Jump to content
simFox

Corona Virus

Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Message added by Mark

Recommended Posts

15 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Leaving the journey up to Durham itself aside, I'm curious as to what you make of the idea Cummings changed/falsified information on his blog to make himself look like more of an expert on coronaviruses and their provenance in order to pad out his story, @BlueSi13?

 

There was a bit upstream about it but a main story is here:

 

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-52808059

 

I'm not sure that the UK should have people pretending to have scientific expertise on this matter, there's enough trouble happened from that Stateside.

I believe he edited the blog to include some points previously referenced via links?  Still a bit of a prat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Unabomber said:

My gfs mum just tested positive. She just had a bit of a cough I think. 

I wish her a speedy recovery Una!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I like your optimism but this won't be forgotten for a very long time. 

 

And without wanting to make it in to politics too much, there's Brexit still to sort out too...! 

Time will tell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gove also now indicating that he has previously driven to test his eyesight.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/michael-gove-driving-eyesight-cummings-baranard/

 

These are the people who are leading the nation. I can’t decide whether they are imbeciles, liars or both. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Markyblue said:

Over 4 years to an election,  virus gone ,people on holiday, big bounce back hopefully who's gonna care about some bald headed dickhead.

My point wasn’t about the election in four years time. Was more illustrating public mood at this time and something which might make Tories begin to twitch regards Cummings (less so Boris but MPs in seats where their majorities are smaller). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

My point wasn’t about the election in four years time. Was more illustrating public mood at this time and something which might make Tories begin to twitch regards Cummings (less so Boris but MPs in seats where their majorities are smaller). 

Yes agree with that to an extent,  politically cant see why boris didn't ditch him, 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

I believe he edited the blog to include some points previously referenced via links?  Still a bit of a prat.

I'd be inclined to think there was a bit more to it than that, but of course we'll likely never know either way.

 

I'm trying to be as impartial as I can when I say that faux expertise is the last thing any element of any government needs anywhere on this matter right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, StanSP said:

I like your optimism but this won't be forgotten for a very long time. 

 

And without wanting to make it in to politics too much, there's Brexit still to sort out too...! 

Brexit has already happened, we have left the EU 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I'd be inclined to think there was a bit more to it than that, but of course we'll likely never know either way.

 

I'm trying to be as impartial as I can when I say that faux expertise is the last thing any element of any government needs anywhere on this matter right now.

SUPERFORCASTER!  Its what burns the hair off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently not finding how the media is treating Cummings 'shocking' means I'm 'enjoying' it lol lol

 

Madness. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Brexit has already happened, we have left the EU 

Oh is everything all done and dusted then?! 

 

You know what I mean! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Part of the 'Stay Alert' message is to encourage the wearing of face coverings in enclosed environments.  However this is rarely stressed at the daily briefings and there appears to be a large proportion of the population who are not wearing masks in indoor communal environments such as shops.  This is unfortunate as it has been shown in a scientific study in Hong Kong that masks reduce the transmission rate, which is what we want, and will need more urgently as shops begin to open.

 

I couldn't find the original paper but am attaching a link to a summary reported by Fox News in the USA.

 

https://www.foxnews.com/health/wearing-face-mask-reduce-coronavirus-transmission-75-percent-study-shows

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, jammie82uk said:

Polls have to be taken with a huge pinch of salt 

 

 

Looks like Boris could shit in the Queen’s teapot and still win the next election. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So much for this thread remaining apolitical...thanks for that Dom. 

 

Anyone watching Crew Dragon lunch live this evening? (if the weather doesn't scrub it).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Gove also now indicating that he has previously driven to test his eyesight.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/michael-gove-driving-eyesight-cummings-baranard/

 

These are the people who are leading the nation. I can’t decide whether they are imbeciles, liars or both. 

They're liars. Nothing else. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

They're liars. Nothing else. 

Every time some garbage like this comes out of a politician's mouth unchallenged we step willingly towards a horror show dystopia like America. 

 

These people are not only claiming they're unsure if they can see, which is ridiculous enough as it is, but also felt the safest option was to get out in their cars to confirm this. If they're being entirely genuine, and they absolutely are not, then their lack of judgement is so monumentally poor that I think it should be enough to have them removed from their post. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mike Oxlong said:

Gove also now indicating that he has previously driven to test his eyesight.

 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/amp.lbc.co.uk/radio/presenters/nick-ferrari/michael-gove-driving-eyesight-cummings-baranard/

 

These are the people who are leading the nation. I can’t decide whether they are imbeciles, liars or both. 

I absolutely loathe Michael Gove. I genuinely think the guy is an absolute ****. He is the epitome of the arrogance of privilege. He's a ****ing useless snake and yet he's absolute teflon.

 

 

 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I think there is a legitimate case that could be made for requesting the sacking of DC, not sure I agree it benefits the country as a whole, but I see the argument and it has merit.

However, as often is the case when such a case emerges, the media and those who rail against the Government, will seek other points of embarrassment or ignominy rather than sticking with the original point.

The problem in that case is that to a degree it shares or waters down the behaviour called into question and therefore does not achieve its original aim of getting DC the boot. 

 

Once that happens, the accusers will inevitably get called into question with regards to their motives and the accused are given an exit route.

I just do not get this mindset at all. :dunno:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

If this is the case it is both useless and immoral, as it will be driven purely by the press, and I seriously doubt there is a large appetite amongst the wider public to pick over the bones of this, especially as the financial costs continue to bite whilst the virus costs begin to dwindle. (But that is just my personal "feel")

 

In terms of review of all stages of the handling of this pandemic, it should be done as a very dry,  academic led study, and certainly not as a front page tabloid expose. I also think this story with DC will pass, there is only so much mileage, new elements it has. (Like it not, he has given his version of events)

I respectfully disagree with it being either of those. Sadly, a pandemic will happen again because it's a natural event so we need to make sure that we learn from our mistakes. We were woefully ill-prepared for this type of pandemic and that can't happen again. But I agree with the second point, although the very nature of the world now means it'll played out very publicly, which is unfortunate. I honestly thought this might be an occasion where science rises over politics but clearly not.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

They're liars. Nothing else. 

Conmen managing something that has already been built i.e. the country, who spend most of their time trying to work out how they can line their own pockets without the tax payer finding out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I respectfully disagree with it being either of those. Sadly, a pandemic will happen again because it's a natural event so we need to make sure that we learn from our mistakes. We were woefully ill-prepared for this type of pandemic and that can't happen again. But I agree with the second point, although the very nature of the world now means it'll played out very publicly, which is unfortunate. I honestly thought this might be an occasion where science rises over politics but clearly not.  

I hope we are able to have a sensible conversation about the NHS after this, but I doubt it.  The fact that Germany, with a different funding model, has been much more effective should be considered.  Also we need to onshore or at least nearshore some critical production.  Anyone heard anthing about ventilators recently?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Paddy. said:

I absolutely loathe Michael Gove. I genuinely think the guy is an absolute ****. He is the epitome of the arrogance of privilege. He's a ****ing useless snake and yet he's absolute teflon.

 

 

 

Unfortunately it isn't acceptable to ask what the actual **** any of this has to do with a Bishop.  Did anyone ask the manager of Sainsburys in Wigston what they think?  Just as relevant.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...