Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

53 minutes ago, davieG said:

The founder of Leicester Children's Choir, Robert Mandell, has died of coronavirus in hospital.

The 90-year-old grandfather, who was known as “Leicester’s Mr Music”, had been admitted to hospital after a fall at home.

He passed away on Saturday morning at Leicester Royal Infirmary just two days after testing positive for Covid-19.

RIP

But was his death due to the fall or Covid-19? 

Did the virus just accelerate his inevitable demise due to the fall.

I guess only doctors can answer that but it does muddle the figures somewhat.

There is evidence of people collapsing/feinting with this disease .....   

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Government admits it 'probably' won't meet the 100k tests a day target, I didn't think they would. Capacity was 72k a day as of 9am yesterday morning, so probably about 80k by the end of today?

That's still not a bad number is it. A testing centre has opened up opposite mine at the Park and Ride, Birstall. I was amazed how quickly it went up, only took about 5 hours yesterday afternoon.

1 hour ago, Dahnsouff said:

Surely if the "following the science" dialogue is true, then the actual Government in question is irrelevant.

'The science' is a great soundbite for the government - used to justify nearly every decision, and passes on responsibility to some abstract concept.

The government in charge was relevant at the beginning of the outbreak, but probably is mostly irrelevant now. To get out of this mess we need to develop some form of herd immunity to the virus, and there's two broad methods of achieving this. Suppress the virus early on, and keep cases low until we create a vaccine that allows for an 'artificial' herd immunity. Or let the virus spread so we begin to develop a 'natural' herd immunity in those that recover. That choice was a political decision for the government, and once they made a decision in those early weeks, not much was going to change about the course of our epidemic.

The tragic thing in my eyes is that I think we based our decision on trying to keep the economy going, which has failed rather miserably. In contrast, countries that suppressed the virus early on in their epidemics are starting to reopen non-essential things like restaurants, providing social distancing measures in place. I think early suppression, followed by careful management, will end up better economically as well as in terms of deaths. 

Edited by Fktf

34 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Hopefully not true. Who knows these days... 

Retweeted by 2000 odd people and probably shared by hundreds if not thousands more people like you have done as well. So I'd hope it is true, otherwise he's just fueling further negativity for absolutely no reason.

5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Retweeted by 2000 odd people and probably shared by hundreds if not thousands more people like you have done as well. So I'd hope it is true, otherwise he's just fueling further negativity for absolutely no reason.

Well yeah, obviously. 

But if it is true, then what? 

Guest MattP
5 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Looking at his timeline I doubt it. Just the usual lefty twitter conspiracy theory stuff.

He claims he has an email though to prove it - which he's obviously keeping for himself. 

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

It probably is true but nobody seems interesting in stopping to ask why. There might actually be some reasonable explanation, there also might not, but who cares when you can just get giddy. 

Maybe I overestimate the ability to enquire within people

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Then you ask why it happened

Just now, Kopfkino said:

It probably is true but nobody seems interesting in stopping to ask why. There might actually be some reasonable explanation, there also might not, but who cares when you can just get giddy. 

Maybe I overestimate the ability to enquire within people

Ask a politician why and you get the same old media-trained answer. Predictable responses from them  

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Ask a politician why and you get the same old media-trained answer. Predictable responses from them  

Depends how you ask the question. If you ask somebody a loaded question they'll put their guard up. If you ask a question that allows them to explain the situation then you'll more likely get an informative answer.

Just now, StanSP said:

Then I would suggest you may be more suited to a less oppressive regime, maybe totalitarianism is more your bag? 

In all seriousness, the cost could be obscene, their ability to deliver to schedule may be in question, I did hear of one company created one day and claimed the Government would not return their call the next, but I have no idea what the answer could be.

These are exactly the questions that should be asked at a relevant opportunity

35 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Hopefully not true. Who knows these days... 

Seems to me, nobody in government is prepared to make a decision on purchasing stuff. We did thousands of components for ventilators and they all got binned. (not by us but the customer after ministers from the  government decided they were no longer required)

3 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

They are only human and they make  mistakes does not wash with 10,000s dead nor does asking questions who could of done better. The response was not good enough, they are responsible for that, we already have the data that shows that we’re going to be one of the worst hit countries in Europe as a result, it is all now just a question of exactly how high  up that list we finish when this is all over. Fingers crossed they have learnt from early mistakes a manage the exit strategy with more care.

What would your general plan of action be from this point for the next 2/3 months?

50 minutes ago, Ollie93 said:

That's still not a bad number is it. A testing centre has opened up opposite mine at the Park and Ride, Birstall. I was amazed how quickly it went up, only took about 5 hours yesterday afternoon.

Definitely not mate, shame it's not the 100k but fair play to them for being able to get 80k up and running.

ANTIBODY TEST APPROVED

A new antibody test which checks if people have already had coronavirus is said to be 99 per cent accurate.

The tests has been certified for use across Europe.

Accurate antibody tests could be game-changing for countries under lockdown, and would allow experts to look at how many people have already had the virus, and potentially let people out if they have immunity.

Source: The Sun

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, filbertway said:

What would your general plan of action be from this point for the next 2/3 months?

Well for one you’d be a nut case trying to plan months in advance with this. It has to be based off live data.

For two I’m not a national government with access to hundreds of virologists scientists and epidemiologists, just because I correctly pointed out we were slow to lockdown test and control early doors (common sense) doesn’t mean I have all the answers in negotiating our way out of this. Hopefully they do.

14 minutes ago, Manwell Pablo said:

I am getting fed up of reading the childish “can’t do anything right can they” lines and they are everywhere at the minute. I can absolutely guarantee you if the government cured cancer and covid I would not be moaning. They get credit where it’s deserved, for example they’ve done a good job of shielding many people from the economic impact of the lockdown and that’s a success we should all be grateful for.

You can have a look back down the thread and read what I was saying when we should of been locking down if you want, it’s all here, and it certainly didn’t say anything about rights and freedom, that’s another red herring I keep reading that has hardly any truth in it, the people moaning about the speed of lock down now are largely the same people moaning about the speed of lockdown in mid March.

They are only human and they make  mistakes does not wash with 10,000s dead nor does asking questions who could of done better. The response was not good enough, they are responsible for that, we already have the data that shows that we’re going to be one of the worst hit countries in Europe as a result, it is all now just a question of exactly how high  up that list we finish when this is all over. Fingers crossed they have learnt from early mistakes and manage the exit strategy with more care.

We're likely to be one of the worst hit countries due to our population, population density and the fact that London has around 9 million people living there. The only way you avoid this is by locking down completely, which will never happen.

You're just one person, just because you think we should have locked down then doesn't make it right for the country as a whole or the economy.

How deaths are recorded is also another factor, each country is doing it differently.

They've made mistakes, I think they should have been testing people entering the country a long time ago. I also think the penalties for breaking the rules should have been harsher, a £30 fine isn't gonna stop many people from breaching. These are personal opinions though, and I'm not gonna sit here and say if the Government had followed my advice we'd be better off, as there's no clear evidence to show that yet.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

ANTIBODY TEST APPROVED

A new antibody test which checks if people have already had coronavirus is said to be 99 per cent accurate.

The tests has been certified for use across Europe.

Accurate antibody tests could be game-changing for countries under lockdown, and would allow experts to look at how many people have already had the virus, and potentially let people out if they have immunity.

:punk::thumbup::appl:

5 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Source: The Sun

:mad::facepalm::frantics:

I am so conflicted right now :unsure:

• Haha 4