Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
49er

Brendan you have £80m to spend before transfer deadline

Just now, Mehrez said:

Mate we’re not signing Sancho, Saul, Bale or Lukaku. You need to lower your expectations a bit 

Go to the top of this thread and see what Top has told Brendan, so that you will then have the context for these discussions

24 minutes ago, SheppyFox said:

I’m hoping for another £100m spent this week.

I'm pretty sure we will hit that number. With Maguire leaving we are actually at -9 million spent, and it was pretty clear that we did not need to sell to balance the books. If you look at what we have spent compared to Villa who have only just come up (!) we have plenty in reserve.

I agree with @UniFox21 in that rather than going for marquee players, we are better off going for good players with a good attitude and not players with egos. Perez for me has already shown in preseason that a hardworking player with some talent improves the team no end, and Ricardo and Maddison showed it all through last season. I think we will see another CB, another attacking midfielder and another wide forward signed, at between 20-30m each with maybe the CB being a crazy amount if we go for Tarkowski or Dunk.

I suppose another marquee signing is not impossible, but I think we've seen our first team for the season line up already. Maguire's place is still there to be filled / contested, but I think other players will be there for depth more than to start. Personally from what I have seen in preseason, I already feel our team is looking very good! Sure it can always be improved but it's the first time in ages where I feel quietly confident about the team we have in place.

I would imagine this really is a nice position for Rodgers to be in, and it will be interesting to see who he goes for!

• Like 2

Just now, 49er said:

Go to the top of this thread and see what Top has told Brendan, so that you will then have the context for these discussions

Just don’t get the point of discussing pure fantasy, certainly doesn’t belong in the transfer forum

• Like 1

Just now, Mehrez said:

Just don’t get the point of discussing pure fantasy, certainly doesn’t belong in the transfer forum

So, all the comments made in the transfer forum were all true and 100% accurate - for example, everyone knew at the outset that Harry was going to Man Utd for £80m so any comments made about him not leaving would have no place on this forum?

5 minutes ago, 49er said:

So, all the comments made in the transfer forum were all true and 100% accurate - for example, everyone knew at the outset that Harry was going to Man Utd for £80m so any comments made about him not leaving would have no place on this forum?

There quite clearly a difference between a thread on maguire potentially leaving and one on us suggesting we sign Sancho, I get the point of your thread just don’t see what the point of suggesting we sign players that are obviously completely unobtainable.

But whilst I’m here I’ll suggest we offer a £75m loan fee to PSG for a year of Mbappe

Edited by Mehrez
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, 49er said:

I don't know what you're on about. How is speculating about Maguire's future comparable to fantasising about signing Sancho or Saul?

You should rename this thread "Best Player on the Planet Available to Any Club on the Planet for £80m." I don't see the point of it.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Raw Dykes said:

I don't know what you're on about. How is speculating about Maguire's future comparable to fantasising about signing Sancho or Saul?

You should rename this thread "Best Player on the Planet Available to Any Club on the Planet for £80m." I don't see the point of it.

What was the point of mentioning the possibility of Tielemans coming here when there was no chance of it ever happening because he wouldn't come to a small club like Leicester?

1 minute ago, 49er said:

What was the point of mentioning the possibility of Tielemans coming here when there was no chance of it ever happening because he wouldn't come to a small club like Leicester?

Are you trying to tell me that you believe we could realistically go out and sign anyone we like, so long as we have the cash?

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

I'm pretty sure we will hit that number. With Maguire leaving we are actually at -9 million spent, and it was pretty clear that we did not need to sell to balance the books. If you look at what we have spent compared to Villa who have only just come up (!) we have plenty in reserve.

I agree with @UniFox21 in that rather than going for marquee players, we are better off going for good players with a good attitude and not players with egos. Perez for me has already shown in preseason that a hardworking player with some talent improves the team no end, and Ricardo and Maddison showed it all through last season. I think we will see another CB, another attacking midfielder and another wide forward signed, at between 20-30m each with maybe the CB being a crazy amount if we go for Tarkowski or Dunk.

I suppose another marquee signing is not impossible, but I think we've seen our first team for the season line up already. Maguire's place is still there to be filled / contested, but I think other players will be there for depth more than to start. Personally from what I have seen in preseason, I already feel our team is looking very good! Sure it can always be improved but it's the first time in ages where I feel quietly confident about the team we have in place.

I would imagine this really is a nice position for Rodgers to be in, and it will be interesting to see who he goes for!

Whilst a marquee signing would be great and brilliant for the fans and the media; we've seen how a bad attitude can ruin a squad or break squad harmony.  

As I said earlier, I'd much rather spend the same money on several astute signings who fit in with the squad and add quality to the team in numerous positions rather than putting all it all on one player. 

The squad is in a great place, we're in need of maybe 1 or 2 additions to give us a solid team. I'm hoping we can add those additions in the coming days. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, 49er said:

I'm not quite sure you understand the theme of this thread. If we were buying someone for £80m who falls into this category, recognising, of course, they may not want to come here etc

In that case, Ronaldo. Probably dropped to about £80m. Obviously he might not want to come here but who knows...

Just now, Raw Dykes said:

Are you trying to tell me that you believe we could realistically go out and sign anyone we like, so long as we have the cash?

If,for example, Brendan is given the go ahead to spend £80m on one player, then clearly there are only so many players that would fall into this category. If this is the scenario, no point in saying that we are going to sign Lewis Dunk, for example. 

On one hand you could say what 80 million pound player would come to a club who can't offer them European Football this season but on the other hand I'd point to Tielemans, young, career ahead oh him, chose us, so another in the callibre of Tielemans would be pretty spectacular. On the other hand (it's okay I'm an alien) I still say have a real go at getting Zaha in but that wouldn't leave much to re-enforce at CB. 

Interesting few days ahead, a Marquee signing requires "tense" negotiations!

I can see this Maguire transfer kicking off a domino effect for a busy last 4 or 5 days of transfers in the EPL.

I’d love to see you guys give Soyuncu or Benkovic a chance at CB, after all why sign them in the first place and go out and spend the bulk of the money on a top wide player who could transform your attack.

I wouldn’t be surprised if that scenario came to pass as Rodgers didn’t seem to care much for signing defenders at Celtic or Liverpool lol!

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, fazzyfox said:

On one hand you could say what 80 million pound player would come to a club who can't offer them European Football this season but on the other hand I'd point to Tielemans, young, career ahead oh him, chose us, so another in the callibre of Tielemans would be pretty spectacular. On the other hand (it's okay I'm an alien) I still say have a real go at getting Zaha in but that wouldn't leave much to re-enforce at CB. 

Interesting few days ahead, a Marquee signing requires "tense" negotiations!

Zaha is in the spirit of this thread. If we offered £80m I think that Palace would accept. He's not worth £80m, if truth be told, at the moment but then neither is Harry. I think he would come here, as I doubt that any of the bigger clubs would be in for him.

• Like 2