Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Finnegan

Cologne / NRW

Germany must be one of the most visited countries by members of this forum, in particular NRW, given the obvious football tourism attractions in the state. I'm hoping a few of you have been to Cologne. 

My OH and I tend to go away in December for a city break, usually somewhere with a tidy Christmas Market and an Old Town quarter for a bit of festive charm. She really wants to see Cologne Cathedral which we'll do but given the easy rail links, we could do that either from staying in Cologne or from basing somewhere else (Dusseldorf etc) and visiting for an afternoon. 

So, anyone got experience with Cologne? Thoughts? How did you find it? Plenty to do and see? If not, where else is better in the region? 

And just to caveat - my missus hates football so Die Gelbe Wand and the Ruhrstadion are out lads, sorry. 

Cologne is by far the most attractive place to stay in that part of Germany. The Dom is impressive & the Rhine is nicer than further north. The local beer is Kolsh which isn't as strong as most German beers.

For serious drinking, a visit to Dusseldorf old town aka the longest bar in the world) is a great experience. rink Alt beer, a local dark lager, but moderate it or you wont remember much about your trip.

I've been to Cologne and Dusseldorf, and personally prefer the latter (although the cathedral in Cologne is a must visit and I don't know about its Christmas Market). The Christmas Market in Dusseldorf is spread across several sites in the town, and you've also got the five big historic Altbier brewhouses between the station and Old Town (I liked Schumacher's, near the station end, the best).

Did a very similar trip to what you described with my missus last year, though we stayed in Bochum and visited mates there too (don't think she was that keen on the freezing cold Monday night game against St Pauli mind).

Bochum guys I know rate Essen's Christmas Market (though, like most cities in that part of NRW it's a pretty industrial place apart from that), and Bochum's is actually good for a city of its size. If you like industrial history, the German mining museum is in Bochum too.

Also might be worth having a day in Aachen if you're Cologne/Dusseldorf-based and fancy something different. Only been there once for football but the city centre was quite historic with a nice cathedral, from what I remember (which is not much as I was half-cut all day).

Edited by Voll Blau

Cologne is a great city. Folk seemed a lot more easy going than in Dusseldorf from recent experience.

Mrs and I did the Christmas markets last year. They are great, very traditional and not very touristy surprisingly. We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express which was well priced and located within walking distance to the centre and on a underground route to the Cathedral.

Edited by SemperEadem

Went to Cologne last year.  Really enjoyed it. The area round the cathedral and river is really nice. It was mega busy when I was there as Cologne were playing Bayeen Mumich.

It's not far from Bonn either,  which has the haribo factory. 

Edited by isaidno

I went to Cologne in February with my girlfriend and really enjoyed it. The Cathedral is definitely worth a visit. 

Also definitely go to the 'Lommi' or Lommerzheim if you like meat and a drink. Brilliant atmosphere, there's a queue outside each day when it opens so get down early to avoid missing out - https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Review-g187371-d966510-Reviews-Lommerzheim-Cologne_North_Rhine_Westphalia.html. Can't recommend it enough.

Cologne vs. Düsseldorf is a choice between slightly rough vs. slightly more polished.

I think I heard somewhere that you won't find a city in Germany with more restaurants than Cologne (although Düsseldorfers are proud of their "longest bar stretch of the world" in the old town), Düsseldorf is a bit more artsy and glitzy and features prettier neighborhoods and more shopping options. Whereas Cologne has the Cathedral, though.

I've been to both cities and I'd take Düsseldorf over Cologne, but that's just me.

Edited by MC Prussian

10 hours ago, TJB-fox said:

Actually off to Cologne on Wednesday for four days as a bit of a ‘lads trip away’ any recommendations or suggestions much appreciated.

Stiefel is a really great dive football bar. In the student area so well priced beer, the walls are covered in ultras stickers and graffiti so has a really cool vibe.

Absolutely banging kebab/falafel house on the same street, believe it was voted the best in Germany.

10 hours ago, bmt said:

For a lads trip definitely check out the pub I said above. Have fun 

46 minutes ago, SemperEadem said:

Stiefel is a really great dive football bar. In the student area so well priced beer, the walls are covered in ultras stickers and graffiti so has a really cool vibe.

Absolutely banging kebab/falafel house on the same street, believe it was voted the best in Germany.

Thanks chaps! 

1 minute ago, Ross-Kemp said:

Off to Berlin in March. Any hints / tips?

Bars - Clash, Junction Cafe, Hofbrau beer hall. The Kreuzberg district in general is just fantastic for boozing and culture. Street beers is a big thing and bottles can be pickup at corner shop type places really cheaply.

Recommend going and seeing the East Side Gallery, SS Museum, Check Point Charlie and the Jewish Museum. Dicke Wirtin is a very traditional restaurant and ale house which is wort seeking out. Berlin currywurst is shit don't let them make you believe otherwise. 

Will you be trying to see any football out there?

My favourite city in Europe it is absolutely fantastic.

Düsseldorf Altstadt was great in the summer and I could imagine it being even betting around Christmas if there's a market around there. Doesn't really matter too much where you're based in the region as the train links are so good you can get everywhere very easily. Shame the football is a no go as there are some great places in really easy reach. 

Oh, and don't go to Wuppertal. 

2 hours ago, Ross-Kemp said:

Cheers. 

With the missus. We’re going in March, haven’t really looked at football to be fair.

In that case...

Monkey Bar at 25 Hours Hotel is nice for a rooftop drink overlooking the zoo, with great views over the city. Alt Berliner Biersalon a five minute walk away is also good for people-watching with a beer.

Brauhaus Georgbraeu for lunch by the river with excellent home-brewed lager. DDR Museum along the river from it also worth a visit but can be crowded.

Hot chocolate upstairs at the Rausch chocolate shop.

Scheers Schnitzel for a properly good schnitzel in a locals place by the East Side Gallery.

A Sandemans free walking tour to see the centre properly.

My wife and I go to foreign Christmas markets every year and have done  for the last 20 odd years.

Cologne is one of the best in terms of the markets (I think there were 8 in total spread around the centre) and it's not a bad city for everything else. Transportation is easy and cheap to use, airport transfers are cheap and there's lots to choose from when eating out/drinking. The cathedral is very Gothic but beautiful, although we were lucky to have bright blue skies and snow on the ground... Very festive.