Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

12 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Dont know if its already been discussed or posted in here, but anyone know about the new testing? Been trying to find out online but cant really find anything.

Basically, I'm a "key worker" and my missus has developed symptoms over the past 2 days. Theres 5 in our house and she is the only one who hasn't been out at all, shes WFH and has no reason to go out. None of the rest of us have any symptoms. I've seen everywhere that the family members of key workers can now get tested if they have symptoms but theres no way to do it on the government website. Is it not live yet? I can book a test for myself but as I said I dont have any symptoms and noone else does.

Obviously all self isolating now.

Thanks for any advice.

https://self-referral.test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/

Check here mate. You can book tests through the government's website for key workers or people living with key workers with symptoms.

Edited by Sampson

13 minutes ago, Kopic said:

Dont know if its already been discussed or posted in here, but anyone know about the new testing? Been trying to find out online but cant really find anything.

Basically, I'm a "key worker" and my missus has developed symptoms over the past 2 days. Theres 5 in our house and she is the only one who hasn't been out at all, shes WFH and has no reason to go out. None of the rest of us have any symptoms. I've seen everywhere that the family members of key workers can now get tested if they have symptoms but theres no way to do it on the government website. Is it not live yet? I can book a test for myself but as I said I dont have any symptoms and noone else does.

Obviously all self isolating now.

Thanks for any advice.

It's on the Government website, but I'm not sure if they've all been booked up. I'm sure over a hundred thousand applied within the first few hours.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-getting-tested

You can apply through a link on that page. It's highly unlikely you'll get a home testing kit, you'll have to go to the drive through centre.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

14 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

For how long exactly?  Not sustainable for long;  See New Zealand.  Their tourism industry, employing 7.5% of their workforce, is dead until they open up, along with wider effects.  They also have no plan beyond hoping for a vaccine.

Do we actually have a tourist industry from abroad, there can't be many people who want to fly into blackpool to see the sights., i bet this year will be worth billions internally though 

2 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Do we actually have a tourist industry from abroad, there can't be many people who want to fly into blackpool to see the sights., i bet this year will be worth billions internally though 

Not sure if this is a serious question, but London? The Royal Family? The university cities? 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

It's on the Government website, but I'm not sure if they've all been booked up. I'm sure over a hundred thousand applied within the first few hours.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavirus-covid-19-getting-tested

You can apply through a link on that page. It's highly unlikely you'll get a home testing kit, you'll have to go to the drive through centre.

30 minutes ago, Sampson said:

https://self-referral.test-for-coronavirus.service.gov.uk/

Check here mate. You can book tests through the government's website for key workers or people living with key workers with symptoms.

Cheers for the reply, I've gone through this before. When I get to the drop down menu page theres no option for household members, that's what I was querying. Dont really want to book a test for myself as I have no symptoms but obviously worried about the other half.

Edit- ok I think I have to get tested if a family member is symptomatic and I can take them with me to a test. Booked one now, thanks again for the help.

Edited by Kopic

19 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

For all of Boris’s faults there is a real difference between the UK daily briefings and those in the US. 

Ours do come across as a real attempt to be informative and directed to helping the populace understand what is happening and  then there’s Trump 

Known as Numbnuts and Sooty Show in this house

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, bovril said:

Apparently King's Lynn tour guides wear stab-proof vests, which shocked me as I wasn't aware there were any tourists in King's Lynn. 

Sandringham just up the road?

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

London is a worldwide financial and transport hub. Seoul, while not as prestigious, is similar.

Heathrow is one of the busiest airports in the world. Incheon is likewise.

The UK is an island nation. Functionally, so is Korea. (Nothing and no one getting in by land, after all.)

Poor comparison, although both airports are in top 100 of busiest airports, Heathrow has a capacity 33% greater than Incheon.

Also the top 3 airports alone  in the UK have more passengers than the top 10 in Korea added together.

Edited by nnickn

2 hours ago, Lionator said:

An optimistic peer-reviewed article in Nature from China. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-020-0897-1

It indicates that everyone within the study produces antibodies within 3 weeks which is fantastic. The limitation however is that they don't know if they neutralise future infection. 

The consensus is growing that once you've had this coronavirus once, you'll be protected from serious disease again and that any future infection from this will be a mild cold. Hence this will eventually become endemic. 

Not sure how the second statement follows from the first - what am I missing? 

Already blood sick of those crowd-sourced webcam videos. Plus every advert is some "helpful" staff member for a company telling you to stay at home and spend your money online instead. How about I keep hold of it because I don't know if I'll have a job in a month's time?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nnickn said:

Poor comparison, although both airports are in top 100 of busiest airports, Heathrow has a capacity 33% greater than Incheon.

Also the top 3 airports alone  in the UK have more passengers than the top 10 in Korea added together.

It also has to be considered if an airport is simply a transport hub or a tourist/transport hub. I heard someone saying this morning that Frankfurt is a huge hub but how many travellers route through Frankfurt and stop off to visit the city ?  Not the same as London (or Paris or New York for that matter)

there are a number of mistakes that we made and we were also a victim of circumstances to an extent - it all adds up to bad. But as the docs have said, until you get a few months down the line and look at excess deaths in a country per capita, you won’t be able to make effective comparisons 

Sounds like masks will be worn in the plan.

Really can't see why they couldn't release places like the Outer Hebrides from lockdown right now. Surely they could test everyone who lives there and you need to get a ferry or fly to get there if you don't live there. Same possibly with Orkney and Shetland.

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Why’s it always 5 key points we must meet, why can’t it be 7 or 3 or even 1 i.e. when it’s gone let’s go down the pub 

Anyone seen the roadmap?