Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

West Ham Post Match Thread

9 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Narh, you know what, **** that. 

Said it a few times really, if there's one place people have got to be allowed to be hysterical and reactive, it's the match thread. You know what it's going to be like, if it doesn't appeal, don't bother. If you choose to read it, just ignore those comments. 

Good for you if you're a well balanced and emotionally numb individual that doesn't have strong reactions to things but leave people be who aren't. 

I agree that this place can be absurd, polarised, eccentric, full of some of the stupidest views and I'm all in favour of trying to fight back to maintain some middle ground. I've often tried to argue the neutral point of view and I've never enjoyed the fanatical PEARSON IN, PEARSON OUT, Haters vs Fanboys rubbish that's filled this place over the years. 

But match day? In the heat of the moment? Eh, sorry, football fans aren't robots, especially fans of a club like Leicester for whom supporting we all know is a bit of a roller-coaster. 

Ask me mid week my thoughts on a game and I'll give you a balanced and reasoned view but just before kick off? Or when we go one nil down? I'll sulk and be melodramatic with the best of them. It's just a byproduct of being extremely emotionally invested in something. 

I've got no problem with that tbh. 

I don't quite understand how rash, reactive and abusive (with regard to the 'moron', **** Rodgers' posts), is an entitlement, especially given that we're now talking about one of the best Leicester teams in our history. 

What you're referring to connects incredibly closely to the wider problem within society; that football is a realm in which people can say whatever they feel like, given the lack of consequence. I would argue that if someone is likely to hurl abuse at the manager/players purely on the basis of team selection, then the likelihood that they will echo these at the ground is very high - an unpleasant spiral to say the least. 

The point I'm trying to make, obviously not directed at you as an individual/poster, is that if you struggle to control your emotions when it comes to Leicester/football, taking a step back is surely a healthy step for the sanctity of football. I think if you'd found the online presence of those 'Leicester fans' who held up images of The Sun newspaper to Liverpool the other day (clearly an emotionally charged reaction to football), a correlation would certainly appear. 

Just now, Bossman Blessed It said:

I don't quite understand how rash, reactive and abusive (with regard to the 'moron', **** Rodgers' posts), is an entitlement, especially given that we're now talking about one of the best Leicester teams in our history. 

What you're referring to connects incredibly closely to the wider problem within society; that football is a realm in which people can say whatever they feel like, given the lack of consequence. I would argue that if someone is likely to hurl abuse at the manager/players purely on the basis of team selection, then the likelihood that they will echo these at the ground is very high - an unpleasant spiral to say the least. 

The point I'm trying to make, obviously not directed at you as an individual/poster, is that if you struggle to control your emotions when it comes to Leicester/football, taking a step back is surely a healthy step for the sanctity of football. I think if you'd found the online presence of those 'Leicester fans' who held up images of The Sun newspaper to Liverpool the other day (clearly an emotionally charged reaction to football), a correlation would certainly appear. 

I guess it depends what exactly we're talking about here. 

Obviously if you're posting "oh **** off X Player, you're an absolute cvnt I hope you die" then, yes, I'd agree. I don't know that there's ever a need to be overtly, personally abusive. 

But if you're posting "oh fvck that lineup is awful we're doomed we're going to lose the seasons over oh my god" you're not being abusive, are you? Just reactionary and pessimistic. 

I don't think the latter is inherently unpleasant it's just melodramatic and, yeah, sure, a bit emotionally immature but high stakes situations bring out the worst in a lot of people. 

• Like 2

Think it's incredibly positive for our club that players usually on the fringes week to week can step in when needed and turn in such an impressive performance.

No signs of petulance, resentment or general mardiness. 

Says a lot for the way the squad as a whole is managed.

Gives massive optimism for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

I take a lot of what you say on board @Finnegan, but to suggest those that aren't reactionary are somehow 'emotionally numb' is an entirely inaccurate and dismissive way of characterising those of us who try very hard not to join in the general c**tery of abusive language. Frustration, fine, I feel that when I go to matches and watch online, but there has to be a line drawn (and not by VAR) beyond which people have to take responsibility for the vile rubbish they're willing to write.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I guess it depends what exactly we're talking about here. 

Obviously if you're posting "oh **** off X Player, you're an absolute cvnt I hope you die" then, yes, I'd agree. I don't know that there's ever a need to be overtly, personally abusive. 

But if you're posting "oh fvck that lineup is awful we're doomed we're going to lose the seasons over oh my god" you're not being abusive, are you? Just reactionary and pessimistic. 

I don't think the latter is inherently unpleasant it's just melodramatic and, yeah, sure, a bit emotionally immature but high stakes situations bring out the worst in a lot of people. 

Very true - I think performances like that at West Ham should hopefully nullify some of the pessimism around our squad too, with the future in mind. I think a lot of people would have had flashbacks of Milwall away in the cup prior to kick-off, which, all things considered, is understandable. 

3 minutes ago, Bossman Blessed It said:

Very true - I think performances like that at West Ham should hopefully nullify some of the pessimism around our squad too, with the future in mind. I think a lot of people would have had flashbacks of Milwall away in the cup prior to kick-off, which, all things considered, is understandable. 

I gotta be honest, I think if we went with that lineup against most other teams in the league we'd have lost comfortably. 

I thought we got pretty lucky. West Ham were like a pub team. Their defending when Perez casually strolled through their midfield was hilarious. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Finnegan said:

Narh, you know what, **** that. 

Said it a few times really, if there's one place people have got to be allowed to be hysterical and reactive, it's the match thread. You know what it's going to be like, if it doesn't appeal, don't bother. If you choose to read it, just ignore those comments. 

Good for you if you're a well balanced and emotionally numb individual that doesn't have strong reactions to things but leave people be who aren't. 

I agree that this place can be absurd, polarised, eccentric, full of some of the stupidest views and I'm all in favour of trying to fight back to maintain some middle ground. I've often tried to argue the neutral point of view and I've never enjoyed the fanatical PEARSON IN, PEARSON OUT, Haters vs Fanboys rubbish that's filled this place over the years. 

But match day? In the heat of the moment? Eh, sorry, football fans aren't robots, especially fans of a club like Leicester for whom supporting we all know is a bit of a roller-coaster. 

Ask me mid week my thoughts on a game and I'll give you a balanced and reasoned view but just before kick off? Or when we go one nil down? I'll sulk and be melodramatic with the best of them. It's just a byproduct of being extremely emotionally invested in something. 

I've got no problem with that tbh. 

Fvck you cvnto. Right in the arse. In a nice way I mean. X

On 28/12/2019 at 23:28, trabuch said:

I tend to be very critical of refs, but I thought the ref today was good. I didn't even remember what he looked like until I saw him on MOTD just now. And I certainly can't remember his name. That's how it should be. Well done nameless faceless official. Let's hear it for the ref!!

I remember his face very well on account that he looks almost identical to my Uncle. 

• Haha 1

On 28/12/2019 at 12:11, East Langton Fox said:

Maybe now we can stop some of the nonsense about the state of things after playing two of the best teams seen in the EPL in recent years. We are second, twelve points ahead of fifth!

Look at Perez and Iheanacho. Quality players who have had some stick, some deserved but today proved themselves. 
let’s have a bit more faith and remember where we were only a few seasons ago.

I'd just like to say re players like Iheanacho, Demi, and Mendy, players w/their recent career trajectory always carry the possibility of becoming absolute cancers in the locker room (nothing about them personally, just speaking generally re players who go from being stars to not starting). Instead, we have Rodgers and his frequent meetings w players who are not seeing the starting 11, players who know they have the ability to start in the Prem and would be or other, lesser sides, but they continue to practice hard and improve themselves, and we wind up seeing Iheanacho suddenly re-emerge with positivity from his struggles. We see Demi keeping his head up, much less moping on the pitch, and it is translating into exceptional substitute appearances and major contributions in the West Ham win. 

I was a Puel in guy, no doubt. I loved the development of our younger players. I needn't list the youth development we realized under Claude, it is a long list and many of them are playing enormous roles or us this season, but having a manager who is really tapped into the locker room, who makes it a manager to know our players on a personal level and make himself available for them when they are frustrated and down, I firmly believe this is worth a good 20 points over the course of the season. I hope Claude learns something from the play of a team filled with happy players vs. a team that doesn't get on well with the manager.

In all seriousness, if we remove Demi's efforts this season, pretending he had been allowed to twist in the wind, yes, we are still in the race for CL along with a number of other teams, but we probably have 6-8 points fewer. We have needed all of the contributions we have gotten to get here, and it is a great feeling seeing how strong BR's man management skills are. Truly next level. 

Edited by vanity
  • Like 1

On 29/12/2019 at 14:22, turtmcfly said:

I've thought for a while that one thing this otherwise excellent forum could do with is the ability to mark certain posters with a personal 'rating' and/or tags. So I could say someone was a 7/10, and tag them with (chucking some random words together by way of an example) 'Climate Change Denialist Teuton'. 

As it is, I'm not going to remember the name of the utter plum who wants us to sign Eric Dier in January. 

This needs its own thread