Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

3 minutes ago, davieG said:

I'm not convinced these out of town sites like the P&R and airport car parks are conducive to mass testing. I'm sure the Key workers don't fancy a long drive after doing long work shifts.

And what about those key workers who don't drive at all? Drive-though testing is kind of difficult, then...

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, davieG said:

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/local-news/drive-through-coronavirus-testing-centre-4089009

Drive-through coronavirus testing centre will open at city park and ride site
The site will be appointment-only for key workers and NHS staff

ByAmy OrtonLocal Democracy Reporter
14:19, 29 APR 2020UPDATED14:28, 29 APR 2020

A drive-through coronavirus testing facility is to open at the Birstall Park & Ride site.

The new facility is part of the government’s UK-wide drive to increase testing for thousands more NHS and other key workers.

The site will operate on an appointment-only basis for NHS staff and other key workers. A government spokesperson said that the facility will be piloted for its first few days of operation.

Today the site off Loughborough Road is a hive of activity, with containers and supplies arriving and tempeorary buildings being erected. Army personnel have been seen by passers-by at the site.

Testing is expected to start tomorrow.

Before now NHS staff and key workers from Leicester have told LeicestershireLive they have been sent to Giltbrook, Nottingham and a site in Birmingham for tests.

The site will be one of what the government said will be "a rapidly expanding network of testing sites being set up around the UK".

A hive of activity at the Birstall Park and Ride as workers take delivery of equipment and construction materials (Image: Leicester Mercury)
The network will provide thousands more PCR swab tests - which are used to identify if people currently have the virus - for critical key workers. This means those who test negative for coronavirus can return to work as soon as possible, and those who test positive are able to recover.

Health Minister Lord Bethell said: “ The government is rapidly scaling up the national effort to boost testing capacity for coronavirus to protect the vulnerable, support our NHS, and ultimately save lives.

“This new service will help end the uncertainty of whether NHS and social care staff and other key workers need to stay at home, meaning those who test negative will be able to return to work.

“This is a national effort and we are proud to be working with a number of partners to turn this ambition into a reality and roll out additional capacity to where it is needed.”

Professor John Newton, national coordinator for the UK Coronavirus Testing Strategy, added: “New testing sites such as this one are a key pillar of our five-pillar plan to scale up testing, and are critical in supporting NHS staff and other frontline workers who are isolating at home to return safely to work if the test is negative.

“This is a brilliant example of industries and businesses turning their resources to creating and rolling out mass testing at scale, which will help to deliver on our aim of carrying out 100,000 tests a day across the UK by the end of the month.”

Park and Ride facilities in the city have been temporarily closed since lockdown measures were introduced.

A hive of activity at the Birstall Park and Ride as workers take delivery of equipment and construction materials (Image: Leicester Mercury)
Nick Rushton, leader of Leicestershire County Council, said: “The county council owns the park and ride site, operated jointly with the city council.

"We are pleased to be able to make it available to assist the response to the pandemic and to make it easier for our key frontline workers to get tested.

“It is being set up in a really short time and it’s a great partnership effort with the Government and its contractors.”

The testing centre is being operated in partnership with G4S, and will offer assisted and self-administered tests. Those tested will receive their results within a few days.

Gordon Brockington, G4S director said: “We are proud of our important role in setting up and managing this Covid-19 testing site, and other similar sites across the UK. It has been inspiring to see the enthusiasm of our employees to step up and support the government, our health services and the public during this crisis.”

A Boots UK spokesperson said: “Boots has been at the heart of UK healthcare for 171 years and has always come forward to support the community in times of need. Our team in Leicester is no exception. Some of our colleagues have already stepped forward to volunteer to run this COVID-19 testing station, which will start testing its first critical workers on Thursday.”

The Government has also set up a home-testing service for critical key workers, supported by Amazon's logistics network and other commercial partners.

Leicestershire County Council's public health director, Mike Sandys, yesterday told a meeting that a new centre was being planned for the area, but he could not confirm where.

He also said that a testing drive through at the Meridian McDonald's would "close" and testing would take place elsewhere.

Last week the fast food firm said it had handed over use of its Meridian Business Park Drive Thru in Leicester for use by DHU Healthcare for Covid-19 testing for NHS workers

When LeicestershireLive contacted the Department for Health and Social Care about the claims, a spokesperson said "there is currently no testing facility in Leicester" suggesting that no tests had been carried out at the McDonald's site.

My girlfriend was tested at Enderby leisure centre by staff from DHU a week and a half ago. Though she is a nurse so not sure if it was NHS staff only testing or not. It is feasible that DH might not themselves know where testing capability is as it could have either been a Leicester trust setting this up themselves for staff or the CCGs contracting DHU directly.

8 minutes ago, Corky said:

Surely if it's a negative result you don't have to self-isolate? Self-isolating was done before the wider availability of tests occurred.

So they are testing to see if you have the Covid virus or the flu, considering the early symptoms are similar.

Unfortunately we're living in a society where the cult of personality has won. Our leader is Trump lite. Expect all negative responses to the pandemic to be explained away creatively or shrugged off. 

Look at his funny hair! He loves Britain! Isn't he funny with his hands! 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Unfortunately we're living in a society where the cult of personality has won. Our leader is Trump lite. Expect all negative responses to the pandemic to be explained away creatively or shrugged off. 

Shining beacon of positivity you are. Melt. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

We were better off when spitting image had a say in politics. At least they was a voice 

3 hours ago, BKLFox said:

So these figures will relate to the number of people being tested that are showing Cv19 symptoms right?

So as well as having the test kits available this is also reliant on the people showing the signs actually walking / driving through these test centers or can the Government be accused of not meeting the targets even if they don't get the foot traffic to test?

I saw TV news clips of testing centers a few days back when it was just NHS / HC workers & everyone interviewed said yeah i've waited no longer than 10mins & you can see no cars behind me, is there a chance getting to 100K tests per day is a 2-way street, although i'm sure the likes of Piers 'look at me' Morgan will say its soley on the Gov.

I really dont like Piers Morgan but he seems to be the only 1 who is asking straight questions and trying to get straight answers. A lot better than the softly softly approach adopted by the media in the evening press conference where i think they are worried if they go in hard with the questions then they will be shunned by the government.

Just my opinion mind.

Just now, foxile5 said:

It's true. Just because it isn't grinning into the face of adversity doesn't mean it isn't pertinent to say. 

You're right. Its way better to pish your pants and lash out in the face of adversity. :rolleyes:

3 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

This is more horrifying than the virus itself.

30 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Then you order a home kit. :unsure:

I wouldn't fancy doing that to myself.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

You're right. Its way better to pish your pants and lash out in the face of adversity. :rolleyes:

My pants are dry, thank you. I just feel that there's a degree of accountability that will be brushed aside.

As for lashing out - I've used no ad hominems. Though I have been called a 'melt'.

I'll tell you what - it's fine, this, isn't it? The tory party are ruling grandly and there's nothing wrong with it. That shout slake the tory boys on here's need for approval.

3 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

It's true. Just because it isn't grinning into the face of adversity doesn't mean it isn't pertinent to say. 

You seem the sort to be angry at Boris for not being at PMQs this afternoon and using the birth of his child as an excuse... 

Just now, foxile5 said:

My pants are dry, thank you. I just feel that there's a degree of accountability that will be brushed aside.

As for lashing out - I've used no ad hominems. Though I have been called a 'melt'.

I'll tell you what - it's fine, this, isn't it? The tory party are ruling grandly and there's nothing wrong with it. That shout slake the tory boys on here's need for approval.

and you were doing so well, such a shame. :facepalm:

Just now, Father Ted said:

You seem the sort to be angry at Boris for not being at PMQs this afternoon and using the birth of his child as an excuse... 

You seem to be projecting something on me. I hadn't taken any interest in PMQs. But well done for drawing incorrect conclusions based on absolutely nothing. Stick to insulting people who criticise the government, you're better at that than you are personality prediction.

• Like 1

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

and you were doing so well, such a shame. :facepalm:

To be honest it's exhausting even trying to have the debate with tory supporters. It's mob mentality that won't allow for any criticism of their chosen icon. At least with labour supporters ( and be careful before you presume I'm one ) they were able to see criticism of Corbyn without getting all antsy.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

June 1st earliest schools back? 
Not sure me or the kids can handle another 4/5 weeks of this home schooling. 

It’s really tough on them, poor little fvckers.

7 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

image.png.4501387f1505b840e5e7895b649d0027.png

Just saying .... :ph34r:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, l444ry said:

Shouldn't just be focusing on Hancock's 100,000 in dismay. Should be focusing on Johnson's 250,000 promised on 19th March. Liars and Spivs the lot of them. 

Did he give a date for the 250k? It was that long ago I can't remember. In a few weeks we'll probably be more than capable of carrying out 250k tests a day.

The number of people who have died with coronavirus in the UK has passed 26,000, as official figures include deaths in the community, such as in care homes, for the first time.

The total number of deaths in the UK is 26,097, Public Health England said.

This figure now includes deaths in the community since the start of March, along with hospital deaths.

Only people who died after testing positive for coronavirus are included in the new total.

PHE said the latest figures included an additional 3,811 deaths in England since the start of the coronavirus outbreak.

At the government's daily briefing, Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab stressed the figure did not represent "a sudden surge" in deaths as these were spread between 2 March and 28 April.

There was a daily increase of 765 deaths, Mr Raab added.

Meanwhile, 52,429 coronavirus tests had taken place as of Tuesday, while there is the capacity to conduct more than 73,000 tests a day.

Public Health England (PHE) said it has developed a new method of reporting daily Covid-19 deaths in England, to give a more complete number of those who have died from the virus.

The figures announced on Wednesday have been retrospectively revised by PHE since the first coronavirus death on 2 March to include additional data on deaths in the community.

Of the additional deaths in England, around 70% were outside hospital settings and around 30% were in hospital, PHE said.

BBC

4 minutes ago, Thefox81 said:

I really dont like Piers Morgan but he seems to be the only 1 who is asking straight questions and trying to get straight answers. A lot better than the softly softly approach adopted by the media in the evening press conference where i think they are worried if they go in hard with the questions then they will be shunned by the government.

Just my opinion mind.

I have no issue with him asking straight questions but please let the recipient of the questions answer the bloody thing, he just shouts over them or cuts them off completely & well, generally bullies them, in order for them to fluster & say something out of turn.

His interview style achieves nothing except his smugness is polished, i've not heard a single interview he has done in the morning where i have come away knowing more at the end than at the beginning - good or bad because i've just heard a Question!

It surprises me that anyone actually agrees to go on the show & not to save themselves from answering a difficult question but because they don't get to answer it if its not going the way his lordship wants.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BKLFox said:

I have no issue with him asking straight questions but please let the recipient of the questions answer the bloody thing, he just shouts over them or cuts them off completely & well, generally bullies them, in order for them to fluster & say something out of turn.

His interview style achieves nothing except his smugness is polished, i've not heard a single interview he has done in the morning where i have come away knowing more at the end than at the beginning - good or bad because i've just heard a Question!

It surprises me that anyone actually agrees to go on the show & not to save themselves from answering a difficult question but because they don't get to answer it if its not going the way his lordship wants.

It's a shame that someone like Jeremy Vine, for example, doesn't take over a show like this - who is more patient, understanding and asks questions as if the recipient is a close friend/family member and also would let them to say their answers/opinions in full.

Piers Morgan, like Simon Cowell etc, want to be seen as superior to their guests and have not type of personalities to have a real right to do this type of show with integrity and mutual respect.

Edited by Wymsey
  • Like 1