Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
DJ Barry Hammond

The VAR thread

What are your thoughts on VAR?  

679 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on VAR?

• Love it, all for it, fantastic introduction to football
    • Hate it, games gone
    • Somewhere in between

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 17/05/20 at 19:00

2 minutes ago, FrankieADZ said:

yeah i do but how can one be off and another not, and on the barnes one you could easily point that it could be davies's chest keeping HB onside

but odds and sods

think the challenge on faes was the worse imo

Because one was offside and the other not. Read back through the thread, I’ve clearly pointed out how var works and why Barnes was offside.

24 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

‘Marcel Sabitzer avoided a red card because VAR officials didn’t feel the Manchester Unitedmidfielder’s tackle was made with sufficient force or momentum.‘

Wait, what ? So the intent doesn’t matter now, it’s all about the leg break for the red card. Crazy.

Ive always said this but football is a global sport and refereeing in this country is very limited. Even with Var the refs struggle to make the most basic decisions. There is an intelligence issue and perhaps there needs to be more of criteria than someone who can run up and down a pitch. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Because one was offside and the other not. Read back through the thread, I’ve clearly pointed out how var works and why Barnes was offside.

Barnes wasn't offside. What you going on about. It's pretty clear as long as your eyes work.

5 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

i thought this but you do have the line of the grass to go on and it isn't even in line with that

Looks fine to me. Again perspective will mean the line this side looks further from the line than the far side. It isn’t going to look the same distance from the line all the way across and thus it will look wonky.

7 minutes ago, adam said:

Barnes wasn't offside. What you going on about. It's pretty clear as long as your eyes work.

You clearly a) don’t understand how var works, and b) you don’t understand perspective. 

Don’t embarrass yourself any further.

• Like 2

Just now, Babylon said:

Looks fine to me. Again perspective will mean the line this side looks further from the line than the far side. It isn’t going to look the same distance from the line all the way across and thus it will look wonky.

i saw your vanishing point post after posting this, I understand it more now, i'd still personally like it scrapped for offside, we can't even be sure it was at the point the ball was being passed, I'd be more inclined to trust the lino if he flags

Just now, splinterdream said:

i saw your vanishing point post after posting this, I understand it more now, i'd still personally like it scrapped for offside, we can't even be sure it was at the point the ball was being passed, I'd be more inclined to trust the lino if he flags

That’s one of the bigger issues, the point the ball is kicked. But so long as they use the frame it moves for all then it’s fair.

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

You clearly a) don’t understand how var works, and b) you don’t understand perspective. 

Don’t embarrass yourself any further.

What's perspective got to do with it when the lines are drawn in the wrong position?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

The naked eye test suggested Rashford was off. Was genuinely surprised when they declared it onside.

Should always be the case with the benefit of doubt given to the on-field decision where it's very close.

Those silly lines offer nothing and this wasn't even close imo

6 minutes ago, adam said:

They clearly were

How ? The software is calibrated to be at ninety degrees to the touch lines - the grass line  on the pitch is a) not guaranteed to be at ninety degrees and b) will have a perspective difference as you look towards the far touchline on the image when compared to the overlaid lines 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Wait, what ? So the intent doesn’t matter now, it’s all about the leg break for the red card. Crazy.

Ive always said this but football is a global sport and refereeing in this country is very limited. Even with Var the refs struggle to make the most basic decisions. There is an intelligence issue and perhaps there needs to be more of criteria than someone who can run up and down a pitch. 

The ref did not even give a yellow and VAR bloke compounded error by not alerting that it should be a red