Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
koop.

Forest Green Rovers

Recommended Posts

I went to watch FGR in the FA cup today as i dont live far away.

 

It's the 3rd time I've seen them and been really impressed. They're a tidy side that'll no doubt hey promotion 

 

Matt Mills is assistant manager there now, barking orders from the touchline 

 

His brother is a pretty tidy player 

 

Impressive team under Mark Cooper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All vegan club isn't it?

 

Love a good pie or burger when I go to a ground, have you managed to try anything when you have visited? Any good?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, EastAnglianFox said:

All vegan club isn't it?

 

Love a good pie or burger when I go to a ground, have you managed to try anything when you have visited? Any good?

We did the VIP package today, which included a buffet and free beer. The food was really good, and I love my meat.

 

The hospitality is usually £60 for a league game but as it was FA cup it was only £25, absolute bargain 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, EastAnglianFox said:

All vegan club isn't it?

 

Love a good pie or burger when I go to a ground, have you managed to try anything when you have visited? Any good?

All vegan club?

Bloody hell, I think i have started my own new rivalry. Imagine supporting a team that didn't sell meat. 

Rather be a tree. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Use to serve some nice brews from the Stroud Brewery. Don't know if they still do. 

 

When they were non league went there to see them play Bristol Rovers. They double sold my ticket so had to sit on one of those pop up seats that ball boys sit on next to the pitch. In between the Rovers bench and the mascot. A very bizarre experience. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mark Cooper seems pretty decent at those sort of levels. Did well with Kettering before moving right up to Peterborough.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good on them, always liked their message and hope they succeed.

 

The side effect of their message is that the international marketing potential of the club is huge.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I went last season with Lincoln.  Thought I'd put the wrong post code into sat nav. Went down a really narrow lane convinced I was lost and suddenly the ground appeared.  It's in the middle of nowhere.  The vegan food was actually good. The vegan coca cola made from plant leafs was absolutely horrid.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, isaidno said:

I went last season with Lincoln.  Thought I'd put the wrong post code into sat nav. Went down a really narrow lane convinced I was lost and suddenly the ground appeared.  It's in the middle of nowhere.  The vegan food was actually good. The vegan coca cola made from plant leafs was absolutely horrid.  

Why order coke when they have Cotswold Lager & Cider, lovely stuff 

 

But yes, it's in the most random place. Middle of nowhere is an understatement 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Use to serve some nice brews from the Stroud Brewery. Don't know if they still do. 

 

When they were non league went there to see them play Bristol Rovers. They double sold my ticket so had to sit on one of those pop up seats that ball boys sit on next to the pitch. In between the Rovers bench and the mascot. A very bizarre experience. 

They do, some really nice brews indeed 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Difficult place to get to the village of Nailsworth... told there's little to do the villiage itself. Not many pubs or even chippy insite. Of course no railway station either... quite keen to try and go there. Be good if we draw them in third round of the cup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/11/2019 at 23:07, Leicesterpool said:

Difficult place to get to the village of Nailsworth... told there's little to do the villiage itself. Not many pubs or even chippy insite. Of course no railway station either... quite keen to try and go there. Be good if we draw them in third round of the cup. 

Yeah, it is literally in the middle of nowhere. I think they're looking to move to a new stadium, unsure where that'll be though

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, koop. said:

Yeah, it is literally in the middle of nowhere. I think they're looking to move to a new stadium, unsure where that'll be though

I think it is mooted for Quedgeley, so not so isolated. State of the art all wooden stadium (?). I think planning permission has been turned down at the moment, but I'm sure Dale Vince can redirect his efforts from Extinction Rebellion to smooth things..... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Brizzle Fox said:

I think it is mooted for Quedgeley, so not so isolated. State of the art all wooden stadium (?). I think planning permission has been turned down at the moment, but I'm sure Dale Vince can redirect his efforts from Extinction Rebellion to smooth things..... 

Don't think that will be allowed will it? Fire hazard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Don't think that will be allowed will it? Fire hazard.

Plan was rejected for traffic and noise reasons, not the fundamental stadium design - which looked great by the way

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-gloucestershire-48586569

Forest Green Rovers' wooden stadium plan 'not sustainable'

New FGR stadiumImage copyrightZAHA HADID ARCHITECTS Image captionThe new stadium will be made entirely from wood and built on land within Eastington parish

Plans for a new 5,000-seater all-wooden football stadium still have "fundamental issues with no clear resolution", it has been claimed.

League Two club Forest Green Rovers' new ground would be built on land near junction 13 of the M5 near Stroud.

Planners at Stroud District Council recommended the plans for approval, but Eastington Parish Council said it had a number of objections.

It said noise would be a problem and the travel plan was "not sustainable".

The application will be decided by a meeting of Stroud District Council's planning committee on Wednesday.

Plans also include a car park for 1,700 vehicles, two grass training pitches and a goal training area.

Detailing their objections on the parish council website, Eastington Parish Council also noted the stadium application was only considering 5,000 seats but the building was designed to take an additional 5,000.

The parish council also claimed:

  • At almost 20m, the highest part of the site will detract from the setting of several historic hamlets in the parish
  • The loss of existing landscaping and ecological value is not sufficiently avoided or mitigated
  • The proposed £7 car parking charge will see cars parking on verges and estate roads to avoid the charge
p04f1903.jpg
 
 
Media captionThe view from the centre spot of the proposed Forest Green Rovers stadium

The winning design for the proposed stadium, from architect Zaha Hadid, was announced in 2016.

Forest Green Rovers was named the "greenest football club in the world" last year.

The club's current ground in Nailsworth is powered by renewable energy, recycles rain water and serves vegan food to players, staff and fans.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From FGR forums - a statement from the chairman outlining their appeal against the planning decision. Looks like they are hoping to get the decision overturned.

 

 

 

Last week we submitted our appeal for Eco Park and five minutes ago we we got the date for the Public Enquiry - 18th February 2020. I’m really pleased with that.

Just to explain - Stroud District Council turned our application down in July this year and took about two weeks to give us reasons for refusal (usually it takes 24 hours). The reasons don’t make a lot of sense, and will be hard to defend - but we agreed to re submit the application and try again. The council asked us not to appeal at the same time, it’s fairly normal to do both at once but the council had bandwidth issues. Since then the date of the second decision making has kept slipping, from October originally.

The latest view from the council is that there will be a meeting in late December to have a second go at this - but with Xmas so close and an election taking place that month, I’m not convinced that date will stick. In which case we’re into January.

We were eating into the time limit for the appeal, that’s why we submitted it. We’d also like this resolved.

The outlook in July was that it would take 12 months or more for the appeal or 3 months or so for the resubmission, making the decision to go for the resubmission seem obvious. In August the process changed, and the appeal timetable moved to a super rapid 3 to 4 months - if I’d have known that then, I think we would probably have appealed, for the certainty and short timeframe.

Eco Park has been in planning now for about five years, it is a little frustrating - though we’re used to having to be patient (our first windmill took five years to get through) and our experience is that when pushing boundaries with new ideas you have to be - the planning system and people fairly generally are conservative (small c), it takes time and patience.

Additionally, in the background the Local Plan is moving on, Eco Park is now in the Local Plan review process as land suitable for mixed Sports and Employment use - exactly what we’ve been asking for, and not being in the Local Plan has been one of the major arguments holding us up.

So it’s happening with a combo of an appeal that will be heard in February next year, a second decision that may take place in Dec this year and the land now likely to be in the revised Local Plan anyway (making the current refusal a little ridiculous) - we are making progress.

I’m most excited by this appeal date, it’s solid and a chance to move on to the next stage.
 
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like their ethos but one thing I dont get is why a 5,000 seater stadium would have 1,700 car parking spaces, thats more than 1 per 3 fans or 1 per 6 fans if they extend to a 10k stadium, given their mantra? Surely if they are an eco friendly club their focus should be running a 'park and ride' or building the proposed stadium close to accesible public transport?

Edited by Nalis
Typos
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Daft as it sounds I wonder if they would consider merging with Gloucester City, and relocating nearer Gloucester so at least then they'd probably have more options of site locations along with luring more fans from the city of Gloucester and through out the county. Forest Green Gloucester or Forest Gloucester Rovers lol maybe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, The Horse's Mouth said:

wouldnt mind if they liquidated 

Why?

I love the ethos and ethic behind what they are doing.

As a veggie I would love the chance to sample the food.

when I was on City's fans consultstive committee I was always trying to get more veggie ootions- now it's the in thing.

I've seen interviews with the owner and he sounds like s great character and eco-warrior. Quite the difference from most owners I'm sure.

All the players and staff eat vegan food whilst they are there and some have taken that lifestyle change and found less injuries and better recuperation rates.

Good luck to them

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Raj said:

Why?

I love the ethos and ethic behind what they are doing.

As a veggie I would love the chance to sample the food.

when I was on City's fans consultstive committee I was always trying to get more veggie ootions- now it's the in thing.

I've seen interviews with the owner and he sounds like s great character and eco-warrior. Quite the difference from most owners I'm sure.

All the players and staff eat vegan food whilst they are there and some have taken that lifestyle change and found less injuries and better recuperation rates.

Good luck to them

 

I'm not a vegan. I love my meat

But I really respect what they're doing. I really hope they get permission for the new stadium at some point, it looks great. A club with ethics. I respect them greatly 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, stripeyfox said:

I'm not a vegan. I love my meat

But I really respect what they're doing. I really hope they get permission for the new stadium at some point, it looks great. A club with ethics. I respect them greatly 

They are a cracking little club. Even before the money came in from Vince and they got promoted to the league the fact that they managed to sustain a Conference team for so many years, when they were effectively a village team, was extremely impressive. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 09/11/2019 at 21:22, koop. said:

I went to watch FGR in the FA cup today as i dont live far away.

 

It's the 3rd time I've seen them and been really impressed. They're a tidy side that'll no doubt hey promotion 

 

Matt Mills is assistant manager there now, barking orders from the touchline 

 

His brother is a pretty tidy player 

 

Impressive team under Mark Cooper

Mark used to drink in our boozer when he was Kettering manager 

 

Seriously nice man 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...