Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
treer

Rodgers, the wrong way round

25 minutes ago, weller54 said:

I was more amazed (and dismayed) to see Gray in the starting line up! 

Gray’s  highly rated by plenty in the game though isn’t he so he was always going to get a go, I know the tide of blue Is turning against but that’s the way it is,  he’s found it hard under Rodgers and rightly so given some of his performances last season,  and for whatever (timing is baffling)  reason he’s got his inevitable chance today and totally failed to take it yet again.

Promise and potential have to deliver something at some point and it’s long over due with Gray

Edited by Manwell Pablo
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I thought we signed Praet to give us a deeper lying player who can put a foot in and still distribute the ball well. Would have liked him in instead of Hamza.

We don’t get the ball from back to front quick enough and that’s a lot of the time from Ndidi and Hamza taking too long on the ball or playing the safe option. There 6’s, neither should play as an 8 like Hamza has a lot this season, unless we are really under the kosh. 

Ill be surprised if Praet is seriously considered regularly  this year, possibly even this season. We will try and bed him in before chucking him in expecting immediate results  ( remember we were away today, to Manchester United)

I think playing Hamza and wilfried wasnt what cost us. Playing away from home at a place like old Trafford, I dont care how good you are, you keep it tight for the first 20 minutes. Man city played fernandinho and gundogan last season from memory and nullified the crowd for the first 20 minutes. 

The goal was an individual mistake. That's it. There was no need to make a tackle like that when rashford was going nowhere. Apart from that United hardly threatened.

Our attacking play was just not cohesive enough. Vardy isolated, tielemens too slow, maddison ineffective, Gray over doing it, Chilwell and Pereira not really offering much.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Ill be surprised if Praet is seriously considered regularly  this year, possibly even this season. We will try and bed him in before chucking him in expecting immediate results  ( remember we were away today, to Manchester United)

The MIGHTY Manchester United? 

The MIGHTY Manchester United that lost at home to Crystal Palace a couple of weeks ago? 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, weller54 said:

The MIGHTY Manchester United that lost at home to Crystal Palace a couple of weeks ago? 

What a dreadful post.

As I’m sure last seasons Premier League champions will tell you losing a one off game at home to Crystal Palace isn’t indicative of you being a poor team.

i hope not anyway as they hammered us as well.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, weller54 said:

This shows a complete lack of any football knowledge. 

Are Manchester United the all conquering team they were in the past? No not even close, are they still a top 8 Premier League team? Absolutely, they don’t have the world class players of the past but they do have top players in each position and Old Trafford remains a tough away game.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Blanchflower78 said:

Big shout to Farke and Norwich.  Played the best team in England with a ravaged side and took the game to them. Fabulous, we went to an injury ravaged United and set up to try and not lose with a full strength side. 

That’s the difference between a side deciding they have nothing to lose and one which doesn’t want to concede any points to a side who they feel will be in and around them come May .....

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

What a dreadful post.

As I’m sure last seasons Premier League champions will tell you losing a one off game at home to Crystal Palace isn’t indicative of you being a poor team.

i hope not anyway as they hammered us as well.

We had a real chance today of winning against a very weak Manchester United side.. We set up too defensively and started Gray instead of Albrighton or Barnes!!.. 

Poor from Rodgers imo. 

It'll be a long time before we ever face a weaker United side than we did today! 

• Like 4

Playing Ndidi and Choudhury together against the likes of United, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs seems to be a given. It's a pretty negative approach but against those teams it's unsurprising to see us play both.

The problem is the balance alongside them and in front of them, playing Tielemans alongside them weakens his game, playing  Maddison in front of them as a winger weakens his game. When we play this formation it doesn't suit certain players, the balance in the forward areas is all wrong, yet Rodgers is too stubborn to take either Tielemans or Maddison out of the team.

You know what to expect from us when we see that 4-3-3 team sheet, our build up play will be slow and width in our play will be non existent. This formation not only holds back Tielemans and Maddison, it holds back our full backs too. Chilwell has been getting negative reviews lately but to some extent I feel sorry for him, almost every time he gets the ball there's nobody in front of him to pass to, the only option is to play it sideways.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same set up next week against Spurs, another negative frustrating performance could well be on the horizon.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, kingfox said:

Playing Ndidi and Choudhury together against the likes of United, Man City, Liverpool, Arsenal, Chelsea and Spurs seems to be a given. It's a pretty negative approach but against those teams it's unsurprising to see us play both.

The problem is the balance alongside them and in front of them, playing Tielemans alongside them weakens his game, playing  Maddison in front of them as a winger weakens his game. When we play this formation it doesn't suit certain players, the balance in the forward areas is all wrong, yet Rodgers is too stubborn to take either Tielemans or Maddison out of the team.

You know what to expect from us when we see that 4-3-3 team sheet, our build up play will be slow and width in our play will be non existent. This formation not only holds back Tielemans and Maddison, it holds back our full backs too. Chilwell has been getting negative reviews lately but to some extent I feel sorry for him, almost every time he gets the ball there's nobody in front of him to pass to, the only option is to play it sideways.

I wouldn't be surprised if we see the same set up next week against Spurs, another negative frustrating performance could well be on the horizon.

Be gutted if we do. I think Choudary has a big career ahead of him, but having him alongside N'didi, causes us all kinds of issues just like you said. Neither have the creative ability on the ball and we lose some much needed width and even push Maddison out of position. All for what? To get some extra defensive cover or to press the game more. We can do that with Praet or dropping Tielemans deeper. We have so much of the ball no matter who we play, and so we need players who are capable on it. Keep N'didi doing what he does best and Choudary will get his chances too, but we must either start Praet or drop Tielemans deeper. Bring in Barnes on the left to give us the width and get Maddison back behind Vardy. If we see the same line-up and formation against Spurs as we did today, I will be very concerned by Rodger's stubbornness! 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

This shows a complete lack of any football knowledge. 

Are Manchester United the all conquering team they were in the past? No not even close, are they still a top 8 Premier League team? Absolutely, they don’t have the world class players of the past but they do have top players in each position and Old Trafford remains a tough away game.

They were terrible today.  They'll be lucky to finish top half.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Be gutted if we do. I think Choudary has a big career ahead of him, but having him alongside N'didi, causes us all kinds of issues just like you said. Neither have the creative ability on the ball and we lose some much needed width and even push Maddison out of position. All for what? To get some extra defensive cover or to press the game more. We can do that with Praet or dropping Tielemans deeper. We have so much of the ball no matter who we play, and so we need players who are capable on it. Keep N'didi doing what he does best and Choudary will get his chances too, but we must either start Praet or drop Tielemans deeper. Bring in Barnes on the left to give us the width and get Maddison back behind Vardy. If we see the same line-up and formation against Spurs as we did today, I will be very concerned by Rodger's stubbornness! 

I can understand why Rodgers plays both though against the big teams, on record Choudhury seems to be more effective when playing against the big six, just look at his performances against Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal last season for example.

It's a very cautious approach but it's a very unsurprising approach, against the big six you can easily get overrun in midfield, against Spurs next week that could so easily be the case if we go with a midfield two.

What needs to be addressed though is the problem in front of them, Tielemans or Maddison have to be taken out of the team for obvious tactical reasons. Rodgers is too stubborn to do that though because he obviously sees them as key players.

Playing Ndidi and Choudhury together isn't necessarily the main problem, the main problem is the balance in our forward areas, if we don't rectify it then we'll continue to play in a negative frustrating manner.

19 minutes ago, kingfox said:

I can understand why Rodgers plays both though against the big teams, on record Choudhury seems to be more effective when playing against the big six, just look at his performances against Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal last season for example.

It's a very cautious approach but it's a very unsurprising approach, against the big six you can easily get overrun in midfield, against Spurs next week that could so easily be the case if we go with a midfield two.

What needs to be addressed though is the problem in front of them, Tielemans or Maddison have to be taken out of the team for obvious tactical reasons. Rodgers is too stubborn to do that though because he obviously sees them as key players.

Playing Ndidi and Choudhury together isn't necessarily the main problem, the main problem is the balance in our forward areas, if we don't rectify it then we'll continue to play in a negative frustrating manner.

Disagree with this, as most our attacks start from deep, i.e Kasper or one of the back four have the ball and then pass to the midfield, usually the one who is closest/deepest, N'didi or Choudhury in our case today. Neither are capable of much more than a short, sideways or backwards pass. The build up play then grinds to a hault and we allow the opposition to get set and we lose all our attacking edge in a matter of seconds.

If we have Praet or Tielemans dropping deeper and picking up that ball, then I think that completely changes our initiative and pace with the ball. We instantly have a player who is not only capable of running with the ball under control at pace and with agility, we also have a player capable of threading a forward/attacking pass. This can make such a huge difference to the tempo and direction of the game, especially if we turnover possession and have an opportunity of a quick break, something Vardy absolutely thrives on.

Too often, we see these opportunities wasted because N'didi or Choudhury are more often than not, not looking or capable of such a run or pass. Have a Tielemans or Praet on the ball, and things happen a lot quicker and with more attacking intent. I still think we are capable of having Maddison and Tielemans playing alongside each other, and actually I think they are essential in someways, but we either have to bring Praet in alongside N'didi to be that deeper playmaker that gets things moving snappier and with more attacking intent OR Tielemans has to be tasked with dropping deeper and picking that ball up. 

• Like 2