Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

7 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

I fear just people seeing the queues of young people in (usually already safe Labour) London constituencies and betting on a hung parliament. I don't think there's been much to make opponents of the Tories feel much more comfortable about Labour's FPTP chances across England and Wales more generally.

Hope you're right though.

It's not just the betting markets, look at the pound - this will surely be the consequences of internal polling from the hedge fund companies etc

IMG_20191212_184850.jpg

Edited by MattP

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

It will be incredible to watch - I imagine Corbyn deep down is shitting himself at the thought of it.

Creates a manifesto and Brexit position to make sure he can't end up in government but gets there anyway on the back of a party who wants to break up the UK.

He might even leg it and hand over to McDonnell.

Do you think Boris will go if he doesn't get a Majority?

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

Some pretty serious money coming in for a hung parliament on Betfair - pound dropped as well in the last hour.

I think we could be heading for that. Imagine the same situation after all this shit.

It will defo  be a hung parliament 

Edited by lestajigs

2 minutes ago, EnderbyFox said:

Do you think Boris will go if he doesn't get a Majority?

Not if he can still govern, wouldn't be any point. He hasn't got any "rebels" now so he should be able to pass a QS. His problem is Brexit if he needs the DUP again.

Just now, MattP said:

Not if he can still govern, wouldn't be any point. He hasn't got any "rebels" now so he should be able to pass a QS. His problem is Brexit if he needs the DUP again.

I honestly didn't think the DUP would want to work with him again, but obviously they want deal changes in order to jump into bed with the Cons. If the Cons don't get a majority it will be by a couple of seats so they'll need the DUP.

17 minutes ago, MattP said:

It's not just the betting markets, look at the pound - this will surely be the consequences of internal polling from the hedge fund companies etc

IMG_20191212_184850.jpg

Remain was still trading at 1/9 on not far off the close of poll for the referendum though so surely a hefty pinch of salt still needed?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

If the DUP wanted rid of the "border in the Irish Sea", that would presumably mean renegotiation with the EU.....and I can't imagine the EU being keen on that.

If Johnson did end up just slightly short of a majority, I wonder if he might try to peel off a few Labour MPs from Leave seats?

Maybe by committing to protection of employment rights in the Future Relationship agreement and a parliamentary vote on whether to request an extension to the transition period in June?

Ironically, offering something like that might have worked before he called the election, when his deal passed by 30 votes on its first reading.

Labour MPs from Leave seats might have less reason to compromise now, with the potential prospect of a Labour-led govt if Boris couldn't form one....unless they thought another early election was inevitable?

Though quite a few of the Labour Leave MPs look set to lose their seats if the YouGov poll is remotely accurate....

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Are Brexit Party likely to win any seats?

Unlikely.

I read that they were polling about 30% in the two Barnsley seats - that's the highest, I've heard of. Even so, that wouldn't be enough to win them the seats.

1 minute ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'll only be pulling an all-nighter if it's either exceptionally close or very good news (from my perspective).

Mind you, at my age I'm quite likely to fall asleep in the chair at 1am......then wake up at 6am wondering why Jo Swinson is walking up Downing Street surrounded by cheering crowds with her wabs out! :D

Sounds like one of my dreams

2 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I'll only be pulling an all-nighter if it's either exceptionally close or very good news (from my perspective).

Mind you, at my age I'm quite likely to fall asleep in the chair at 1am......then wake up at 6am wondering why Jo Swinson is walking up Downing Street surrounded by cheering crowds! :D

Could be worse.

If your good news is waking up to Corbyn in number 10. It will be bad news for the many millions who end up on the dole in the coming months.

Is the poverty of millions worth it just to see the Tories out?

Again if people think Brexit is bad we ain't seen nothing yet. 

If the British public return a Corbyn government they really have excelled themselves.

Still I'm looking forward to receiving my wealth redistribution package from Stormzy, Lilly Allen, Gary Neville and Redknapp. I shouldnt have to work again.

Imagine the excitement and anticipation levels now reaching fever pitch in the @Alf Bentley and @MattP households as they prepare to pull an election special all nighter..

I will be doing so lol Weirdly though, it's been completely different today and I still can't work out why. I'm so sad on days like this, I love the buzz and the excitement and I skip down to the polling station, today it was as sombre as I've ever been and I felt like I wasn't voting for the joy of democracy but for a sense of public dutiness.

I think our country is going to seriously change from tomorrow and I can't tell you whether it will be for better or worse, how or why and those with the insistence that they are choosing the correct path today are surely completely blinded by loyalty, we have two massive gambles in front of us that could have far reaching consequences and we hae to go for one.

This must have been how 1979 felt.

Labour MPs from Leave seats might have less reason to compromise now, with the potential prospect of a Labour-led govt if Boris couldn't form one....unless they thought another early election was inevitable?

Though quite a few of the Labour Leave MPs look set to lose their seats if the YouGov poll is remotely accurate....

This is a great point and if we are into hung parliament predicted territory or someone like me a "pro-Brexit" parliament of 10 might even be better than a Tory majority of 2. Although I suppose Labour leavers will be being taken on by Brexiteers anyway - seats like Kensington, Canterbury, Brecon and Esher are absolutely crucial.