Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Starmer Next Labour Leader

1 hour ago, Tuna said:

Thought this was a spoof when it came up on twitter - also the replies !!

Open to anyone as well lol

Well there is my Saturday afternoon sorted with no football, a few cans and ringing up Labour members asking them to vote for Burgon. 

Thought Nandy comfortably won the hastings on Sky last night. RBL has nothing does she? Can't believe she was the best that the hard left could put up, McDonnell would have been a better shout even with his IRA connections.

Starmer says a lot without saying anything and his speeches should be available for insomniacs on the NHS. He's more Iain Duncan-Smith than Ed Miliband.

Disappointed RLB has spent the last x years being a slave to the hard left, you can tell she doesn't really believe that stuff but that's what you get for being an arse lick. She'd be by far and away the best candidate if she had forged her own path. 

Also its painful seeing the delusion about their policies being popular. Asking people whether they would support or oppose nationalising x is a hell of a lot different to the policy being popular.  Either define it so its not just a nebulous concept or add I couldn't give a **** as an option and the story would be different. Moreover, the policy can be popular but if you're seen as frivolous then it matters not one jot. The Conservatives won the election because they had simple messaging and deliverable policies on people's top priorities, Get Brexit Done, 50000 nurses, 20000 police officers. 

45 minutes ago, MattP said:

lol

He believes this as well.

That comment won Dawn Butler a 4th choice vote from me. 

I was clear that I'd be voting for Murray, Rayner & Allin-Khan ahead of either Burgon or Butler, but just couldn't bring myself to decide which of the latter two was least worst.

Thankfully, Richard has now cleared that up for me! :D

Guest MattP
4 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

That comment won Dawn Butler a 4th choice vote from me. 

I was clear that I'd be voting for Murray, Rayner & Allin-Khan ahead of either Burgon or Butler, but just couldn't bring myself to decide which of the latter two was least worst.

Thankfully, Richard has now cleared that up for me! :D

FWIT I think you've got your vote absolutely spot on. I would be Nandy/KS/RBL and Murray/Khan/Rayner/Butler/Burgon.

The biggest job for Starmer (assuming his courting of Corbynistas is a front just to win) is going to how he slots a few of them into the shadow cabinet into positions where they can't do too much damage.

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

FWIT I think you've got your vote absolutely spot on. 

That's deeply worrying. I've clearly become a filthy Tory. :whistle:

5 minutes ago, MattP said:

The biggest job for Starmer (assuming his courting of Corbynistas is a front just to win) is going to how he slots a few of them into the shadow cabinet into positions where they can't do too much damage.

Yep. Better than having them outside the tent pissing in, though.

I could imagine some, such as Long-Bailey, largely playing a team game from the front bench. I also think that Labour will need to offer some attractive, radical policies both to appeal to voters and to keep most of the membership onside. In turbulent times, bland moderation and technocratic competence is unlikely to be enough.

Assuming Starmer wins, he'll have to think carefully about what he does with idiots like Burgon, though - I could imagine Dicky Boy seeing himself as the new Tony Benn, foghorning leftist slogans as the "Left's leader in waiting" and giving the right-wing media all the ammunition they want for negative stories.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

lol

He believes this as well.

I've not been paying much attention but everything I have seen points to Burgon being absolutely clueless. 

How anyone can seriously think that Corbyn isn't part of Labour's problem in winning a GE is beyond me.

Edit: The more I see the train photo the more and more he reminds me of a child who has politely been told over and over again he's very able at something but is actually woefully inadequate and now he's just embarassing himself but he doesn't understand why. I almost feel sorry for him just looking at his face.

Edited by ajthefox
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MattP said:

lol

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/11084704/eddie-izzard-the-sun/

EDDIE Izzard says he is quitting comedy to stand as a Labour MP.

Shove him in Bradford West, see how he gets on.

We'll probably get more laughs from him than we do as a professional comic.

• Haha 2

Guest MattP

Set the record for Andrew Neil tonight. Hour special on BBC2 at 7 interviewing Starmer and RBL.

Good on them both for agreeing as well.

Good stuff from well intelligent lawyer man Sir Keir tonight. When asked about whether he'd defied Jeremy with his comments in January 19 where he said he wanted a 2nd ref and to campaign for to remain he said that shadow cabinet had decided on 2nd ref policy at that point so he didn't defy Jeremy. Later he mentioned how he had voted for a deal in the indicative votes before they had got to a 2nd ref position. Good stuff. 

I am dead excited for when the middle class public sector workers and angry students realise that dull and drab Keir, for all his intelligence and the positions he's held, comes across as exactly that and won't be able to beat a government that is just an unimaginative and terrible imitation of New Labour. 

So frustrating watching them on Andrew Neil. It's like they've spent so long in a bubble talking to people who only agree with them they completely fall apart when challenged.

Starmer was a bit of a car crash. Then Long-Bailey turned up and it was like a multi-pile car crash after the barriers didn't lift due to a trainwreck.

How she thinks saying things like Labour's message didn't get through at the election was because their arguments were too intellectualised for their ordinary voters is going to win them back is beyond me. Squrims when she has to defend her defense of anti-semitism. Squirms when it turns out her main role as a soliciter for 7 years was to help the private sector build NHS buildings through PFI - yet seems to stand on a platform of the NHS needs to be protected from the private sector.  

Edited by Guesty

Guest MattP
14 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Good stuff from well intelligent lawyer man Sir Keir tonight. When asked about whether he'd defied Jeremy with his comments in January 19 where he said he wanted a 2nd ref and to campaign for to remain he said that shadow cabinet had decided on 2nd ref policy at that point so he didn't defy Jeremy. Later he mentioned how he had voted for a deal in the indicative votes before they had got to a 2nd ref position. Good stuff. 

I am dead excited for when the middle class public sector workers and angry students realise that dull and drab Keir, for all his intelligence and the positions he's held, comes across as exactly that and won't be able to beat a government that is just an unimaginative and terrible imitation of New Labour. 

Starmer is even shitter than I thought he was. I only managed to stay awake watching it because of Andrew Neil.

No responsibility for anything that happened and his devotion to Corbyn is weird. There is courting the memberships but he's already promising to implement his manifesto. 

"Do you want free movement to continue"

"We spoke a lot about free movement" lol

They think the red wall is coming back with him? Nuts.

RBL is crap but she might be a better shout than him.

Starmer has to play a game as a lot of the membership are still very much members of Corbyns personality cult. Until this contest is over he is going to have to spend a lot of his time and energy appealing to them. I imagine if/when he wins he’ll be clever enough to shift his focus to winning the general public over.

The manifesto was no feasible, every sensible person knows this. The Corbyn cult are not sensible and until they are won over it would not be a smart move to start trashing the manifesto. There is no way any new Labour leader would continue to campaign on a manifesto that lead the party to such a huge defeat.

Guest MattP
19 hours ago, Dames said:

Starmer has to play a game as a lot of the membership are still very much members of Corbyns personality cult. Until this contest is over he is going to have to spend a lot of his time and energy appealing to them. I imagine if/when he wins he’ll be clever enough to shift his focus to winning the general public over.

The manifesto was no feasible, every sensible person knows this. The Corbyn cult are not sensible and until they are won over it would not be a smart move to start trashing the manifesto. There is no way any new Labour leader would continue to campaign on a manifesto that lead the party to such a huge defeat.

Whenever he is asked on this he seems to want to keep absolutely everything, he is surely making this more difficult for himself than he needs too.

The biggest weight on the shoulders of Labour long term is going to be the commitment to a net zero target of carbon emissions by 2030 - this will effectively be at the end of the term of whoever wins the next election.

Do people want to tackle the issue? Of course. Will they vote for a party who will effectively have to ban domestic flights, ration car usage and gas heating? I can't see it.

• 2 weeks later...

The landscape of this has completely changed now. The demand for a stronger social welfare system post COVID-19 will be apparent which gives the new leader something to work with. Furthermore, appearing as trustworthy and a safe pair of hands (aka KS) will probably have a lot more value than simply personality.