Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
That_Dude

Ayoze Pérez

They're all squad players as they come in and out of form or fitness. I have been a huge critic of Perez but after his last game, I have some real hopes for the guy.

Let's hope he builds on that.

On 15/03/2021 at 12:19, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I think that's the best position for him and gives him the best chance to shine. His technical ability can thrive there. And his absence of pace and strength isn't so exposed. But as others have said. He needs to back that up a few more times, before I'll be convinced we weren't fleeced by NUFC. 

he is much better centrally, when he can turn either way. On the flanks defenders just show him the outside knowing he will struggle to exploit it.

On 15/03/2021 at 14:27, funkyrobot said:

For me he is our 1 true alternative option to Maddison, working best between the lines. Although they have a slightly different skill set they should be effectively in competition with each other to play the role behind the striker or strikers. That’s his best role in the team IMO and it’s when he’s asked to do something that he’s not built for that he gets stick from fans. He has bags of quality, is a great finisher and he tackles back but he’s not got the pace to play wide or the strength to be a main striker. It’s great that we have two people that can play the role as well as Praet who can also do a job there amongst other positions in midfield. 

I agree. I think Ayoze is most important as cover for Madders, and it works well (at least partly) because they are similar, in that neither have strength or pace, and they are both good on the turn as long as they can avoid getting flattened. That means we don't need to change much when we swap them out.

Madders has a wider range of skills but Perez is generally better at pressing and stealing the ball (as we saw against sorry Sheffield). Having said that BR did criticise Ayoze earlier in the season for not working as hard as Brendan saw fit, and he is probably right that without the high workrate AP is not the same player.

I guess if we had paid £10 million quid less people would be more understanding.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Every club needs decent squad players and Perez is one.

Mendy is another one. And Amartey. Fuchs has been too, the past couple of years. Morgan also.

You don't want them starting often but the kind of players we need now and again across a long, tough season.

We're not the kind of club to be able to have two elite players for every position.

PS People say about Marc Albrighton: "We need an upgrade on him to take us to the next level." when he's a more than decent squad player who never lets us down.

the reason people say that about Albrighton is because he still ends up starting too many games for a squad player

On 16/03/2021 at 13:25, winteriscoming said:

The problem with Perez is he plays well in maybe 2/3 games a season. As was the case last season. Same this season. You really should be expecting more from a player that cost 30m. He’s not quick, is lightweight and at times his distribution is poor. As I stated he played well against Sheffield Utd but I’m afraid that’s his level. In the next 10 games if he performs like Sunday then I stand corrected. Unfortunately I can’t see it happening. 

But it was our club that paid £30mil..

So then should question  the club's investment policies..and not put the players under the false expectations..

Plus I agree at the moment he seems to be somewhat lightweight...but I actually don't think he deserves the routine heavy criticism he gets from this forum.. I reckon he's more than adequate and not so poor as some make out..

1 hour ago, fuchsntf said:

But it was our club that paid £30mil..

So then should question  the club's investment policies..and not put the players under the false expectations..

Plus I agree at the moment he seems to be somewhat lightweight...but I actually don't think he deserves the routine heavy criticism he gets from this forum.. I reckon he's more than adequate and not so poor as some make out..

Yes I would question the club paying that much for him. However I would say again for a player whose played regularly in the PL for the last 3/4 seasons he’s not produced. I think in the PL and with where we are atm being more than adequate isn’t good enough. 

There is a decent player in Aoyze, it just rears it’s head too infrequently. That must have more to do with mindset than anything else. 

If he can do it on a couple of occasions then he can do it. Whatever hampers him is the job of the staff to figure out and iron out. 

Edited by ARM1968
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Spiritwalker said:

I like Perez and think that he’s been overly criticised on here, but it’s worth remembering that his last

performance was against woeful opposition.

Hmm, I think you're the first one to make that point :dunno:

In all seriousness though, we've played several woeful teams this season and this was our most convincing performance against such a team. So yes, they were poor, but Perez & Co. took advantage of that with a pretty ruthless and dominant display.

10 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Every club needs decent squad players and Perez is one.

Mendy is another one. And Amartey. Fuchs has been too, the past couple of years. Morgan also.

You don't want them starting often but the kind of players we need now and again across a long, tough season.

We're not the kind of club to be able to have two elite players for every position.

PS People say about Marc Albrighton: "We need an upgrade on him to take us to the next level." when he's a more than decent squad player who never lets us down.

I agree with your comments however both Perez and Albrighton haven’t been used as squad players. They have started a lot of games. We do need upgrades on both to take us to the next level. 

5 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

Yes I would question the club paying that much for him. However I would say again for a player whose played regularly in the PL for the last 3/4 seasons he’s not produced. I think in the PL and with where we are atm being more than adequate isn’t good enough. 

One sometimes needs to see, what a manager or Coaching Team together actually believe individual players bring to Team & squad...

They are it often different to the various fans "cliques" perspective...

We see over years average/ good /Top Teams eras, where they Select players, where fans have a question-mark hovering over certain players continual inclusion..

Some players remain a Mystery to the fans, others actually become either a Cult hero, and/or Stamp their career Leaving Great memories behind, on certain various Teams fans..

Sometimes playing the hardened pundit-fan, one misses often see/ find the Interfaces & Connections

such "fan-chosen-scapegoat" Brings to those 2-3 managers that by selection alone Swear by them...

It could be for dozens of various reasons...No choice, Need of the moment, Short excellent form & performances, man for the job at any given time or just Holds an Area , line /tactics the manager(s) desires...

Football is very simple, but Never straight foreward....

By the way..Good banter & this time not just throw-away-remarks...:cheers:

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, Gav_LCFC14 said:

Nice little interview with Ayoze, he clearly loves being at the club and seems like a top bloke.

I haven't watched it and I'll take your word for it but I'm a little surprised.  Just before he got injured he looked a very unhappy player to me with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, murphy said:

I haven't watched it and I'll take your word for it but I'm a little surprised.  Just before he got injured he looked a very unhappy player to me with the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Well, that proves something, doesn't it?

• Like 2

On 18/03/2021 at 12:07, frany104 said:

I agree with your comments however both Perez and Albrighton haven’t been used as squad players. They have started a lot of games. We do need upgrades on both to take us to the next level. 

I would have to agree with that analysis though I do think Albrighton is still very relevant for certain matches and there's a reason why a succession of managers continue to pick him. I suppose the problem with Perez and it's really not his fault, is the price tag that came with him. People understandably expect more than a squad player for that amount of money. There have also been feelings at times that his many appearances have been made more because of the attempt to justify that price tag with a patience for him to come good, rather than his abilities and performances that has been the yardstick for other players in the squad.

Edited by volpeazzurro

15 minutes ago, murphy said:

What?

He was struggling and he knew it, I thought.

It proves that our perception (yours, mine, anyone's) is not necessarily reliable - we only get to see everything in 2D. As I've just discovered from my teaching going from screen to in-person, the camera often lies, or disguises things. We (all of us) perhaps read into things more confidently than we really ought to. 

For the record, this was not intended to be a personal dig at you in any way Murphy - you just happened to make the comment.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

It proves that our perception (yours, mine, anyone's) is not necessarily reliable - we only get to see everything in 2D. As I've just discovered from my teaching going from screen to in-person, the camera often lies, or disguises things. We (all of us) perhaps read into things more confidently than we really ought to. 

For the record, this was not intended to be a personal dig at you in any way Murphy - you just happened to make the comment.

No, I don't take it as a dig at all.  If my reply seemed terse, it wasn't meant to be, I just wasn't sure what you meant.

Anyway, I take your point, but perhaps sometimes the reverse is true when your body language belies your words or outward projection?  Speaking more broadly now. 

In Perez' case I thought I saw a noticeable discomfort in his body language, to the point that I resolved to stop visiting this thread and try to be kinder, something at which I failed repeatedly, but as you say, perception is not reliable and I'd be happy to be corrected. 

• Like 2