Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

I imagine because Mason had made mistakes before he perhaps was on warnings or on watch? 

44 minutes ago, TheUltimateWinner said:

Nice to see a bit more accountability. There was none at all when it was under Mike Riley.

This is the main thing for me. 

But the next important thing is not to allow the same mistakes to happen again! 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, funkyrobot said:

It won’t matter soon, VAR offsides will be automated. This is already being trialled at top leagues in Europe. Mason’s mistake will not be possible. 

Assuming the var decides to look at the right incident- the palace offside decision couldn’t happen again but I wonder about the arsenal Brentford one ??  There will be continual offsides picked up by the auto offside as players are often offside but not interfering. if the var doesn’t bother to check (as mason didnt) maybe it could still happen ??

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Grebfromgrebland said:

Sad to say that once the likes of UAE, quatar, Russia etc get more control of the clubs then we'll see more weird behaviour from officials and regulators.

What a bizarre comment. If you knew the first thing about anyone who works within the PGMOL you’d know that their professional integrity means everything to them. Your comment is typical of the lazy shite that gets posted by many online without any thought or actual knowledge of the individuals you are slandering.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Well yeah but we all know what that means don’t we. Let’s not be naive here. 

19 hours ago, jammie82uk said:

We all know that mutual consent means he’s effectively been sacked 

Probably ends up with a more lucrative severance package with mutual rather than sacked.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't rate most of the refs in this league and Mason was pretty bad but we are chasing a goal we will never reach particularly now with VAR. Him going will fix virtually nothing.

I can understand the argument here, but now I'm intrigued.

If the refs aren't good enough and VAR isn't good enough, what exactly is the solution here?

6 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

I don't rate most of the refs in this league and Mason was pretty bad but we are chasing a goal we will never reach particularly now with VAR. Him going will fix virtually nothing.

I can understand the argument here, but now I'm intrigued.

If the refs aren't good enough and VAR isn't good enough, what exactly is the solution here?

18 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

The Arsenal goal for 3-2 has to be offside surely. Or is it a case of trying to even it up for Arsenal? 
Two players offside and clearly obstructing the goal keepers view. 

Can’t say they were obstructing the goal keeper … there was no complaint by him either

It was a good (own) goal.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Well wood’s line isn’t within half a foot of the back defender’s but apparently it’s all about perspective and few of us have it …

Lines are bollocks, with the naked eye, Wood is leaning beyond the last man whereas Barnes was level. 

2 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

Lines are bollocks, with the naked eye, Wood is leaning beyond the last man whereas Barnes was level. 

The lines aren’t bollox though - they are at ninety degrees to the touchline whereas the camera angle may not be 

the question is the var correctly marking the furthest point forward of the attacker and furthest point back of the defender 

in this instance he seemed to do it right. I think if there was any question you would have heard it v loudly yesterday evening 

11 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

The lines aren’t bollox though - they are at ninety degrees to the touchline whereas the camera angle may not be 

the question is the var correctly marking the furthest point forward of the attacker and furthest point back of the defender 

in this instance he seemed to do it right. I think if there was any question you would have heard it v loudly yesterday evening 

My point is that in my view (and many others), using lines altogether is crap and ruining the game. I’m all for having the ability to review things again but all you need is a few seconds on a still to see whether the player is offside. The use of lines is to forensically look to rule out ones where they are basically level. What happened to the game being about goals?

Fyi, I don’t think Wood’s should be offside but was using it as a comparison of the one of Barnes last week. If you’re going to spend 3/4 minutes looking at lines to find a way to rule out either of those, what are we even doing anymore?

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, LCFCJohn said:

My point is that in my view (and many others), using lines altogether is crap and ruining the game. I’m all for having the ability to review things again but all you need is a few seconds on a still to see whether the player is offside. The use of lines is to forensically look to rule out ones where they are basically level. What happened to the game being about goals?

Fyi, I don’t think Wood’s should be offside but was using it as a comparison of the one of Barnes last week. If you’re going to spend 3/4 minutes looking at lines to find a way to rule out either of those, what are we even doing anymore?

the lines will be a thing of the past next season with the auto offside (which will aggravate you even more as it becomes about toe nails and fringes again) 

im surprised that the forest equaliser to that long to give considering how far on side wood actually was - had the effect of increasing the tension to give the home side an even bigger lift when it was confirmed …..

On 18/02/2023 at 13:25, st albans fox said:

Assuming the var decides to look at the right incident- the palace offside decision couldn’t happen again but I wonder about the arsenal Brentford one ??  There will be continual offsides picked up by the auto offside as players are often offside but not interfering. if the var doesn’t bother to check (as mason didnt) maybe it could still happen ??

Automatic VAR can’t not bother to check as it is automated. It’s like an upgraded goal line technology. The human involvement might be to determine whether the player was interfering but as the Brentford guy did interfere (he assisted the goal) the offside would’ve been given.