Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Izzy

Women's World Cup 2019

45 minutes ago, Izzy said:

This.

In fact, the entire professional mens game could take lessons. It's been very refreshing to see matches played in the right spirit and its a credit to the women's game.

True.

The ref was fantastic in the game too. Clearly in charge but not the centre of attention, Better than most of the male refs I've watched this season (and a lot nicer to look at :ph34r:).

The Japanese were magnificent in the second half and deserved the draw but goals count and the Vardy lookalike striker put both those chances away clinically against a keeper who had made some magnificent saves in the match.

Really enjoyed that.

Just now, isaidno said:

Foots on the goal line when the ball is hit. 

No both feet off the ground when the ball is struck. Technically correct decision but still harsh not a lot in it. would never had been picked up in real time but of course VAR has hindsight of slow-mo and freeze frame. Not really sure that this is the spirit of what VAR should be about. A bit like the big toe offside decisions. Problem is if you use it then you have to be accurate or you are open to criticism. 

It’s not VAR that’s the problem though is it?

As a system it works perfectly fine, but needs fine tuning. The reason this has been so poor is because of the people operating VAR.

The ref operating var gave the dodgy retake call (anything in slow motion will always look worse) and the ref on the field chose not to add the right amount of time on. 

Var is meant to give people the tools to make the right decision. As what we’ve all seen, it’s still down to human interpretation and judgement.

On 14/06/2019 at 23:37, Izzy said:

:D I had the women’s football on BBC and the golf on Sky go on my laptop at the same time.

Gotta say I was impressed with the Argentina keeper and some of England’s possession play. Also enjoyed Scotland’s goal earlier today.

I guess my take on the women’s football I’ve seen so far this week is that there’s the odd moment of good stuff mixed in with some poor stuff. I do get frustrated with the lack of quality of the final ball sometimes but it is what it is. 

Best thing is that they just get on with it and don’t Fvck about play acting. And they have a laugh with the ref too. Think it’s been played in great spirit so far.

Think the US will take some beating mind :thumbup:

Short memories...

we had years of men's football league & international letting us down......and you obviously shouting out your thoughts on the terarasses and throwing your slippers at the TV..Then we had those great few women World cups,with sexy celebrations...plus some top football!?

It was obvious then..like men's sports,it has its high and lows,and even poor days...So be ashamed that your bathchair years haven't made you wiser,and your dunking your experience in the name of discrimination...but you might be going through one of your phases...So we will let you off and show understanding....

Because we don't want to discriminate against..old fuddy ,duddies with old fluffy slippers..now do we...

Ps have you found the slipper you that you threw at the TV??     :facepalm:.:crylaugh:

I felt the ref..spent to much aggressive time .warning the Scottish goalkeeper...no time warning penalty taker..I am English...but that smelt of

Corrupt officialdom..against the Scots...

Especially when one could see the money..in the VARS-officials eyes..

Congrats to the Lionesses for winning their group in an entertaining match.  The Fox analysts (JP Dellacamera, Aly Wagner) thought Japan exposed a couple of weaknesses:

1. Stamina to see games out

2. Center-backs.  Japan targeted them with endless attacks down the middle, and they were getting through.

I also think you missed Parris, she seems to be the livewire and might have rebalanced the pitch in the second half.

Edited by KingsX

1 hour ago, ealingfox said:

It's weird seeing two players challenge for a ball without one of them hitting the deck regardless of contact.

Common, you all know why they don't dive - because unlike men's game there's no dozens of millions on stake.

If one peno gives 15 million pounds to your club (let's say it helps your club to get into CL place) - they WILL dive just the same.

I'm all for VAR if going to look at possible fouls that ref has missed, or red cards or missed offsides.  But surely nobody wants a system that rules out a goal because a hair on someone's nose is offside, or rule out a penalty save because the keeper moved their foot off the line a millisecond before the ball was struck. Its just getting silly. If you're half a body offside or the keeper is halfway to the six yard line and the official misses it, fair enough, VAR gets involved, but this way is daft. 

Tennis has it right. Technology is down to a millimetre, but its usage is limited. It's not used everytime the ball is near the line, the players make a judgement call when to ask for it. Already with VAR when the ball goes dead, we stop for a review, so hand the decision to review penalty/offside calls to the coach or captain. At the next moment the ball goes dead they can make the request, otherwise the original ref decision stands if they don't think its worth questioning. Limit to say 3 or 5 a game.

• Like 3

Regarding var on the penalty, the foot on the line seems harsh, if the keeper is jumping up and down when the ball is struck and he just happens to be in the air, would be tough to take if his feet aren’t in front of the line. Especially after all the silly and dallying that the penalty takers get up to.