Jump to content

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, matty98 said:

Doesn't make me angry at all. You're the one that's so bothered by it you felt the need to reply to me in the first place. lol Just find it weird that fans won't accept the obvious and have to make up some conspiracy theory with no actual evidence because they can't accept we overpaid for a player.

 

So you're saying John Percy, a well respected journalist is lying in his article along with the rest of the media because Newcastle asked them to? And you have no evidence to back that up? Just a 'theory' of why Percy originally suggested the fee would be £16 million. Surely you realise how ridiculous that sounds?

It's how it works. They'll be add ons included in 30m figured. Plenty of people on here who I trust have explained why.

Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

It's how it works. They'll be add ons included in 30m figured. Plenty of people on here who I trust have explained why.

But if he had a release clause of £16m why would there be add-ons? You meet the release clause and that's it, you don't pay £14m in add-ons in excess. FWIW, the fee was probably £16m up front and another 14m or so in add-ons, no release clause or some such.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

When we play this formation I think, in some ways, it suits Perez more than Maddison.  Perez naturally plays the quick ball which fits in well with the quick interplay with Iheanacho and Vardy, whereas Maddison has sometimes been criticised on here for taking the extra touch and slowing things down.

 

Not that I'm suggesting he should be chosen over Madders when he gets back to fitness - there are more things that Maddison brings to the party.   Just pointing out that though they could be competing for the number 10 role their styles are quite different.

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, shen said:

But if he had a release clause of £16m why would there be add-ons? You meet the release clause and that's it, you don't pay £14m in add-ons in excess. FWIW, the fee was probably £16m up front and another 14m or so in add-ons, no release clause or some such.

Few other clubs were involved I believe. A bit like when kante left, his release clause was something like 22m but we managed to get slightly more for him due to others being involved.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Motd showed a graphic yesterday highlighting how good our recruitment has been with a list of all our recent signings with their fee next to them, anything that wasn't an initial fee had an asterisk next to it.

 

Perez had the figure of £30m next to his name (no asterisk).  Every reputable source says that is was £30m.

 

Brendan Rodgers at the time said we were in the market for a £30-£50m wide player.  He later confirmed that Perez was that player.

 

I'm pretty sure he cost £30m,  

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe just maybe the £30m release clause was negotiated as £16m and then £14m in potential add ons which Newcastle were happy with. Either way he was our worst player yesterday but that doesn't mean he was poor, its just everyone else was unreal.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Maybe just maybe the £30m release clause was negotiated as £16m and then £14m in potential add ons which Newcastle were happy with. Either way he was our worst player yesterday but that doesn't mean he was poor, its just everyone else was unreal.

In terms of performance Ric that's like saying it was the worst course of an 11 course meal served by the finest restaurant in the world 🤣

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

In terms of performance Ric that's like saying it was the worst course of an 11 course meal served by the finest restaurant in the world 🤣

Hahahaaa 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Shame we signed a number 10 then 🤣

Well, yeah.  He looks better in that role, but he played wide right for the majority of his Newcastle career. 

 

It is simply one transfer that we got wrong.  A player that is ineffective in the position we signed him for and was poor value for money. 

Edited by murphy
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Out Foxed said:

you weren't watching him very well then. his hold up play and close control in possession was very good. 

Played in his natural position he is worth the money paid for him. He is not a winger. But is he better than Maddison? But it is great to know we can play Perez in the AM role and know we have a class player to cover for James. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deep blue said:

When we play this formation I think, in some ways, it suits Perez more than Maddison.  Perez naturally plays the quick ball which fits in well with the quick interplay with Iheanacho and Vardy, whereas Maddison has sometimes been criticised on here for taking the extra touch and slowing things down.

 

Not that I'm suggesting he should be chosen over Madders when he gets back to fitness - there are more things that Maddison brings to the party.   Just pointing out that though they could be competing for the number 10 role their styles are quite different.

Perez plays the role the more like Shinji Okazaki than Maddison. But even better. Different type of option. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Is he worth £30 million? He's not worth it for what we wanted him to be but he DOES bring something to the team. 

If his run from March - May (which he'll surely get) helps us achieve 4th and a cup final, then he's certainly paid himself off but I'd feel more comfortable selling him and getting a proper wide player

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Chocolate Teapot said:

Few other clubs were involved I believe. A bit like when kante left, his release clause was something like 22m but we managed to get slightly more for him due to others being involved.

Kanté had a release clause of £30m, but only for clubs who had qualified for European competition. Chelsea bid £35m as they hadn't qualified and perhaps because CL clubs were sniffing about, the club accepted and we probably got £5m more than a likely deal to a CL club.


It's not the same with Perez, unless he had the same kind of clause (i.e. only to EL/CL clubs)

Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, shen said:

Kanté had a release clause of £30m, but only for clubs who had qualified for European competition. Chelsea bid £35m as they hadn't qualified and perhaps because CL clubs were sniffing about, the club accepted and we probably got £5m more than a likely deal to a CL club.


It's not the same with Perez, unless he had the same kind of clause (i.e. only to EL/CL clubs)

He turned down Valencia who were in the champions league that year. As ever, 'the project' (money) swung it for us.

Edited by Chocolate Teapot
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/03/2021 at 10:35, snoopy87 said:

Didn't think he had a bad game yesterday to be honest. Some nice play at times, got at them in the high press, just lacked a goal

Unfortunatly Leicester fans seem to polarise players, some are seemingly above critisim, while others can't do anything wrong, I know this happens to some extent with other clubs but at Leicester its toxic at times. The amounts of abuse from our own fans that Perez and Iheanacho have had is appalling. I've heard boo's when Iheanacho was comming on as sub, can you imagine what that must do to a young player in his own stadium. The only downside to Iheanacho's recent form is that he didn't have thousands of Leicester fans cheering him on, he's deserved that at least. Imagine what a confidence player with his talent could do with a full stadium roaring him on instead of on his back waiting for the first mistake.

I know we're all entitled to voice our opinions but lets leave the negative reactions to the pub autopsy, not in the ground where players can hear it.

The lockdowns have made me realise even more how lucky I am to watch Leicester City and when we're back I'm going to make the most of it.

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites

Great defensive work by Perez today. Really impressed how many times he had tracked back to help out the defence. Look decent going forward also, I personally am a fan of his dribbling skills.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/03/2021 at 12:50, messerschmitt said:

Unfortunatly Leicester fans seem to polarise players, some are seemingly above critisim, while others can't do anything wrong, I know this happens to some extent with other clubs but at Leicester its toxic at times. The amounts of abuse from our own fans that Perez and Iheanacho have had is appalling. I've heard boo's when Iheanacho was comming on as sub, can you imagine what that must do to a young player in his own stadium. The only downside to Iheanacho's recent form is that he didn't have thousands of Leicester fans cheering him on, he's deserved that at least. Imagine what a confidence player with his talent could do with a full stadium roaring him on instead of on his back waiting for the first mistake.

I know we're all entitled to voice our opinions but lets leave the negative reactions to the pub autopsy, not in the ground where players can hear it.

The lockdowns have made me realise even more how lucky I am to watch Leicester City and when we're back I'm going to make the most of it.

What you’ve just explained is true of FT, in a nutshell.

It’s full of hypocrisy. The likes of Nacho and Ayoze have received dogs abuse on here. Now that Nacho has had a good run of games, suddenly he’s brilliant. Finally the usual suspects are starting to see Perez importance to the team, but that’s after many months of rabid criticism. 
And you’re right that other players can’t do any wrong. Amartey is possibly the worst player we’ve had at the club in a long time, but the FT faithful seem to adore him

I’ve never gotten it, never will. I just take it for what it is these days.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

And you’re right that other players can’t do any wrong. Amartey is possibly the worst player we’ve had at the club in a long time, but the FT faithful seem to adore him

I’ve never gotten it, never will. I just take it for what it is these days.

That's not really true, is it?

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Of course it is.

So Daniel Amartey, who most on here believe should be a back-up, gets no criticism whatsoever?

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corky said:

So Daniel Amartey, who most on here believe should be a back-up, gets no criticism whatsoever?

Who said he didn’t get any criticism? But compared to the likes of Perez and Iheanacho for instance, very little. They are/were both back up players too

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...