Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
jim5000

Playing UK only friendlies

1 hour ago, SemperEadem said:

Are we though? 

Even when we were big dogs I don’t recall Lincoln fans or Mansfield flocking to see us.

Doesn’t help that most of these games are midweek though. Notts County got a decent crowd with us on a Saturday fixture. 

6 hours ago, AKCJ said:

I much prefer this to things like the PL Asia Cup or the International Champions Cup or whatever they’re called.

Does beg the question about our commercial revenue though. Are we deliberately not maximizing our earning potential or is it a sign of a weakness in our off the pitch side of the business. 

Everton and Newcastle generate more income than us, they have bigger grounds but it also comes from sponsorship. I would baulk at them being commercially more attractive, certainly Newcastle who are the bins. Neither team have won anything in a quarter of a century either, about as exciting as a petrol station sandwich. 

We've not been involved in any of these pre-season tournaments have we for a few seasons now?

6 hours ago, Danizen said:

Another benefit is, after these games, the players are going home to their families. Anyone who's worked away for a significant period of time knows that travelling around with work takes it's toll on you mentally. 

Unless they’ve got a 2 or 3 year old, in which case they’d be begging for a trip abroad! 

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Does beg the question about our commercial revenue though. Are we deliberately not maximizing our earning potential or is it a sign of a weakness in our off the pitch side of the business. 

Everton and Newcastle generate more income than us, they have bigger grounds but it also comes from sponsorship. I would baulk at them being commercially more attractive, certainly Newcastle who are the bins. Neither team have won anything in a quarter of a century either, about as exciting as a petrol station sandwich. 

We've not been involved in any of these pre-season tournaments have we for a few seasons now?

Our sponsorship is taken by the owners for the 2 biggest assets tho. And they have always used the fact they wrote of debts etc as a reason to pay under market rate for ground and shirt sponsorship.

Our deal to move too Adidas was also less lucrative than the puma deal. But the club felt Adidas was a more premium brand so it was worth take a hit there as well.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Bayfox said:

Our sponsorship is taken by the owners for the 2 biggest assets tho. And they have always used the fact they wrote of debts etc as a reason to pay under market rate for ground and shirt sponsorship.

Our deal to move too Adidas was also less lucrative than the puma deal. But the club felt Adidas was a more premium brand so it was worth take a hit there as well.

Suppose it's less of an issue with FFP now anyway.

These are our fixtures and results in 2015/16 and local games did us no harm as we went on to win the league!! I think this seasons fixtures will keep our lads fresher than traipsing around the world.

Lincoln City 1–3 Leicester City

Mansfield Town 1–1 Leicester City

Burton Albion 1–2 Leicester City

Rotherham United 1–2 Leicester City

Birmingham City 2–3 Leicester City

The following season it was glamour ties v Celtic in Scotland, PSG in the US and Barca in Sweden. We started the season looking knackered and got done by a Hull side who could barely put a side out. We won 3,drew 4 and lost 7 of our opening fixtures and looked heavy legged and lethargic at times. We rallied later on though. In 2017/18 it was over to Hong Kong for two friendlies. We won 1,drew 3 and lost 4 of our opening 8 games. Last season we didn't go long haul but played friendlies in France and two in Austria. 4 wins and 5 losses in our opening 9 games. 

Lets hope not putting the commercial side first boosts us early season.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Playing lower teams also helps them  out when we are potentially their marquee game. 

Agree. We should be playing the Sheep and the Trees every pre-season.

• Like 1

I'm guessing the club has learned from a few seasons ago when the players were were way off the mark following a pre season travelling and playing abroad. We were shocking when we started that season and it really affected us. Staying in the UK gives us a massive advantage IMO

On 18/07/2019 at 18:20, LCFC FOX said:

I don’t want us to play big European sides over in Asia or America or anywhere far like that just for a money tournament. 

However I would love us to travel to a European country for a week (like Evian) but actually play against two or three local sides at proper stadiums that fans can attend. 

I doubt we see too much of that money

After travel costs,stadium use..it's more about putting/selling  the clubs on the WWide map,taking ,and showing ourselves around Europe/World picking up new fans then new sponsorships.or honouring previously signed sponsorship deals..

My own view..stay in Europe and UK,

Play then 4-6 warm up/friendly. Games.

Results not important...Probably once every 3-5 years play in a prestige tournament...The world is smaller,so I understand when we occasionally go out and spread the word.

Better still if we have home(tournament) games with and/or American European/Scottish/Irish teams comingi into our neighbourhood.

In the end this part of the business is not about present fans or their opinions.

I've read most of the points in this topic,but potentially if Leicester wanted to sell their brand, they missed the ship.   Shinji Okazaki would have made Leicester a big name if they had a mini tour in Japan.   I hate seeing the Barca and real Madrid shirts.......   Just like when man u.....where dominant:(