Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Wolfox

FoxesTalk Strava virtual running club

35 minutes ago, Izzy said:

:mad:

You'll beat me this week for sure. I was all cocky thinking I knew it all and saying 'run it off' when injured and it's come back to bite me on the arse.

I ran 8km on Tuesday and got a pain on my right Achilles but figured I'd just 'run it off' then ran 5km yesterday and just made it worse. Woke up this morning in agony and reckon it'll be a few days until I can run again.

Lesson learnt: I'm too old to run every day. And I don't properly stretch before/after I don't think.

5-8km every other day and I should be happy with that at my age.

I felt a twinge in my back on Tuesday, so had the last two days off (despite me really needing to lose some weight!).

I thought its best to let my back recover rather than make it worse and have to have longer off. Need to listen to the body. You're ahead of me this week, think I'll be back saturday.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Izzy said:

:mad:

You'll beat me this week for sure. I was all cocky thinking I knew it all and saying 'run it off' when injured and it's come back to bite me on the arse.

I ran 8km on Tuesday and got a pain on my right Achilles but figured I'd just 'run it off' then ran 5km yesterday and just made it worse. Woke up this morning in agony and reckon it'll be a few days until I can run again.

Lesson learnt: I'm too old to run every day. And I don't properly stretch before/after I don't think.

5-8km every other day and I should be happy with that at my age.

How old are you, Izzy?

On 07/04/2020 at 11:14, Izzy said:

Same here mate.

I invested in some new trainers that are specifically designed for road/path running and they've helped a lot.

Also tried tying my laces using 'runners loop/heel lock' as someone mentioned on here and that's made a huge difference too (still prefer treadmill though if I'm honest and don't get the same aches and pains as I do after an outside run)

Thank you for posting this, it's an absolute game changer! I can't believe I didn't know about this before!

Anyway I am well and truly late to the party, here are some of my stats. Basically with lockdown being so boring, I find my daily run to be the highlight of my day. As a result, I think I've completely overcooked it! But on the plus side, looking trimmer than I have done in a very long time!

Run.PNG.fd91b45078e06436ee9dfd3e0180d05e.PNG

Log.PNG.e75b248352c70572d19d10fa5a0f4fa2.PNG

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Bob Weasel Fox said:

My dad (now has vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s mix) used to be a well respected local athletics coach and he always said to me work on distance first (don’t worry about time) and then when you have achieved distance goals then work on speed (although to a degree both get better gradually usually anyway)   

hope this helps

Thank you for that. I've gone from a couple of 5k runs over the last week to a 6.1k yesterday. Hoping to push that up to a 7.5k tomorrow. 

Would like to keep around the 5 minutes a k. If I'm feeling OK I might go for a 10k before the month is out.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Izzy said:

Errrr, you can fook right off out of this club with distances like that marathon man!

Jezzuz!

:nigel:

The scary thing is that even my best runs are HALF a marathon. Makes you wonder what running a real one must be like. I reckon I could do it, probably in between 4-5 hours, though I think I would be bored off my tits after hour 3. I think that's one thing that I find challenging about outdoors running - preventing boredom. I run with music, but even with a banging playlist it can be a real mental challenge! I think that because of lockdown I have been able to run much further (usually I run on the treadmill in the gym) because I miss being outside and am generally the type that loves a walk and wander in the summer. You'll notice that as a Londoner (these days) I am running around Hype Park, Regents Park etc and these are great locations to motivate you to run as they are really nice places to be in the spring and summer, even if they are often filled with teenagers and tourist twats not respecting Social Distancing!

Has anyone on the forum run a marathon before? What was it like? I never thought about doing it before, but I am tempted to attempt the 2021 version because I reckon I could pull it off.

Anyway on a similar note, one thing that blows my mind is the recent sub two hour marathon by Eliud Kipchoge. He ran a pace of 21.1 kilometers an hour for two hours!!! Seriously how!!?! That's a pace of 4:34 per mile and 2:51 per kilometer. And he did it!!!?

Obviously he has some genetics that help him but even so... it just puts things into perspective and shows you how amazing the human body can be!

This video shows just how crazy that pace looks like to an average person.... nuts!

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StriderHiryu said:

The scary thing is that even my best runs are HALF a marathon. Makes you wonder what running a real one must be like. I reckon I could do it, probably in between 4-5 hours, though I think I would be bored off my tits after hour 3. I think that's one thing that I find challenging about outdoors running - preventing boredom. I run with music, but even with a banging playlist it can be a real mental challenge! I think that because of lockdown I have been able to run much further (usually I run on the treadmill in the gym) because I miss being outside and am generally the type that loves a walk and wander in the summer. You'll notice that as a Londoner (these days) I am running around Hype Park, Regents Park etc and these are great locations to motivate you to run as they are really nice places to be in the spring and summer, even if they are often filled with teenagers and tourist twats not respecting Social Distancing!

Has anyone on the forum run a marathon before? What was it like? I never thought about doing it before, but I am tempted to attempt the 2021 version because I reckon I could pull it off.

Anyway on a similar note, one thing that blows my mind is the recent sub two hour marathon by Eliud Kipchoge. He ran a pace of 21.1 kilometers an hour for two hours!!! Seriously how!!?! That's a pace of 4:34 per mile and 2:51 per kilometer. And he did it!!!?

Obviously he has some genetics that help him but even so... it just puts things into perspective and shows you how amazing the human body can be!

This video shows just how crazy that pace looks like to an average person.... nuts!

I did the london marathon in 2007, seems a long time ago now! The actual marathon itself was great, I got a place through a charity and they have people every few miles cheering you on. The atmosphere is great and they have bands playing outside pubs along the route. I took my earphones off because there was so much going on. The training in the last few weeks was horrific, finishing work and then heading out for a three hour run was a right ball ache.

In terms of distance, you just keep going a bit further every week and your fitness level just gets better do you are able to go for longer, it's just the boredom that gets you.

Edited by ketteringscott
  • Like 2

Was about to post about Kipchoge then notice that someone’s beat me to it. What he did was insane. He ran at a pace much faster than my fastest 5K pace for ****ing two hours. At the pace he ran I can probably manage about 5 minutes. He didn’t even look tired at the end. Makes my 20 minute 5K target seem snail slow. Though it’s all relative I suppose. He’s an incredible athlete. X 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

Was about to post about Kipchoge then notice that someone’s beat me to it. What he did was insane. He ran at a pace much faster than my fastest 5K pace for ****ing two hours. At the pace he ran I can probably manage about 5 minutes. He didn’t even look tired at the end. Makes my 20 minute 5K target seem snail slow. Though it’s all relative I suppose. He’s an incredible athlete. X 

If you can manage 5 minutes at sub-5/mile pace then kudos to you, thats absolutely rapid! Judging by the Rainbows 100-lap challenge last year, most of the quick lot were getting somewhere in the 1:00-1:10 range for each of their laps, and I doubt they'd be able to hold that pace for even a second consecutive lap in most cases. Kipchoge's record run would have been at that 1:10/lap pace continually - he'd have dropped all but the absolute best within 4 minutes I reckon.

Just checked and theres a guy at my club who is often around the podium positions at the league races (so top level) and his mile PB is about 4:20, so the best club runners in Leicester would probably last around 5-6 minutes... wow.

Edit: Same guy just ran 4.9 miles in 30 minutes for our club virtual relay, then says he would've done more but he's injured currently. Bloke is superhuman, I swear...

Edited by Xen
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, RumbleFox said:

If you can run 21km for 5 minutes, that is seriously incredible! That's sprinting solidly for 5 minutes! So props to you dude that is phenomenal!

The best I can do is 17.0km an hour for 5 minutes and that's at the gym on a treadmill, with the air conditioning unit directly above me to blow cold air on me and with an extremely attractive lady with a fantastic posterior on the machine in front of me acting as additional motivation to keep running! On the road my pace is soooo much slower even though I have running shoes. It is so tough to run that kind of pace.

I seem to be better at running distance rather than hard pace. Managed to 14.5 miles today! Took me 2hours 15 to do that, and will now be enjoying a tipple plus a lot of chocolate as a reward!

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

I am sure I have read/heard that someone like Kipchoge runs at a pace of about 17 secs per 100m on average. That is just nuts. And that is 422 100m runs at that pace back to back.

I reckon I’d be closer to 20 seconds for a 100 meters these days. I’d be knackered after that!! Scary to think I once ran it in 11.03! 😂 

Anyhow, got out again to do a bit tonight. Pace picked back up after a few days rest. Back under 12 minutes miles. Really slow I know, feels like an achievement compared to where I was though. 

My goal at this moment in time is to break the 10 minute per mile barrier. 

On 23/04/2020 at 10:57, MustardTiger said:

I must say I'm feeling a little hard done by on the leader boards running shorter weekly distance but at 4.10/km or less.

I wish there was a leader board for fastest ran set distances..

We can throw some additional stats at the end of the Sunday…!

That’s seriously good pace…. If I break a single km <5min pace I’m always chuffed!

Back being rested this week…. So nothing not much of a contribution from me 😔 

Get the feeling a new member may top the charts!

I’m going out for a 5K later and just gonna set off fast and try and hold  on haha. My current PB is 21:30 and gonna try and beat it. No science, no careful training this time just gonna try and go fast and not die. 

Edited by RumbleFox
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, RumbleFox said:

I’m going out for a 5K later and just gonna set off fast and try and hold  on haha. My current PB is 21:30 and gonna try and beat it. No science, no careful training this time just gonna try and go fast and not die. 

Good luck and god speed! Let us know how you get on!

Also who are you in the running club?

• Like 1

My right achilles is fvcked and my left one hurts too. I've obviously over done this running lark and need to take a proper rest to let them recover.

No running for me for at lease a week I reckon. Very frustrating :(

• Like 1

For anyone with bad knees, this exercise (Peterson Step Up) really helped me.....

Caveat: I am not a doctor so if this gives you any pain I’d stop and speak to a professional. Not a fan of folk playing doctor online as it can be dangerous so just sharing something that helped me personally. I still do this every other day, currently doing it with the baby strapped to me in the sling but start with a very low step and no weight. It is not at first sight a taxing move but it isolates a very overlooked muscle so go slow and steady. X 

Edited by RumbleFox

15 hours ago, Sly said:

My goal at this moment in time is to break the 10 minute per mile barrier. 

I did 7 miles at an average of 10.5 mins per mile yesterday (that was the usual mix of run a bit, walk a bit) which is probably the best I've done outside

@Izzy I used those new trainers you recommended for the first time. So far so good.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, RumbleFox said:

Quick heads up, don’t just set off really fast and assume momentum and the Rocky theme will keep you going. I was off like a shot, was shouting “up yours Kipchoge!” to myself. Managed to do the first 3km at 4 minute pace and thought I was on for a 20 minute 5K. Then obviously my body realised that my brain chatting shit and started to break down. 4th km was slow and 5th ended with what can only be described as a walking, wheezing gelatinous blob. Just managed to beat my PB but I shan’t be having anymore children as I think I broke something deep within. X 

Very impressive effort in this heat! Go for another attempt when the weather is a bit cooler and you'll get even closer to that 20 min mark ;)

One of my goals for the year has been Sub20 in 2020, as well. Was on hold during marathon training and I've just been running maintenance miles since then, but think I'm gonna start on a more specific training plan from tomorrow onwards. Hoping to get fast enough by the time parkruns come back that I can kick things off with a 19:XX :D 

• Like 2