Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
bald reynard

Callum McGregor

I was talking to a mate who's a Notts County fan.  I didn't know McGregor had a season on loan at Meadow Lane in 2013/14.  He was their Young Player of the Season that year - and was nominated for the Player of the Season.  Although only 19, he took the Division by storm, playing a full season and scoring 12 goals.  Admittedly it was only League 2, but such a dominant season in a physically hard League, is remarkable for a young player.  My mate reckons he could see quality even then - and thought he'd quickly go beyond Scottish Premiership level.  9 caps for Scotland in 18 months - and a regular at 24.  

• Thanks 1

He's a good player and worth a go in the top flight of English football. Only time will tell if he's capable and a good fit and its impossible to presume either way. He will end up here, with us or another club.

Seems to have all the ingredients though. I'm happy enough with this.

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

If Tielemans mugs us off, then McGregor is the one I want straight in no messing.

Really?  3 goals and 0 assists in the SPL last year according to whoscored.

That's a bit like swapping your Rolls Royce for a Fiat isn't it?

edit - footystats.org has him down for 3 goals and 10 assists.  Nonetheless, I dread to think what kind of numbers Youri would post in the SPL.

Edited by murphy

3 hours ago, murphy said:

Really?  3 goals and 0 assists in the SPL last year according to whoscored.

That's a bit like swapping your Rolls Royce for a Fiat isn't it?

edit - footystats.org has him down for 3 goals and 10 assists.  Nonetheless, I dread to think what kind of numbers Youri would post in the SPL.

6 goals and 16 assists in all competitions. He won't boast Youri's end product, not many will.

7 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

6 goals and 16 assists in all competitions. He won't boast Youri's end product, not many will.

footystats.org says 6 goals and 12 assists in all competitions, but all competitions amounts to a whopping 59 games.  That's more than 1.5 PL seasons.

I admit, I don't know anything about him except in terms of numbers playing for a dominant team in a poor league, but he doesn't seem good enough to me.  Especially not to fill Youri's boots.  

If we can't get Tielemans, there has to be better out there.

Edited by murphy

On 15/06/2019 at 11:44, bald reynard said:

I was talking to a mate who's a Notts County fan.  I didn't know McGregor had a season on loan at Meadow Lane in 2013/14.  He was their Young Player of the Season that year - and was nominated for the Player of the Season.  Although only 19, he took the Division by storm, playing a full season and scoring 12 goals.  Admittedly it was only League 2, but such a dominant season in a physically hard League, is remarkable for a young player.  My mate reckons he could see quality even then - and thought he'd quickly go beyond Scottish Premiership level.  9 caps for Scotland in 18 months - and a regular at 24.  

The entirety of our first team squad would easily get a nomination of Notts County's player of the season. I reckon they'd all breeze nine caps in the Scottish national team too. That said, this guy looks a good backup if we don't get Tielemans or even if we do and want a better quality bench warmer for Yuri and James although I wouldn't mind trying Hamza further up front in those times.

14 minutes ago, Sly said:

You could play KDB in centre mid and he wouldn’t get 20+ assists.

If you’ve got dog shit putting them away .....

Of course he would.

Celtic scored 77 goals in the league last year so your point doesn't really bear scrutiny.

Just now, winteriscoming said:

Apparently Chris Sutton isn’t happy if he joins us - get him in!!! 

Yes I saw that.  The Twat really has it in for BR.  

• Like 1

Gerrimin.

Then loan him back to Celtic.

Then recall him within 24 hours.

On a serious note, a fair few of my cousins are Celtic fans (sadly) and I've text a couple, they think he's quality.