Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

10 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

There's a little problem with this definition of "political discussion", isn't there?

It doesn't allow complaints about countries, politicians, parties or voters - but it does allow praise.

So, as we happen to have a Tory Govt, it allows all the Tory boys and girls to praise BoJo, chums & sympathisers to the high heavens - and then to object if anyone disagrees with their "be positive" message.

I suppose that I could turn it around......

- I'd like to say that Keir Starmer is doing a marvellous job as Opposition Leader in standing up for the British people and raising important issues. All praise to him and all praise to Labour voters generally.

- I'd add that we have a lot to thank President Xi and the Chinese Communist Party for. It was great the way that China shared data about the virus so quickly and has been ready to provide PPE to the West. Xi deserves a Nobel Prize.

Now, I'm absolutely not engaging in "political discussion" as defined.....but anyone who responds with anything negative about Starmer or China will be. 

:ph34r: 

(i.e. please don't take me too seriously; I'm doing well at avoiding arguments lately :D)

This is bang on, but won't be received with open eyes and ears.

Anybody got any comment on this new total figure to include deaths in the community?

It all seems as clear as mud to me and 26k smacks of nonsense - what’s missing?

Is it people who have died but not been officially tested for Covid-19? 

4 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Anybody got any comment on this new total figure to include deaths in the community?

It all seems as clear as mud to me and 26k smacks of nonsense - what’s missing?

Is it people who have died but not been officially tested for Covid-19? 

Exactly this bit. Only people who have died but have been tested are included. Tbh, it should be the only way to count, no point adding old Albert to the kung flu death list if we don't know he actually died of it eh.

33 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

There's a little problem with this definition of "political discussion", isn't there?

It doesn't allow complaints about countries, politicians, parties or voters - but it does allow praise.

So, as we happen to have a Tory Govt, it allows all the Tory boys and girls to praise BoJo, chums & sympathisers to the high heavens - and then to object if anyone disagrees with their "be positive" message.

I suppose that I could turn it around......

- I'd like to say that Keir Starmer is doing a marvellous job as Opposition Leader in standing up for the British people and raising important issues. All praise to him and all praise to Labour voters generally.

- I'd add that we have a lot to thank President Xi and the Chinese Communist Party for. It was great the way that China shared data about the virus so quickly and has been ready to provide PPE to the West. Xi deserves a Nobel Prize.

Now, I'm absolutely not engaging in "political discussion" as defined.....but anyone who responds with anything negative about Starmer or China will be. 

:ph34r: 

(i.e. please don't take me too seriously; I'm doing well at avoiding arguments lately :D)

22 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

This is bang on, but won't be received with open eyes and ears.

I get what you are saying Alf and you are totally correct. I'm neither biased to either side and have voted both Tory and Labour in the past. I generally go for who seems to be the best candidate at the time of voting, irrelevant of which party they happens to be leader of. Therefore because of my views i never really took part in the politics thread as there were posters from both sides who were adamant their party was best and would never show any respect or engage with positive feedback for the other. It became a shouting ground where members would post their views and not listen to the other side. I avoided it as it wasnt my thing and that was totally fine as i knew what to expect.

With this thread its about a global pandemic and i totally get why Mark made the message at the top of the page, this topic should be all about the virus as its relevant to us all. Of course politics will drift into it and that's not an issue if its all done in a amicable manner. However some posters will use any excuse to slag off Boris / The Tory's at every opportunity and thats just not what the thread is about or what i have come to read. 

ps I think Starmer is actually good and is a decent leader for the opposition, not so sure about President Xi though :P 

EDIT:- Shit i'm now talking about politics and pot calling kettle black, springs to mind. Hence i will be looking for new content for the Phunny thread, which is more 'up my street' 

Edited by Suzie the Fox
  • Like 4

9 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Exactly this bit. Only people who have died but have been tested are included. Tbh, it should be the only way to count, no point adding old Albert to the kung flu death list if we don't know he actually died of it eh.

If they've been tested positive it doesn't automatically mean that is was the cause of their death does it?

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

I take that point, sure that’s obvious. But have their been people given Covid-19 deat certificates as probable cause but doctors at the time had no means of testing? The number seems low to me.

14 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

I take that point, sure that’s obvious. But have their been people given Covid-19 deat certificates as probable cause but doctors at the time had no means of testing? The number seems low to me.

‘Excess deaths’ in the community might be a more accurate way to look at this

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, davieG said:

If they've been tested positive it doesn't automatically mean that is was the cause of their death does it?

Not necessarily but it's assumed it's at a minimum a contributing factor. 

16 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Of course the numbers are low, many in care home are dropping dead before there's even a chance of getting a test done. The end result is the same, what does it matter if the number reads 20 odd thousand or 40 odd thousand, they're still sadly dead. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Not necessarily but it's assumed it's at a minimum a contributing factor. 

Of course the numbers are low, many in care home are dropping dead before there's even a chance of getting a test done. The end result is the same, what does it matter if the number reads 20 odd thousand or 40 odd thousand, they're still sadly dead. 

What's the criteria for doing a postmortem, would they do them for suspected Corona virus deaths with to the risk involved assuming it still exists?

28 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

I get what you are saying Alf and you are totally correct. I'm neither biased to either side and have voted both Tory and Labour in the past. I generally go for who seems to be the best candidate at the time of voting, irrelevant of which party they happens to be leader of. Therefore because of my views i never really took part in the politics thread as there were posters from both sides who were adamant their party was best and would never show any respect or engage with positive feedback for the other. It became a shouting ground where members would post their views and not listen to the other side. I avoided it as it wasnt my thing and that was totally fine as i knew what to expect.

With this thread its about a global pandemic and i totally get why Mark made the message at the top of the page, this topic should be all about the virus as its relevant to us all. Of course politics will drift into it and that's not an issue if its all done in a amicable manner. However some posters will use any excuse to slag off Boris / The Tory's at every opportunity and thats just not what the thread is about or what i have come to read. 

ps I think Starmer is actually good and is a decent leader for the opposition, not so sure about President Xi though :P 

EDIT:- Shit i'm now talking about politics and pot calling kettle black, springs to mind. Hence i will be looking for new content for the Phunny thread, which is more 'up my street' 

It is impossible to have a rational and balanced debate about the virus without discussing political decisions in whichever country they are made. Yes do it constructively but scrutiny of decisions made by governements are part of the virus discussion as they affect all our lives.

The numbers of people who will die in each country is going to be affected by the decisions politicians in each country make. Their decisions concern our jobs, freedom of movement, support for the NHS, supply of equipment etc etc.

Criticism, praise and questioning of whatever government is in power, in whatever country right now, will be taking place and rightly so.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, reynard said:

It is impossible to have a rational and balanced debate about the virus without discussing political decisions in whichever country they are made. Yes do it constructively but scrutiny of decisions made by governements are part of the virus discussion as they affect all our lives.

The numbers of people who will die in each country is going to be affected by the decisions politicians in each country make. Their decisions concern our jobs, freedom of movement, support for the NHS, supply of equipment etc etc.

Criticism, praise and questioning of whatever government is in power, in whatever country right now, will be taking place and rightly so.

Couldn't agree more and criticism should not be discouraged .. Like you have aptly stated 'do it constructively' just do not turn it into a bloody reason to spout bias :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, BKLFox said:

I have no issue with him asking straight questions but please let the recipient of the questions answer the bloody thing, he just shouts over them or cuts them off completely & well, generally bullies them, in order for them to fluster & say something out of turn.

His interview style achieves nothing except his smugness is polished, i've not heard a single interview he has done in the morning where i have come away knowing more at the end than at the beginning - good or bad because i've just heard a Question!

It surprises me that anyone actually agrees to go on the show & not to save themselves from answering a difficult question but because they don't get to answer it if its not going the way his lordship wants.

Yes i do agree with you in regards to him shouting over people. The point i was trying to make is he asks the questions others in the media wont. Still a dick though

• Like 1

Just now, Suzie the Fox said:

Couldn't agree more and criticism should not be discouraged .. Like you have aptly stated 'do it constructively' just do not turn it into a bloody reason to spout bias :) 

This is all pretty subjective though. People think their criticism is 'constructive' and others' is biased. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 23/04/2020 at 17:19, oxford blue said:

Seems a strange comment to make on the day that the first human trials on a CV19 vaccine start today following work at Oxford University:

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/18399843.first-human-trials-new-vaccine-begin-oxford-today/

Credit where it's due - I have no affiliation or link to the University.

I see the Serum Institute of India (the world's largest vaccine maker) has started manufacturing the 'Oxford' vaccine along with 6 other companies. This is 'at risk' as there is no guarantee the trial vaccine will be successful, but it does suggest optimism towards a vaccine

6 minutes ago, reynard said:

Problem is once somebody posts something critical it results in several pages of argument and counter argument repeated in varying forms with no one conceding anything.

Frankly who wants to come into a thread and see this intransigence?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Suzie the Fox said:

It's not just the bias it's the endless counter arguments with people repeating the same stuff over and over just using different words and phrases with people getting frustrated and angry with each other because surprise, surprise no one will concede any aspect of the argument.

It's boring!

• Like 2

Just now, davieG said:

It's not just the bias it's the endless counter arguments with people repeating the same stuff over and over just using different words and phrases with people getting frustrated and angry with each other because surprise, surprise no one will concede any aspect of the argument.

It's boring!

YES !!!! If i could plus rep you x10 i would. Thats exactly what is happening and you are explaining it way better than me :D 

3 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Anyone else noticed the difference in the wording that different countries are using:

"People died with", versus "people died from"?

This is what I was trying to clarify on the previous page, it seems that in many cases the virus may have accelerated the  death but is not the major cause which strikes me as a significant difference.

• Thanks 1