Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

On 06/01/2021 at 16:04, StriderHiryu said:

I absolutely loathe running outside at this time of year. Freezing cold, often raining, a lack of light, etc. I wrap up warm, but then during running get too hot, so start taking layers off and then get back home and feel like I've got partial hypothermia! Rinse and repeat ad nauseum. Running around lunchtime is OK (nice even), which I try to do on the weekends, but weekdays I have to run after office hours and it's never fun. Gyms and treadmills for me can't come back soon enough!

Anyway very good running from everybody, and big respect to all those running at this time of year.  

22 hours ago, Wolfox said:

I don’t mind it this time ….  I did one run in -13 in Norway with snow on the ground and did a 10km PB - my body was red raw afterwards 

I don’t do running in the dark…. I can always sneak out for a bit

can get a bit mushy out there (I do most my running off road) and it takes a lot longer to get round!  But, winter has its own charm 

I think loops of industrial estates are good for this time of year as they're very well lit, quiet at night, flat straight roads and you can do as many loops/squares as you like. 

Saying that, I went for a run the other night and I didn't appreciate how dark it got on my road leading down to to the industrial estate. About 5 mins in I tripped on a curb and went flying down like Vardy winning a penalty. Luckily it was so dark and quiet there was no chance of anyone seeing it so pride was intact. 

• Haha 3

I'm also not a fan of winter running, I got used to the treadmill for a couple of months and really struggled on my first run after the gym closed. However I went again yesterday and got a personal best for 5k despite thinking I was going really slowly!

4 hours ago, Collymore said:

I think loops of industrial estates are good for this time of year as they're very well lit, quiet at night, flat straight roads and you can do as many loops/squares as you like. 

Saying that, I went for a run the other night and I didn't appreciate how dark it got on my road leading down to to the industrial estate. About 5 mins in I tripped on a curb and went flying down like Vardy winning a penalty. Luckily it was so dark and quiet there was no chance of anyone seeing it so pride was intact. 

I've laughed but I have to say I have taken many a tumble on my runs, even during the summer and warmer months. I live in London so do a lot of city running and pavements can be absolutely lethal. Actually I have two entertaining stories regarding tumbles.

First one back in June there was a couple walking plum in the middle of the pavement and making no attempt to make any space for anyone else. I ended up running around them and tumbling and cutting my knee open, and an elderly bystander actually came to my defence and shouted at the couple telling them off and making me run around them! That lady was my favourite person in the world that day!

Second one I started slipping but somehow managed to somehow stay on my feet, it was football style a bit like someone that could easily go down but somehow stays on their feet during a dribble. A few people looked at me doing this as it happened expecting the worst, but then started clapping me for saving my fall! I then gave them a bow and said "close shave!" and then ran off!

Unfortunately for these two funny stories there are countless other embarrassing moments :whistle:lol

• Haha 1

I really can't be bothered to run more than 5km right now due to the weather and crowded running routes, but I'm still doing 3 runs a week and now hitting close to 25 minutes! Really happy considering I was struggling to hit a 30 minute 5km in September.

On 14/01/2021 at 23:33, UpTheLeagueFox said:

8k jog/trudge/walk today.

It's 'kin horrible being out in this weather. 

And exercising in this weather is even worse.

On the plus side = 900+ calories burnt apparently.

Same again today, marginally quicker, horrible out though.

I like to think if I had a decent treadmill in my house I'd use it a lot.

But like most things the novelty would probably soon wear off!

Any recommendations for treadmills...?

12 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Same again today, marginally quicker, horrible out though.

I like to think if I had a decent treadmill in my house I'd use it a lot.

But like most things the novelty would probably soon wear off!

Any recommendations for treadmills...?

Buy a second hand/reconditioned commercial one mate (like they have in proper gyms)

The 'home' treadmills are shite IMO and not really suitable for 'big' fella like yourself.

We got a YORK reconditioned treadmill from their clearance factory outlet store in Daventry years ago. Doesn't look like they've got much in stock at the moment though unfortunately: https://yorkfitness.com/collections/clearance

The RRP was about £2k but we only paid £400 for it. Problem was it was so fvckin heavy it wouldn't fit in the back of the wife's estate car so we had to borrow a trailer! We had it for about 2 years before the kids came along and then sold it on eBay to a bloke in Gloucester for £600 - result :thumbup:

Good luck finding something decent mate. I imagine a proper treadmill at a good price is as rare as rocking horse shit atm.

• Like 1

I've been suffering quite a bit with what I think is Plantar Fasciitis for about a year now and nothing I've tried has worked. I got some great compression socks which work whilst running, but as soon as I take my running shoes off it's agony again. 

Managed 32 miles in 4 hours this year so far though, whereas October - December was a bit of a write off so at least that's a positive!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/01/2021 at 11:32, David Guiza said:

I've been suffering quite a bit with what I think is Plantar Fasciitis for about a year now and nothing I've tried has worked. I got some great compression socks which work whilst running, but as soon as I take my running shoes off it's agony again. 

Managed 32 miles in 4 hours this year so far though, whereas October - December was a bit of a write off so at least that's a positive!

I had plantar (still have on and off) and yes I agree compression socks definitely help. They recommend resting it up for a couple of weeks for me but I only managed 6 days and then just got on with it. 

hideous at worst but luckily most runs now I just don’t feel it anymore 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

I had plantar (still have on and off) and yes I agree compression socks definitely help. They recommend resting it up for a couple of weeks for me but I only managed 6 days and then just got on with it. 

hideous at worst but luckily most runs now I just don’t feel it anymore 

Cheers for the advice!

I rested for around 2 months last summer and only did Yoga and the walks, but it seems to have come back recently with a vengeance. I've just ordered some compression socks as well to ease recovery, which makes a change as I very much used to be a shorts and any old t-shirt runner. 

Getting a little fed up with snow before it's even happened again too. I only really get a chance to do long runs at the weekend because I'm in the office 9-5 and then struggle in the evening because we live out in the country somewhat and there's not much by way of pavement. You'd think a bright headlamp would be enough to stop cars forcing you into a ditch but seemingly not! Onwards to March/April when I get more miles in! 

• Like 1

Did a 12 km run today (pace = 6'30" per km) when I could easily have had a nap. A mate pushed me on whatsapp and that got me out.

I do prefer the short walk bits in between the running as always but that's my longest trot since May.

Mate is pushing me to do a half marathon by the end of April but that seems utterly ridiculous.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Did a 12 km run today (pace = 6'30" per km) when I could easily have had a nap. A mate pushed me on whatsapp and that got me out.

I do prefer the short walk bits in between the running as always but that's my longest trot since May.

Mate is pushing me to do a half marathon by the end of April but that seems utterly ridiculous.

Think I ran 12k as my furthest distance  and then one day, for no particular reason, I decided to go for a little run. So I ran to the end of the road. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd run to the end of the town. And when I got there, I thought maybe I'd just run across Greenbow County. And I figured, since run this far, maybe I'd just run across the great state of Alabama. And that's what I did. I ran clear across Alabama. For no particular reason I just kept on goin'. I ran clear to the ocean. And when I got there, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well turn around, just keep on goin'. When I got to another ocean, I figured, since I'd gone this far, I might as well just turn back, keep right on goin

2 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

The longest run I'd done before my first half marathon was 6/7 miles and didn't find it a particularly big step up. Since then I've done 10/15 half mararhons and a few marathons too, it's a slippery slope! 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, David Guiza said:

The longest run I'd done before my first half marathon was 6/7 miles and didn't find it a particularly big step up. Since then I've done 10/15 half mararhons and a few marathons too, it's a slippery slope! 

6/7 miles to 13 miles sounds like a massive leap to me!

Well done though DG.

• Like 1

Went out for a 5k time trial today, trying to set a benchmark as I get back into it after barely running since October (injury, then illness (not covid), then general life stuff getting in the way). Setting an OK pace for the first mile then started to get dizzy and light-headed, so played it safe, cut the run short and walked back home. Super frustrating as I've tried a few times over the last month to get back into my running but have struggled to even get started, let alone get any sort of consistency.

It'll come back eventually, especially when the weather starts to get a bit warmer, but its frustrating being so far away from where i was last year when i was making massive progress.

Oh well.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Cold this morning wasn’t it? I have recently set myself the target of a below 50 minute 10k and I really don’t think it’s gonna happen. Body just can’t sustain the 5 min per k rate for long enough 

Mate, this is the exact same position I'm in. I've started a proper plan with my training including interval training and cutting right back on just going out and blasting it all the time as I was making little progress. 

Apparently this is the way forward. I'll be a good guinni pig as I've been in the same rut with my poor 10k time for years. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Collymore said:

Mate, this is the exact same position I'm in. I've started a proper plan with my training including interval training and cutting right back on just going out and blasting it all the time as I was making little progress. 

Apparently this is the way forward. I'll be a good guinni pig as I've been in the same rut with my poor 10k time for years. 

Each run has a different purpose... intervals will really help with 5km/10km & a long run and you should see improvements! (Especially if you’ve not been doing any interval / faster stuff)

Started running again at the start of the month as something to keep me busy. Somehow ended up running over 100km and my first couple of 10k’s in there as well. Felt good this month so hopefully keep it up. 

Edited by goody2028
  • Like 2