatic yellow for the keeper. if they are going to enforce this then if the taker breaks their run up (including hesitation like Pogba's stupid hippity hoppity run ups) then the goal should be disallowed and a yellow card given to the taker for unsporting behaviour.

I can see this rule being scratched/changed very soon

The groups are sorted, with only a couple of minor surprises.  Here’s fivethirtyeight’s view of the round of 16. 

WWC16.JPG.0436005cefa6fb72be6bd8d33c255de6.JPG

Who are even odds to make the semis?  Only Germany and England -- because one between France and the USA won’t survive their quarterfinal.  You lot are mastering the art of finding the soft side of the bracket  :dry:

• Like 1

On 20/06/2019 at 13:38, st albans fox said:

The goalkeeper penalty rule will not be VAR enforced in the prem next season but I expect it will be in European fixtures 

it’s a stupid rule as it also prevents the GK from beginning behind the line - how can you see if your foot is in contact with a line if you are looking at the ball ??

Crazy idea, we could end up with goalkeepers getting sent off for a second yellow for coming off their line , we could also end up with a goalkeeper getting red carded after 2 penalties in a penalty shoot out! I think some of these ideas have been invented by those who didn't get pick to play at school 

28 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

GSTQ is probably the worst anthem going but Advance Australia Fair isn't far behind.

I noticed only maybe half the team sang along. Has that same sorta disjointed feel as GSTQ, which makes it less exciting.

In contrast, I think it was Romania's anthem from yesterday, that has that real belting out kinda marching feel and you see the players and the fans giving their all when they sing it.

As a Canadian, can't brag either. O' Canada isn't the greatest anthem ever.

Edited by spacemunky