Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
HybridFox

Stepping Down from Royal Duties

Prince Harry stepping down.

What do you think? Does privillege come with responsibility? 

Having been groomed a Prince all his life and funded with taxpayer's money, personally I think it's part and parcel that he repays the community through his Royal Duties and Charitable Work. Potential conflict of interest using his status for work.

Don't think Meghan would have a problem getting back on screen.

I think the influence of Meghan Markle has contributed to this. I really get the impression that she doesn't like the high profile and responsibilities of being married to a leading member of the royal family, despite what many thought when they got engaged, that she was a gold-digger, desperate to marry a British royal.

I think her motives were those of genuine love for Harry. I don't think she was prepared for the baggage that goes with his public role.

I think they should generate their own income in some form and it seems that is the plan. They should also continue in their charitable roles as that lends kudos to whichever charities they are involved in.

I also feel their police/secret service protection should be paid out of the public purse.

Edited by Parafox
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Or perhaps she wasn't prepared for the terrible treatment from the media purely (and quite blatantly) based on the colour of her skin. 

I don't blame her for getting away from it at all. If not for her, then at least for her kid.

It's not like they've totally denounced themselves as royals have they? They just want better treatment from media and they're entitled to it. The way they've been portrayed by some media outlets is embarrassing. I imagine they were ready and happy to take the hit they get now these days after this news and then live a quieter life for the next few years away from the public eye.

In the grand scheme of things, is it really that bad what they've done? Is it really that bad to want a better life for yourself and your family without having to read headlines and perhaps lies and smears about you or your family?

Agreed. You've enhanced and added to my post.:thumbup:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

It wasn't his choice to be born into his family, so I think he should be free to do what is best for him, his wife, and his children 

Fine, if he stops taking public money (including money for security which may increase if he travels regularly across Atlantic) and repays the money spent on Frogmore. It will be interesting to see if Charles continues to provide much of his income; I think this seems unlikely

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

If they give up all their privileges and take themselves off as Meghan Markle and Harry Spencer then wonderful, good on them. But this is just them wanting to avoid some of the obligations of the RF whilst still being able to use the RF platform for their drab celebrity influencer murmurings. 

I take it you're not a royalist.

As a liberal it's somewhat curious, I've always felt being born a royal would be awful yet in truth it's hardly something many people could give a balanced opinion on. You get all this "privilege" and will receive an expensive education, top quality health care and have a "job" in the form of royal "responsibilities" yet you have no say in the matter and will be subject to unwritten rules and press intrusion. It's like a real life version of The Truman Show. I can totally relate to wanting to live your own life. 

Good on them.

If they're not doing their "Royal Duties", then I don't think they should be earning money from it. But have no problem with them stepping back from in - in fact, I applaud them for it.

They get so much shit and scrutiny from the media, I don't blame them for wanting to lead a slightly more "normal" life.

57 minutes ago, somebum said:

Probably found out the truth of his ancestry a while back and has wrestled with the facts for years. With his wife next to him, there's no need to carry on with the public lie. Harry is no royal.

Interesting take - I hadn't considered that. He does look more like James Hewitt than Price Charles tbf

If they want to leave then I don't blame them. The media haven't been nice to her. The scrutiny must be quite annoying when they're a spare part now William has kids. Good luck to them I hope they're happy. But it seems they don't totally want to leave.

Their entire brand is SussexRoyal but they say they don't want to be Royal. It seems they want to use all the marketing, branding and influence of being Royal without the trappings of being Royal. Want to do just enough so they can still live off Charles or us in part (despite saying they want to be financially independent). It's only a matter of time till they get caught in a situation using their Royal influence with someone they shouldn't, or to gain something they shouldn't and the press will be all over them. Happend with Prince Edward and his wife when they tried to have seperate jobs.

Plus, to release this to the press when you've been asked not to is a bit out of order. Weird they've done it the night before the Duchess of Cambridge's birthday. There's the whole Prince Andrew thing, Phillip's in and out of hospital. The Queen's people have had to say she's not happy. It's just created a massive drama - which if they'd wanted could have been avoided.

Edited by Guesty