Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Stepping Down from Royal Duties

I don't blame them one bit. He's sixth in line to the throne. They're still 'supporting' the family so I imagine they'll turn up at major events.

But if they want to become financially independent (including paying for their own security) then so be it. Fair play to them for seeking a life that makes them happy.

He's served his country. He's been to Afghanistan. His charity work is amazing.

He comes across as actually the least stuck up out of the lot of them and has done a lot to try to update the image of the royal family. Yet they still receive abuse and the vicious rumours the press push about her relationship with their family.

If they can walk off into the sunset flicking the Vs to those horrible pr!cks, I'd say that's a win.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, LiberalFox said:

I mean the media won't be happy or wiling to let a cash cow go. 

That's the thing. I think this will make it worse for them. The media will want to make an example out of them and go after them for every little thing. Just look how Piers Morgan is reacting.

It'll probably be even worse if they move to the US. 

35 minutes ago, Guesty said:

That's the thing. I think this will make it worse for them. The media will want to make an example out of them and go after them for every little thing. Just look how Piers Morgan is reacting.

It'll probably be even worse if they move to the US. 

Americans love the Royals. I was on holiday during William and Kate's wedding and everyone there was buzzing for it. National news flooded with coverage.

Living in the US won't take them out of the limelight by any means. However, there isn't so much of the "build them up and knock them down" culture that plagues British media.

3 minutes ago, TK95 said:

Americans love the Royals. I was on holiday during William and Kate's wedding and everyone there was buzzing for it. National news flooded with coverage.

Living in the US won't take them out of the limelight by any means. However, there isn't so much of the "build them up and knock them down" culture that plagues British media.

I agree I have American family and they're always asking about the Royals if there's any news story - and the mentaility is different, they love them.

But the paparazzi are worse in the USA (would probably be better in Canada). As much as they don't like the press over here, there are agreements to give them space as long as they agree to be photographed in certain places (eg: the only photo's of Prince George or Princess Charlotte are allowed on their first day of school then they have to leave them alone unless it's agreed or on 'duty'). I'm not sure Harry and Meg will get that in the US. Every British media outlet is going to have someone on them 24/7.

• Like 1

Harry is under the thumb and this will be mainly Meghan not liking everything that comes with being a member of the Royal Family.  I'm quite sure if it wasn't for her, Harry would continue just fine. 

That said, Harry is sufficiently far from the throne to mean he will never be the monarch, so if he and his family want to do something else, then fine.  If they use their profile on both sides of the Atlantic to pursue charitable work and have a positive effect on the world, then fair play and good luck to them.  I hope it works out.

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

Harry is under the thumb and this will be mainly Meghan not liking everything that comes with being a member of the Royal Family.  I'm quite sure if it wasn't for her, Harry would continue just fine. 

That said, Harry is sufficiently far from the throne to mean he will never be the monarch, so if he and his family want to do something else, then fine.  If they use their profile on both sides of the Atlantic to pursue charitable work and have a positive effect on the world, then fair play and good luck to them.  I hope it works out.

Heard this a lot, which shows so little respect for him.

I dont really care, but this is a man who fought ..actually fought for the country, he isnt a snivelling little nobody.

I would suggest that Meghan has actually empowered him to be even stronger and unlike the rest of the royals who meekly tow the "firms" line... he has stood up and told them to fvck off. he is less under any thumb than Charles, William and the rest.

Its the same racist, sexist, misogynistic opinion that runs behind the "Yoko broke up the beatles" bullshit. (not saying this is you btw)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, ozleicester said:

Heard this a lot, which shows so little respect for him.

I dont really care, but this is a man who fought ..actually fought for the country, he isnt a snivelling little nobody.

I would suggest that Meghan has actually empowered him to be even stronger and unlike the rest of the royals who meekly tow the "firms" line... he has stood up and told them to fvck off. he is less under any thumb than Charles, William and the rest.

Its the same racist, sexist, misogynistic opinion that runs behind the "Yoko broke up the beatles" bullshit. (not saying this is you btw)

agree with this. There was a BBC Royal correspondant on Radio 4 yesterday who more or less confirmed the same - this is definitely NOT about Meghan telling him what to do, but much more a joint decision, or even as you say, Meghan empowering him to have the strength to take the decision.

I'm not fussed particularly either way about Meghan but she does get treated differently by the media and people in this country.

Harry is not likely to ever become King so he can easily be a "secondary" member of the family. He has plenty of money inherited from his mother and he wants to do the best for his family. I would imagine his brother would be a little bit envious of his freedom to do so.

Fair play to them

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

agree with the second bit

Can he really step down from being Prince and 6th inline. Or is it that they would like to do their own thing which is fine, but no royal duties = no cash from the state for anything that includes security. But what ever success he does or doesn't have the world will see him as HRH Will Carlings son. Apparently he inherited about £27million and she was worth a couple of million too, so don't expect to see them signing on down at Windsor social security office any time soon. TBH he had a pretty shit job the only chance of promotion is to hope that most of your family die so he is a bit of an irrelevance in reality, shame as he was doing some good stuff with the Invictus games, carry on Di's anti land mine stuff etc. but surely better to do this sort of stuff with a royal title and the support from the British government that must come with it.

26 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

Can he really step down from being Prince and 6th inline. Or is it that they would like to do their own thing which is fine, but no royal duties = no cash from the state for anything that includes security. But what ever success he does or doesn't have the world will see him as HRH Will Carlings son. Apparently he inherited about £27million and she was worth a couple of million too, so don't expect to see them signing on down at Windsor social security office any time soon. TBH he had a pretty shit job the only chance of promotion is to hope that most of your family die so he is a bit of an irrelevance in reality, shame as he was doing some good stuff with the Invictus games, carry on Di's anti land mine stuff etc. but surely better to do this sort of stuff with a royal title and the support from the British government that must come with it.

Will Carling?