Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

Everton 2-1 Post Match Thread

On 02/12/2019 at 11:03, Finnegan said:

The VAR sacking Silva thing is a bit generous to him tbh. 

We were shit yesterday, let's be honest, they had us on the ropes a bit, they deserved to be a goal ahead and then he parked the bus instead of pushing for two. 

Later he compounds things by bringing on a DM for his lone striker to try and rescue a point. Got what he deserved for showing zero ambition. 

Cags was having a rare off day, we looked shakey, there was opportunity there they just declined to take it. 

Thank you.  Someone who knew and understood what he was looking at. 

I worried about attitude before the game and that's what we got. 

We were well below our recent standards. We never won a defensive header from a corner. Had they got them on target the game could have been over by half time. 

That's despite, Ricardo, Evans, NDiddi being our best players. Along with  Vardy and Kelechi when he came on. 

Had Keane got his shot on target Kasper wasn't saving it. 

Even BR was honest enough to say we didn't play well. 

We got lucky for the reasons you said,  Silva tried to protect what they had. 

We now move on and learn from the experience and take it in to future games. 

VAR did a perfect job. Chilwell incident there was no contact (you can argue intent by the defender but no contact no foul) Nacho easily on side. watching on sky you see it even before they drew the lines. People saying that in the chilwell incident (and others similar) if VAR shows no contact then it should be a yellow for simulation is wrong on two counts.

1 Not every incident is clear cut pen or dive. Chilwell was going full tilt, took evasive action when the challenge came in (and was fully expecting contact) to minimise the risk of injury.No foul but not simulation either (a deliberate attempt to con the ref) No offence commited

2 VAR cannot be used to decide yellow cards only straight reds. Even if VAR shows a clear and obvious error (as it did in this case) in respect of the decision to give a pen, it can only be used for that purpose and is not admissible in deciding on whether a card is warranted (the fa have the right to award retrospective penalties to players where video evidence shows that a player has deliberately got a decision by fraudulent means.

• Like 3

Honestly I don't really get people saying Everton gave up and held out for a point. Sure, they sat back, but they also looked dangerous on the counter and nearly scored from Kean. Silva was surely aware of our stellar second half record and was playing pragmatically, with his players being worse than ours. I think Silva basically did his best with the cards he was dealt, and nearly got away with it, too.

• Like 1

On 02/12/2019 at 23:41, lifted*fox said:

Ndidi was an absolute beast throughout the entire game.

constantly winning the ball back. spraying long passes out to the wings. making short, quick passes forward to get us going.

he's gone from being able to win the ball back but then wasteful in possession to being able to win the ball back and then getting us moving with accuracy and speed.

probably one of his best performances imo, yesterday. unreal player. 

I was watching optus sports premier league today and the hosts were talking to some bird outside the ground about Brendan saying he's staying, then she mentioned that she spoke to Wilf and he was saying how much Brendan has improved him, and went on to say he wished he'd played under Brendan his whole career as he would be much better than he is today. Looks like as long as Brendan stays our players will too as they continue to improve. 

Happy Manager, happy team. Happy team, happy fans

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Honestly I don't really get people saying Everton gave up and held out for a point. Sure, they sat back, but they also looked dangerous on the counter and nearly scored from Kean. Silva was surely aware of our stellar second half record and was playing pragmatically, with his players being worse than ours. I think Silva basically did his best with the cards he was dealt, and nearly got away with it, too.

Agreed. I didn’t think Everton were egregiously negative and I didn’t think they stopped trying to score. They deserved a point, quite frankly, and if I were the board I’d take notice of the fact that despite the circumstances, the team seemed to be playing quite hard for Silva.

On ‎02‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 17:19, Nicolo Barella said:

I know you probably didn't mean it that way but part of Perez's usefulness is that he finds that space and gets into those positions, which is something we haven't seen much of from Barnes'. Perez isn't gifted those positions, he earns them.

Absolutely, I didn't mean it to sound like Perez is lucky, I know that's his strong point. I just wish Barnes could be lucky a few times and get a goal or two to give him that confidence to kick on.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Clever Fox said:

Thank you.  Someone who knew and understood what he was looking at. 

I worried about attitude before the game and that's what we got. 

We were well below our recent standards. We never won a defensive header from a corner. Had they got them on target the game could have been over by half time. 

That's despite, Ricardo, Evans, NDiddi being our best players. Along with  Vardy and Kelechi when he came on. 

Had Keane got his shot on target Kasper wasn't saving it. 

Even BR was honest enough to say we didn't play well. 

We got lucky for the reasons you said,  Silva tried to protect what they had. 

We now move on and learn from the experience and take it in to future games. 

Spot on, Sunday for whatever reason we were a bit flat, over the whole game the better side, but we lacked energy and Cags had his worst game of the season that I have been to, though still made a few good blocks.

Points are in the bag just as Liverpool have been doing and Utd used to back in the day.  Lets right the ship tonight, and hopefully beat Villa, Norwich and Everton away and go to the Emirates and Boxing Day comfortably in the top 3, with maybe a chance Liverpool have slipped up somewhere and a cup semi final hopefully vs Man Utd or Villa!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, The boy Linacre said:

Spot on, Sunday for whatever reason we were a bit flat, over the whole game the better side, but we lacked energy and Cags had his worst game of the season that I have been to, though still made a few good blocks.

Points are in the bag just as Liverpool have been doing and Utd used to back in the day.  Lets right the ship tonight, and hopefully beat Villa, Norwich and Everton away and go to the Emirates and Boxing Day comfortably in the top 3, with maybe a chance Liverpool have slipped up somewhere and a cup semi final hopefully vs Man Utd or Villa!!

Exactly,  it's hard to be too  critical of the players but we're talking about the little things that make a difference. We got away with it on Sunday.  After a full weeks training and togetherness I suspect they will be back up to their best again. 

As theirs a real desire visible amongst the players. 

Enjoy tonights game. 

239163157_Screenshot2019-12-04at13_13_46.png.86f3f01d13e4559e96364dfbe7628d96.png

Wilf and Yuri pretty much in the same position there, and it's Wilf who's moved up. Perez still keeping close to a farther up the pitch Richard, and a fair distance between Barnes and a further back Chilwell. Vardy's difting to the left. The whole right side of our team are bunched together, even Evans is further across than Cags.

Edited by Foxxed

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

Absolutely, I didn't mean it to sound like Perez is lucky, I know that's his strong point. I just wish Barnes could be lucky a few times and get a goal or two to give him that confidence to kick on.

For what it's worth I think they'll come. There was this one spilled save from Pickford that was a metre away from Barnes' when Sidibé brilliantly cleared it.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

239163157_Screenshot2019-12-04at13_13_46.png.86f3f01d13e4559e96364dfbe7628d96.png

Wilf and Yuri pretty much in the same position there, and it's Wilf who's moved up. Perez still keeping close to a farther up the pitch Richard, and a fair distance between Barnes and a further back Chilwell. Vardy's difting to the left. The whole right side of our team are bunched together, even Evans is further across than Cags.

This is interesting to see as I thought during the game that Iwobi and Sidibe seemed to be receiving the ball on our left hand side and immediately being in a 1 or 2v1 with Chilwell. Barnes playing high up the pitch and Maddison drifting well inside would explain this

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

For what it's worth I think they'll come. There was this one spilled save from Pickford that was a metre away from Barnes' when Sidibé brilliantly cleared it.

I thought Barnes was our best attacking player until Iheanacho came on and took over the mantel. Would live a goal from him tonight.

• Sad 1