Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Callum McGregor

25 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

We hate it when the "big clubs" make arrogant pops at us then we do it to other teams with no sense of self awareness.  Unfortunately Scottish football is not at its best right now but football should be enjoyed on all levels by all people, never looked down on.  Supposed to be a game of the people I always thought.  Anyway, regarding McGregor, any Celtic supporting people I know up here all rave about him.  X

Clubs like ours have won the lottery in world football standing. We're now arguably about the 20th most powerful club in football purely because of the money coming into the PL. A couple of decades a go clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, Benfica, Porto, etc were much bigger clubs but money has turned it around on it's head.

As someone who was brought up in Scotland as a Celtic fan I know what a big club Celtic and Rangers are. Unfortunately for them they're now being strangled as a significant clubs due to the confinement of their own leagues and watching clubs like Bournemouth go ahead of them in the pecking order. 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Gerard said:

Clubs like ours have won the lottery in world football standing. We're now arguably about the 20th most powerful club in football purely because of the money coming into the PL. A couple of decades a go clubs like Celtic, Rangers, Ajax, Benfica, Porto, etc were much bigger clubs but money has turned it around on it's head.

As someone who was brought up in Scotland as a Celtic fan I know what a big club Celtic and Rangers are. Unfortunately for them they're now being strangled as a significant clubs due to the confinement of their own leagues and watching clubs like Bournemouth go ahead of them in the pecking order. 

Yeah, completely agree just think it's classless rubbing it in.  I love football of all levels, pretty Sure Celtic and Rangers will have their day again at some point whilst we're scraping around in the Championship.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, henrik_62 said:

We’re back this morning but I reckon McGregor may have another week off as he only just finished up last week after playing in the Scotland game which was his 69th match of the season.

Absolutely relentless the season for players at Celtic. 69 matches.

If we buy him I hope Brendan sends him, a personal trainer, and the rest of his entourage over to his place in Tenerife for a month.

7 minutes ago, murphy said:

That's just it.  The money in the EPL has made us a force, but by accident really.  It's luck, it's not an achievement that we can boast about, we're just riding on the coat tails.

The EPL is the league that worldwide audiences want to see the most but I very much doubt that they are paying their subscriptions to watch Leicester.  We need to keep a sense of perspective and history and keep some humility.

That's the key bit for me.  Some teams are big, some not so, some riding a wave, some struggling but it's all football.  I enjoy watching Burton Albion as much as Barcelona if it's a decent game.  X

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, murphy said:

That's just it.  The money in the EPL has made us a force, but by accident really.  It's luck, it's not an achievement that we can boast about, we're just riding on the coat tails.

The EPL is the league that worldwide audiences want to see the most but I very much doubt that they are paying their subscriptions to watch Leicester.  We need to keep a sense of perspective and history and keep some humility.

Surprising to think about how connected the world economic system, politics and football are. Saudi Oil money won't be there forever. Money(energy) shifts endlessly.

M City and PSG could disappear in a heartbeat. Same goes for any club. Enjoy what you have now. Because nothing ever lasts and never will in football.

and now back..........

14 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

From reading that I get the impression he’s very much like Harry Winks I’m not sure if that’s a poor example. McGregor the Scottish Xavi lol 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

We’re back this morning but I reckon McGregor may have another week off as he only just finished up last week after playing in the Scotland game which was his 69th match of the season.

How your injury list isn’t through the roof is beyond me. The seasons only just finished n you boys are already back in. Genuinely really surprised by that. 

Maybe thats something we can use to persuade him to sign, longer holidays lol 

Edited by Bluearmyfox28
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, murphy said:

Love that last sentence well said :appl:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Only thing I would argue is, our Prem and CL achievements of 15/16 and 16/17 were done on budgets way less than what we are seeing now and comparable to bigger clubs in inferior leagues. If there's one team in the Prem who can be applauded for their achievements without the money that's been dished out, it's us.

Oh yes, I agree.  The title win was magnificent and I don't think I will stop reminding people of it until my dying day. Now that was an achievement!

All I was saying, was that the riches of the Premier League have given us financial firepower beyond the means of many traditionally bigger European clubs.  That is our good fortune but it is not an achievement.  We shouldn't now be lulled into thinking that we are big shots, forgetting about history and looking down on bigger, but less well off clubs.  I just think that when some people do that, it makes us look arrogant and stupid.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Gerard said:

You are right about us being ahead of where we probably should be in the grand scheme of things. 

The factor that I take pride in is that we got to the Premier League through hard work, astute signings, gambles on players like Vardy, Drinkwater etc but also by putting faith in them. 

Foundations and restructuring laid down by Pearson and implemented by his staff and the players.

We all knew the reward for promotion, but we got there with heartache, resilience, graft and one of the best squad atmospheres around. 

We are lucky that the prize was unbelievable riches, but we weren’t lucky to win that prize. 

Of course we should always remember where we came from, but we shouldn’t be feel lucky to be where we are, from top (literally) to bottom, we earned this! 

Edited by Leeds Fox
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, SO1 said:

Absolutely relentless the season for players at Celtic. 69 matches.

If we buy him I hope Brendan sends him, a personal trainer, and the rest of his entourage over to his place in Tenerife for a month.

Yeah and the insane thing is he missed 4-5 games when he was out injured for a month at one point lol!

2 hours ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

How your injury list isn’t through the roof is beyond me. The seasons only just finished n you boys are already back in. Genuinely really surprised by that. 

Maybe thats something we can use to persuade him to sign, longer holidays lol 

It has been tbh, had horrific level of injuries this season.

Guest Markyblue
4 hours ago, murphy said:

Hold on a minute. By accident we deserved to win the championship and then won the premier league spending peanuts.luck .. take a look at yourself fellow, yes the money helps but we have helped ourselves. 

51 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Hold on a minute. By accident we deserved to win the championship and then won the premier league spending peanuts.luck .. take a look at yourself fellow, yes the money helps but we have helped ourselves. 

Sometimes I think I must be writing in mandarin....:rolleyes:

We earned promotion and we won the premier league which was a monumental, near superhuman feat for us....but then I never said that it was lucky.

The fact that the EPL these days gives it's clubs money beyond the dreams of all the other European leagues and therefore gives us the ability to outbid much bigger clubs is the part that is lucky.   @Gerard put it better than I have:

5 hours ago, Gerard said:

Anyway, Callum McGregor...

18 hours ago, mozartfox said:

Celtic Chat needs people like you. There are a lot of comedians on there. BTW This is a Leicester City Forum.

Please stop this nonsense. 

i certainly appreciate his input/ comments on players we could possibly sign. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Have Celtic started back training? No way???

That’s mental that. Finishing your season at the end of May then rocking up for pre season mid June... Atleast there’s no need for the fitness checks! 

Edited by Bluearmyfox28
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, henrik_62 said:

It has been tbh, had horrific level of injuries this season.

Got to give your boys some credit then to be honest. Not only did they have the mental pressure of getting the treble, the physical pressure on top of that. It’s more of an achievement than I originally thought.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SO1 said:

Surprising to think about how connected the world economic system, politics and football are. Saudi Oil money won't be there forever. Money(energy) shifts endlessly.

M City and PSG could disappear in a heartbeat. Same goes for any club. Enjoy what you have now. Because nothing ever lasts and never will in football.

and now back..........

That's why it's so important to have a legacy to show for our time in the sun. Seagrave and a stadium makeover will be forever reminders of this era.

25 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Got to give your boys some credit then to be honest. Not only did they have the mental pressure of getting the treble, the physical pressure on top of that. It’s more of an achievement than I originally thought.

It is. But I do wonder if it leads to a 'don't want to look like a wuss' mindset that caused Benkovic (any thus maybe others) to come back before his ankle was ready. I believe he's on record saying he was aware at the time it was probably not quite right. Not for a moment saying he was pushed/cajoled into it, just conscious it's the sort of thing that can become a 'badge of honour'.

• Like 1