Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

58 minutes ago, waddadamadda said:

Have you ever thought about doing an ultra? I’m 2 marathons down (should’ve been 3 & 4 this year but that’s looking unlikely) however I’m doing 100K straight through next year. I was meant to be doing it this coming weekend and was about to up my training when all this current craziness kicked in.  Managed to defer it so at least I’ve got something to work towards again.  I’m actually holding out hope for a small scale ultra still going ahead in September so I’ll do that instead - it’s only 35 miles so not too taxing. 

Feeling a bit ‘meh’ about running at the moment. Trying to enjoy it without having anything to train for. My club have set up a couple of time trial routes so we can aim for our standard times but I miss racing. I’ve lost 30-60 seconds a miles and it’s so frustrating!!

I've thought about it, definitely. Never really got beyond that though, have you looked at any specifically (prior to lockdown of course)? I think i'd do ok with a 35 miler and certainly would like to tick that sort of thing off my list. I've looked a tiny bit at one of the Thames ones before. 

I'd quite like to do one of those 24 hour escape races where you have to get as far away from 'x' on foot in 12/24 hours. There's one at Dartmoor Prison and another in the outskirts of Coventry that is supposedly the centre of England. You can do them in groups too which sounds great with the right set of people. 

Totally get you on the lack of racing. I always train by myself so i'm used to that, but nothing beats competitive races for me, it just gives you the motivation to go that much quicker. Particularly if you spot somebody in a Forest/Derby/Cov/United etc shirt I find. 

29 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I've thought about it, definitely. Never really got beyond that though, have you looked at any specifically (prior to lockdown of course)? I think i'd do ok with a 35 miler and certainly would like to tick that sort of thing off my list. I've looked a tiny bit at one of the Thames ones before. 

I'd quite like to do one of those 24 hour escape races where you have to get as far away from 'x' on foot in 12/24 hours. There's one at Dartmoor Prison and another in the outskirts of Coventry that is supposedly the centre of England. You can do them in groups too which sounds great with the right set of people. 

Totally get you on the lack of racing. I always train by myself so i'm used to that, but nothing beats competitive races for me, it just gives you the motivation to go that much quicker. Particularly if you spot somebody in a Forest/Derby/Cov/United etc shirt I find. 

I’m thinking of adding the Thames Path Challenge alongside London to Brighton next year. I’m bored at the moment so really want to see as to how far I can push my body.

One of my close friends did Escape From Meriden last year and clocked up insane mileage. WhiteStar running and How Hard Can It Be look like some good events. My favourite is Hell On The Humber and may go 12 hours next time instead of just the 6 and pray bridge sickness doesn’t kick in again. 

I tend to be a solo runner and living in the middle of nowhere I rarely see anyone so joining a club has helped for motivation and decent training sessions - virtual ones aren’t as much fun. 

• Like 1

If you're looking at ultras, then Equinox24 is a great intro to it imo. I did it last year (and was set to do their new race Solstice24, also at Belvoir castle, this year). Rather than point-to-point its lap-based, so you can do as much or as little as you like/are capable of. I didn't really train for it (few injuries, but had an OK base of 20-30mpw) and managed to get 50miles over the 24hrs, with a nice long sleep in our tent before the last couple laps lol. Could definitely do more than that now I've added more volume to my training, though.

I've been chatting with a few friends and toying with the idea of a couple straight-through trail ultras, 100k/100mi territory. Sounds like good fun. Obviously waiting til lockdown restrictions are lifted first, so likely not until 2021 :(

Nothing quite beats the shorter competitive races though. Time trials and virtual parkruns/relays are scratching that itch for now, but its not quite the same.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Xen said:

If you're looking at ultras, then Equinox24 is a great intro to it imo. I did it last year (and was set to do their new race Solstice24, also at Belvoir castle, this year). Rather than point-to-point its lap-based, so you can do as much or as little as you like/are capable of. I didn't really train for it (few injuries, but had an OK base of 20-30mpw) and managed to get 50miles over the 24hrs, with a nice long sleep in our tent before the last couple laps lol. Could definitely do more than that now I've added more volume to my training, though.

I've been chatting with a few friends and toying with the idea of a couple straight-through trail ultras, 100k/100mi territory. Sounds like good fun. Obviously waiting til lockdown restrictions are lifted first, so likely not until 2021 :(

Nothing quite beats the shorter competitive races though. Time trials and virtual parkruns/relays are scratching that itch for now, but its not quite the same.

I like the thought of Equinox but laps make

me want to poke myself in the eye (with the exception of HOTH because I love the Humber Bridge).

West End 8 came up on my FB memories this week as well photos from Bosworth Half. Never thought I’d say it but I’m missing the LRRL! I’m also missing my weekly parkrun blast and considering I’m not a fan of parkrun, that is saying something!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, waddadamadda said:

Have you ever thought about doing an ultra? I’m 2 marathons down (should’ve been 3 & 4 this year but that’s looking unlikely) however I’m doing 100K straight through next year. I was meant to be doing it this coming weekend and was about to up my training when all this current craziness kicked in.  Managed to defer it so at least I’ve got something to work towards again.  I’m actually holding out hope for a small scale ultra still going ahead in September so I’ll do that instead - it’s only 35 miles so not too taxing. 

Feeling a bit ‘meh’ about running at the moment. Trying to enjoy it without having anything to train for. My club have set up a couple of time trial routes so we can aim for our standard times but I miss racing. I’ve lost 30-60 seconds a miles and it’s so frustrating!!

That last paragraph where you describe being 30-60 seconds a mile down I can totally relate to

i think for me it is not being pushed on by either club mates on club runs or proper face conditions where competitive nature kicks in etc

finding it very hard to motivate not so much to run as such but to kick on time wise. I miss running with other people as daft as it sounds I find I run faster whilst chatting shit Etc etc on the way around with others 

• Like 2

20k down this week out of my goal of 25. Yesterday was absolutely ****ing horrendous I had to basically drag myself round but much better this morning. Last 5k’er to see off tomorrow morning and then I can have a beer! 

• Like 1

It has become apparent to me how e extremely important the right footwear is.

In August 2018 I got some magnificent Adidas. 

I wish I'd bought 5 pairs.  They were really comfy and saw me through some significant weight loss, my first half marathon and loads of indoor and outdoor running.

When they wore down I was persuaded by my ultra-running wife to go to a proper running shop to get gait analysis.

They showed me the overpronation on video (which was massive, tbf) and told me I needed "stability trainers".

I bought two pairs. Goodbye two hundred and forty quid.

I got on OK with them on a treadmill, and for a few months before the lockdown, I was fine using them at the gym, a few times a week.

Since lockdown, I've been going outside in them (of course) and I'm crawling upstairs afterwards because of sore achilles. 

Every outside run does me in for three days.

I went out this evening in my worn old trainers.  It made a real difference, I could actually walk afterwards...

I'm going back to neutrals. 

Never listen to experts.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Sly said:

What are the thoughts on the changes Strava have introduced? 

I quite liked the segment analysis. Not enough to pay for it though, as I’m tight. 

I really liked the training log, and the segment leader boards were kinda nice (although always filled with cyclists marking activities incorrectly, or runners with bad GPS data). Not nice enough to convince me to pay though, so I'll keep using the free version for now.

All my data is in Garmin Connect anyway which does a lot of the same things, and I sync to smashrun for some extra detail that's nice-to-have. Strava does the social side well so I'll keep using it, but the rest I'm not fussed about.

My job is literally to build MI dashboards and do data analysis, so I'll probably just build my own version of the training log as a personal project. Something to keep me busy over lockdown...

• Like 1

Not been for over two weeks no, just been so tired last couple of weeks, plus a few migraines. Maybe I had mild Corona? Feeling much more like it today, but I'm playing some social distant tennis with a mate later. Back on the running tomorrow I think.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Xen said:

My job is literally to build MI dashboards and do data analysis, so I'll probably just build my own version of the training log as a personal project. Something to keep me busy over lockdown...

Would be interested to see what you come up with…. I like a bit of data myself!

just invested in a Fitbit Versa 2…. I have had an Alta HR for years, but, it stopped doing heart rate data on a run (which seems daft) - I upgraded that to an inspire hr - but it was really flakey, so I sent it back…. 

I am hoping to have a go at running to heart rate - I.e. keep it below 140bpm on a run - I understand that it can help to build fitness…. Will also be nice to review pace etc clearly whilst on a run…. I do like a bit of feedback during a run!

Well, I’m still feeling the impact of the 12k I did earlier this week. 

Amazing how much fitter I feel and the injuries don’t ache now. Regular running and this thread have been brilliant this year.

• Like 2

Made the most of the weather this week and cycled on two days so "only" 3 runs. Some horrendous wind last two days, I only went out on the Friday and went early doors.

Lots of people putting some good effort in here!

Some of Strava's features that are now Premium I liked but let's be honest, I am not gonna cry about it too much (just yet). I did like the routing feature as I planned my routes out a lot before going out. Usually good for trying to find some new stretches I haven't been before. However, there are plenty of alternative websites that do it.

• Like 1

Well done peeps

the top 3 is - the top 3!!! Although Marvin often makes an appearance!

a whopping club KM covered - smashed through the 600km for the first time…!

04FB45BE-2CE4-4332-853C-63DC09444492.png

58CFB29C-65EB-4040-AAA8-D6886DA9ED3D.png

Edited by Wolfox
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Wolfox said:

Well done peeps

the top 3 is - the top 3!!! (Although Ryan generally makes an appearance!

a whopping club KM covered - should aim to break through the  600km

F13CC815-5A0D-4C87-9B16-982B5064EA7C.png

5E370DF2-19BE-47A4-A48E-80558C0877CB.png

Might want to check that again... left it late for an extra 22k on my total :P

• Like 1