Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

US Presidential Election 2020

i don't really understand all this primary and caucus stuff, no idea what is going on. All a bit of theatre. 

Can't be good to have two billionaires going against each other or a 78 who had heart attack.  I don't think Trump has been as bad as people said but he shouldn't be top man in the biggest job in the world. 

I'd like to see Bernie win the whole thing, but I'm not choosy - given the difference in policies on womens and LGBT rights, environmental policy, gun control, conditions at the border, the role of religion in government, among other things...it has to be blue no matter who.

Having Trump in charge only suits a very small number of people in the short term and no one at all in the long term, it's just sad that his marketing skill has enabled him to sell so many lies so effectively. But I can't deny that it has been effective, playing directly to peoples economic self-interest in the way that he has.

Edited by leicsmac

Hopefully New Hampshire spells the end for Biden; very very weird man and offers very little in my opinion. I just hope the more ‘minority-heavy’ primaries don’t resurrect his campaign.

Honestly very little that impressed me this time, Buttgieg seems like the most boring man in the world and I could see him lose even heavier than Hillary did. Warren seems like a Bernie-lite with no cutting edge with an air of virtue-signalling that just annoys me.

This time around isn’t the same Bernie of 2016, health issues are a talking point that I could see voters taking into account. Still the most electable candidate in my opinion.

8 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I'd like to see Bernie win the whole thing, but I'm not choosy - given the difference in policies on womens and LGBT rights, environmental policy, gun control, conditions at the border, the role of religion in government, among other things...it has to be blue no matter who.

Having Trump in charge only suits a very small number of people in the short term and no one at all in the long term, it's just sad that his marketing skill has enabled him to sell so many lies so effectively. But I can't deny that it has been effective, playing directly to peoples economic self-interest in the way that he has.

Really you seem to forget 62,985,106 people voted for him last time round, but I can see why you would believe that 63 million is on a small number of people.

Obviously it would be better for the world if someone as compassionate as Bernie were to be voted in president. Personally I think if it's Bernie v Trump, I think Trump wins. Bernie will be 79 once he will become president. That is VERY old. That is basically the average age of when a male dies. I can see Trump's campaign being VERY negative towards his age and health. Doesn't help that he had some sort of health scare not long ago either. 

Reckon who ever it will be it will probably be another 4 years of Trump. The economy is doing well enough for him to keep his job i think. 

52 minutes ago, twoleftfeet said:

Really you seem to forget 62,985,106 people voted for him last time round, but I can see why you would believe that 63 million is on a small number of people.

Well, I might suggest that there is a statistically significant difference between the amount of people who vote for someone in the belief that they will make their lives better and the number of people who actually benefit from the policy that someone puts forward while in power (the second tends to be much smaller than the first), but of course, your mileage may vary.

It is going to be very difficult for the democrats, they need someone with a personality as they are going up aginst the Donald. if they stray too far to the left they will easily be attacked as in this country with Jeremy Corbyn with such right wing press not to mention the Republican Fox news. it is also going to be hard as in most cases the imcumbent usually is given a second term. as with most elections the inner US states will all vote Republican. it does not look like the Democrats have a Bill Clinton type person to defeat Donald. Bernie is too old and too far to the left.

4 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Honestly very little that impressed me this time, Buttgieg seems like the most boring man in the world and I could see him lose even heavier than Hillary did. Warren seems like a Bernie-lite with no cutting edge with an air of virtue-signalling that just annoys me.

This time around isn’t the same Bernie of 2016, health issues are a talking point that I could see voters taking into account. Still the most electable candidate in my opinion.

Warren has more than an air of virtue signalling, she's arguably one of the biggest outside of Hollywood - this is a woman who tries to pass herself off as an American Indian.

Speaking of which,

This made me chuckle "sometimes referred to as Pocahontus" lol - Pretty much because of you Donald lol

I've actually been pretty impressed by Buttgieg, maybe it's because he is fresh but he speaks well and seems to offer a sensible approach appealing to all demographics rather than going all out for the kids.

I've been doing a bit of reading about Bernie and I was very unfair in comparing him to Corbyn as he clearly supports NATO and has backed military campaigns over the years - he's pretty much in line with Trump on Iraq, Libya and Bosnia. The only slight doubt is whether countries like Iran and North Korea would see him as even weaker than Obama when it comes to nuclear capability and development. 

Still fancy Bloomberg to win the nomination though.

Edited by MattP

4 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Hopefully New Hampshire spells the end for Biden; very very weird man and offers very little in my opinion. I just hope the more ‘minority-heavy’ primaries don’t resurrect his campaign.

Doubtful or they wouldn't have voted for an overweight fast food guzzler.  Besides, unlike that time Trump got a fake doctor's assessment to declare him the healthiest president ever, Bernie's received accurate medical feedback and they declared him fit to run.

20 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Doubtful or they wouldn't have voted for an overweight fast food guzzler.  Besides, unlike that time Trump got a fake doctor's assessment to declare him the healthiest president ever, Bernie's received accurate medical feedback and they declared him fit to run.

Doesn't matter how fit his doctors say he is. Starting a very stressful job at 79 could easily impact his health. Lots of healthy men die of heart attacks st that age and more. He'll be 83 if he gets gets through four years you can't discount that that won't have an impact on voters. Then you chuck in tons of right wing propaganda from the likes of Fox news etc and all of a sudden people start thinking he's too old. Yes trump is old but he'll finish the presidency at 79 the same year bernie would be starting!

10 minutes ago, Christoph said:

Doesn't matter how fit his doctors say he is. Starting a very stressful job at 79 could easily impact his health. Lots of healthy men die of heart attacks st that age and more. He'll be 83 if he gets gets through four years you can't discount that that won't have an impact on voters. Then you chuck in tons of right wing propaganda from the likes of Fox news etc and all of a sudden people start thinking he's too old. Yes trump is old but he'll finish the presidency at 79 the same year bernie would be starting!

It absolutely matters how fit his doctors say he is, if it didn't then Trump wouldn't have had the laughable note declaring him a beacon of fitness written up.  If you choose to disregard authentic expert opinion on the basis of the man's age that's your prerogative, but for me if he's fit enough he's young enough.

54 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

It absolutely matters how fit his doctors say he is, if it didn't then Trump wouldn't have had the laughable note declaring him a beacon of fitness written up.  If you choose to disregard authentic expert opinion on the basis of the man's age that's your prerogative, but for me if he's fit enough he's young enough.

Doesn't matter what I think. I'm just saying the kind of people who voted Donald trump last time might well vote him in again based on bernies age. 79 years old is not exactly a healthy age no matter how you look at it. If he somehow manages to do two terms hell be 87!! 

6 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

Those pictures of him kissing his 20 y/o grand daughter on the lips really sold me on him being a creep. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Those pictures of him kissing his 20 y/o grand daughter on the lips really sold me on him being a creep. 

For me it was the video on Twitter of a younger woman (presumably a further left Democrat) being critical of his platform for being so washy. He initially seemed to think she was a supporter, went to hug her, then proceeded to hold onto her as she criticised his platform (clearly extremely uncomfortable with the situation) all the time with this creepy wide grin on his face.

Utterly bizarre and very strange behaviour.

Trump hasn’t got enough of a base. Think he loses to basically any of them. As the above post suggests I think Bloomberg has the best shot given his resources. Those two have been sparring on twitter lately with DT mocking his height.

10 minutes ago, shanetko said:

Trump hasn’t got enough of a base. Think he loses to basically any of them. As the above post suggests I think Bloomberg has the best shot given his resources. Those two have been sparring on twitter lately with DT mocking his height.

He won 304 of electoral college and carried 30 different states in 2016 - ludicrous to suggest he hasn't got the base to win.

It's all about whether the Democrats can get voters turning out on the rust belt for them again or enough middle class Americans to switch.

20 minutes ago, MattP said:

He won 304 of electoral college and carried 30 different states in 2016 - ludicrous to suggest he hasn't got the base to win.

It's all about whether the Democrats can get voters turning out on the rust belt for them again or enough middle class Americans to switch.

2016 is a long time ago.
He’s within margin of error in all swing states.
His approval rating is atrocious.

He’s behind on all polling data against any of the democrats.
The Dem turnout can’t possibly be that low again there’s too much at stake.

Hilary was a similarly odious character with a very shady history. Least it can’t be her!

A hell of a lot has to conspire for him to win.

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Easy win for Donald. 

Considering in 2016 his opponent was truly poor and he still only won in a fashion that might not really be called easy, I'm curious as to the line of reasoning behind this. Can the Dem candidate really be as poor as they were last time and/or Trump is able to actually increase his base beyond what it was then?

38 minutes ago, MattP said:

To expand on the points here, Trump has the base he needs in the right places - losing the popular vote by two million votes doesn't matter when you have the people in the right states and the electoral college does the rest. As such the Dems should know that turnout in those areas is critical and they must not make the mistake of overlooking them again.

NB. Black turnout was drastically down in 2016 compared to 2012 - that might be explained by the lack of appeal of both candidates, but I do wonder whether perhaps there might have been some voter suppression in play too, this upcoming election might make things clearer on that.