Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Guest MattP

FT General Election Poll 2019

FT General Election 2019  

501 members have voted

1. 1. Which party will be getting your vote?

• Conservative
    • Labour
    • Liberal Democrats
    • Brexit Party
    • Green Party
    • Other

1 hour ago, iniesta said:

If labour do win, surely we have another election in the new year. The thick anti-semites surely did not know what they were voting for. 

They know exactly what they are voting for. Stopping Brexit and the Tories is more important to then - I was the same when I voted UKIP, ignored the obvious racism from many for the bigger cause. This is with the Labour party forever now - it doesn't depart with Corbyn.

The Guardian editorial yesterday summed it up when it said despite the antisemitism it's still the vote to make, effectively saying the Labour party is indispensable, but the Jewish community isn't. I'm not even pissed off at the Corbynistas anymore, it's the moderates like Kendall, Streeting and Phillips who have allowed this with inaction - they are the problem and they've all convinced themselves they are the solution.

They've even sent activists to Finchley today, a seat they are third in with no chance - to try and take votes away from Luciana Berger, they would rather the Tories won it than her.

Edited by MattP

Can anyone tell me anything about Keir Starmer's political views? I know he was named by his parents after the founder of the Labour party and had/has a successful legal career but what kind of political leader would he be? My reservations are that he seems like the sort of straight laced establishment figure that doesn't rock any boats and gets a lot of support before a leadership campaign begins but doesn't actually stand for anything.

12 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

Can anyone tell me anything about Keir Starmer's political views? I know he was named by his parents after the founder of the Labour party and had/has a successful legal career but what kind of political leader would he be? My reservations are that he seems like the sort of straight laced establishment figure that doesn't rock any boats and gets a lot of support before a leadership campaign begins but doesn't actually stand for anything.

I think that’s it really, he’s a stable choice. Backed Andy Burnham and Owen Smith against Corbyn in past leadership elections. 

I’m a fan of Long-Bailey like Horse’s Mouth. Working Class background, young, but with real life experience in both lower paying and higher paying professions, decent speaker and seems to me like a future leader. Biggest hurdle would be lack of experience but if she and the Labour Party don’t think she’s ready, she should definitely be getting groomed for the role in the long-term.

Think she’d keep Labour on the right path too.

Edited by Finnaldo

4 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I think that’s it really, he’s a stable choice. Backed Andy Burnham and Owen Smith against Corbyn in past leadership elections. 

I’m a fan of Long-Bailey like Horse’s Mouth. Working Class background, young, but with real life experience in both lower paying and higher paying professions, decent speaker and seems to me like a future leader. Biggest hurdle would be lack of experience but if she and the Labour Party don’t think she’s ready, she should definitely be getting groomed for the role in the long-term.

Yeah she looks like a good candidate. 

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

Pidcock, Rayner, Long-Bailey or Starmer.

Pidcock has to get back to parliament first - her seat (NW Durham) is at some risk.

I suspect Starmer would be seen as too centrist to be leader, by the membership. Similarly Thornberry?

I'd hope that any new leader would want to keep them on board in senior positions as a broad church, though.

Long-Bailey did one of the big election panels and performed pretty well, I thought. I'm not active these days, though, so have no idea how different people are viewed by the membership.

Anyway, Labour haven't lost yet....... If Johnson somehow misses out on a majority, I presume that Corbyn stays, even if Labour has lost seats (as seems highly likely), at least until it's clear who's forming the govt.

Just now, David Guiza said:

Reports of trouble at Leicester polling stations, it seems.

Everytime a cross is put into the box Soyuncu heads it away. :ph34r:

And that's me done until at least tomorrow morning. 

Just hoping Ndidi is there to intercept any Tory voters from getting in to the danger area too :ph34r:

• Like 2

Some pretty serious money coming in for a hung parliament on Betfair - pound dropped as well in the last hour.

I think we could be heading for that. Imagine the same situation after all this shit.

Just now, MattP said:

Some pretty serious money coming in for a hung parliament on Betfair - pound dropped as well in the last hour.

I think we could be heading for that. Imagine the same situation after all this shit.

As much as I don't want it to happen, it'll be pretty funny. Imagine Corbyn + SNP + others trying to form a Government and get anything through in the HoClol

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

As much as I don't want it to happen, it'll be pretty funny. Imagine Corbyn + SNP + others trying to form a Government and get anything through in the HoClol

It will be incredible to watch - I imagine Corbyn deep down is shitting himself at the thought of it.

Creates a manifesto and Brexit position to make sure he can't end up in government but gets there anyway on the back of a party who wants to break up the UK.

He might even leg it and hand over to McDonnell.

1 minute ago, MattP said:

I fear just people seeing the queues of young people in (usually already safe Labour) London constituencies and betting on a hung parliament. I don't think there's been much to make opponents of the Tories feel much more comfortable about Labour's FPTP chances across England and Wales more generally.

Hope you're right though.

• Like 2