Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Whilst we're talking about MP's: this is one of the better (most honest) speeches I've seen in the House of Commons from an MP - and has gone under the radar. He didn't make it in an actual coronavirus session. When you see all these people out: whilst some are flouting the rules, some of them will be people who're going through this. Reminds you why schools have to be kept open; teachers & local councils are worried; and calls to domestic violence hotlines have gone up. Makes me think about what some people must be going through in this lockdown.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, Swan Lesta said:

Wow. It matters kinda a lot if our politicians spend an hour a day announcing to the nation figures that are inaccurate and if prior intervention or resource allocation may have prevented said deaths. 

It’d I’m sure matter to you the difference between 20 and 40k deaths if you knew or were related to somebody who’d died in that demographic.

Pretty stupid and disgusting post by all accounts if I’ve read it right?

Oh and adding the word ‘sadly’ like the daily briefing speakers doesn’t make everything alright.

I get what he was saying in a way (I think) - what matters is how we get through this and how quickly and how safely from where we are ..

Hoe does the number of lives lost affect the future - those who have lost family members don’t need to know how many died to feel the loss .... however, I also appreciate that many want to know the numbers to feel that those who have passed have not been ignored and that their deaths are important. 

Guest MattP
55 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Wetherspoons aiming for a June reopening.

Optimistic to say the least.

Pubs are going to be an absolutely nightmare to run with any sort of social distancing, will be the last things to open before a return to normal.

10 minutes ago, MattP said:

Optimistic to say the least.

Pubs are going to be an absolutely nightmare to run with any sort of social distancing, will be the last things to open before a return to normal.

4 hours ago, Izzy said:

June 1st earliest schools back? 
Not sure me or the kids can handle another 4/5 weeks of this home schooling. 

It’s really tough on them, poor little fvckers.

I can only imagine how tough it is. How old are your kids?

I’m a trainee primary teacher and was meant to be going on placement from mid May through to the end of June - the entirety of the placement has been cancelled and the general consensus amongst our lecturers from what they’re hearing is the most likely scenario is a September resumption for the new school year. Obviously that may not be the case with things changing so rapidly in different areas at the minute.

In the meantime, if I can be of any help, whether that be explaining a certain topic of maths you’re not sure on how to teach, to recommending useful at-home science experiments you haven’t done yet, please give me a message mate!

• Thanks 1

Some more positive news from the States this evening. It looks like the drug Remdesivir improves recovery time in severe COVID compared to a placebo! By far the biggest and most comprehensive study yet on antiviral drugs. The solutions are coming!!! (I realise this reads like a Trump tweet lol)

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/nih-clinical-trial-shows-remdesivir-accelerates-recovery-advanced-covid-19

Edited by Lionator

1 minute ago, Lionator said:

Some more positive news from the States this evening. It looks like the drug Remdesivir improves recovery time in severe COVID compared to a placebo! By far the biggest and most comprehensive study yet on antiviral drugs. The solutions are coming!!! (I realise this reads like a Trump tweet lol)

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/news-events/nih-clinical-trial-shows-remdesivir-accelerates-recovery-advanced-covid-19

However a Chinese trial was leaked on the WHO site last week and promptly taken down. It showed Remdesivir did nothing to improve mortality or even possibly worse.

Just now, z-layrex said:

However a Chinese trial was leaked on the WHO site last week and promptly taken down. It showed Remdesivir did nothing to improve mortality or even possibly worse.

I thought it wasn’t considered an effective trial because of a lack of infected patients to be studied in Wuhan first half March ? 

fwiw, is the difference in death rate between 11% and 8% notable and the 15 to 11 days reduction in treatment time is more interesting but a lot more studies are needed ....... the fanfare from today reflects the desperation for some good news ....

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, z-layrex said:

I'd read that that study was ended early due to too few participants to make a definitive conclusion. Tbh I doubt they'd recommend the use of a drug based on one positive study but the methodology in the latest one looks solid. Saying that Remdesivir has pretty nasty side effects including liver damage, so I don't think it's a miracle drug, rather just better than the alternative of doing nothing. 

6 minutes ago, Lionator said:

But the mortality difference wouldn't be classed as statistically significant, it's on the edge so combined with cutting recovery time we might say it has some efficacy but it's not particularly great based on this trial. The key I suppose is earlier treatment than in this study but Remdisivir is intravenous so not all that useful for getting it to people earlier

I guess in a situation like this the bar is low but with there not being huge amounts instantly available it's not of much help right now.

23 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

I can only imagine how tough it is. How old are your kids?

I’m a trainee primary teacher and was meant to be going on placement from mid May through to the end of June - the entirety of the placement has been cancelled and the general consensus amongst our lecturers from what they’re hearing is the most likely scenario is a September resumption for the new school year. Obviously that may not be the case with things changing so rapidly in different areas at the minute.

In the meantime, if I can be of any help, whether that be explaining a certain topic of maths you’re not sure on how to teach, to recommending useful at-home science experiments you haven’t done yet, please give me a message mate!

Bless you mate, cheers. You have my utmost respect going into primary school teaching. I couldn't do that job for all the tea in China.

My lads in year 6 and daughter year 8 and they're climbing the walls after six weeks home of lock-down. The thought of at least another 4/5 weeks is a nightmare and it's no good for them mentally or socially being at home for that long really. They really need the structure and routine of school at that age..

But it is what is is and we'll all get through it I guess...

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

But the mortality difference wouldn't be classed as statistically significant, it's on the edge so combined with cutting recovery time we might say it has some efficacy but it's not particularly great based on this trial. The key I suppose is earlier treatment than in this study but Remdisivir is intravenous so not all that useful for getting it to people earlier

I guess in a situation like this the bar is low but with there not being huge amounts instantly available it's not of much help right now.

True, these results could be down to chance but there’s enough there for optimism and for further study. 

36 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Bless you mate, cheers. You have my utmost respect going into primary school teaching. I couldn't do that job for all the tea in China.

My lads in year 6 and daughter year 8 and they're climbing the walls after six weeks home of lock-down. The thought of at least another 4/5 weeks is a nightmare and it's no good for them mentally or socially being at home for that long really. They really need the structure and routine of school at that age..

It’s not for everyone that’s for sure!

Ah yeah really difficult ages I can imagine, I definitely know year 6 kids can be right pains haha! 

I agree the home/school life balance is really important to children developmentally, especially in a social context like you say. What I will say is I hope if nothing else the next generation, and perhaps people in general, will have a new-found layer or resilience going forward. Having these kinds of challenges early in their lives will hopefully ‘toughen’ kids up for the real world as they grow older, which will have a range of benefits.

We’ll definitely get through it, but while it’s happening I just try to look at the positives... I’m getting to spend so much more time with my family than normal, which to me is important as it won’t be long until I’m qualified and start my busy ‘adult’ life, meaning that time will be restricted. I’m sure while they’re no doubt sending you absolutely nuts you’re enjoying spending the time with your kids too, but you can definitely have too much of a good thing ;) 

Edited by Devonfox1884
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

I probably can't help much but I've done secondary. Been sending some work out for some kids I've dealt with. If you PM me I can send some bits over. I stress it won't be fantastic but will be some research for them and get them learning. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Izzy said:

June 1st earliest schools back? 
Not sure me or the kids can handle another 4/5 weeks of this home schooling. 

It’s really tough on them, poor little fvckers.

They keep taking the piss out of the ginger teacher? :P

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200430001653320

Some good news from Korea - no new domestic cases, looks like they almost have this contained in the way NZ have. Not bad considering they were the first country outside China to see a truly big spike in cases.

I think they were a little lucky in that their cases were centred mainly on one church/area and that made contact tracing more straightforward. No doubt their model of control which was developed post SARS has served them well. 

our catalyst came from half term travel to n Italy and Spain .......... and no one knew they were at high risk of bringing it back - not travellers or govt! 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I think they were a little lucky in that their cases were centred mainly on one church/area and that made contact tracing more straightforward. No doubt their model of control which was developed post SARS has served them well. 

our catalyst came from half term travel to n Italy and Spain .......... and no one knew they were at high risk of bringing it back - not travellers or govt! 

There certainly was an amount of good fortune involved wrt the location of the outbreaks - but working that out and acting accordingly and successfully made the difference.

• Like 1

Ref easing of the lockdown - many people think we were slow to lock down as we were several weeks behind Europe and could see what was coming. European countries have begun to ease their lockdowns already and some more affected ones over the next couple weeks. Are we going to be savvy enough to accept that we should wait an extra couple weeks to end may (which allows us to see what impact lifting some restrictions has had) to lift ours or are we destined to make the same mistake on the way out that we made on the way in ??.

Edited by st albans fox
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Ref easing of the lockdown - many people think we were slow to lock down as we were several weeks behind Europe and could see what was coming. European countries have begun to ease their lockdowns already and some more affected ones over the next couple weeks. Are we going to be savvy enough to accept that we should wait an extra couple weeks to end may (which allows us to see what impact lifting some restrictions has had) to lift ours or are we destined to make the same mistake on the way out that we made on the way in ??.

I suspect we will be unltra cautious. All the mood music seems to be pointing that way and the number of new daily infections remains pretty high. By the time we have to legally look at this again a few countries will have been out of some form of lockdown long enough to at leat see if the number of new infections can be controlled. Has to be said though that the Germans are already talking about their R figure approaching 1 again and they have not really relaxed that much.

Edited by reynard