Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Lionator

US Presidential Election 2020

Decided to try and make this interesting for myself, put £200 @ 7/4 on Biden as soon as I saw the oil price tank tonight. Gonna be another rough week for equities and people are already rushing to bonds and gold. Prediction markets think a recession is more likely than not this year and I still have faith in 'it's the economy, stupid'.

22 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Decided to try and make this interesting for myself, put £200 @ 7/4 on Biden as soon as I saw the oil price tank tonight. Gonna be another rough week for equities and people are already rushing to bonds and gold. Prediction markets think a recession is more likely than not this year and I still have faith in 'it's the economy, stupid'.

Well, considering the economy is the one truly effective string Trump has to his bow when it comes to anything other than his die-hard support, if it does tank then I very much think you're onto something.

Guest MattP
8 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Good price. It's a 50/50 race for me now. I was lumping on Trump if Sanders got the nomination but that's finished.

I'm still kicking myself I didn't take the big prices on Biden when Bloomberg had that debate shocker, easy in hindsight but with South Carolina to come he was always going to be the one they had to push to kill off Bernie.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

Good price. It's a 50/50 race for me now. I was lumping on Trump if Sanders got the nomination but that's finished.

I'm still kicking myself I didn't take the big prices on Biden when Bloomberg had that debate shocker, easy in hindsight but with South Carolina to come he was always going to be the one they had to push to kill off Bernie.

Hindsight is 20/20. Had Buttigeig not dropped out before Super Tuesday, Biden wouldn't be leading the delegate count. 

Guest MattP
25 minutes ago, Detroit Blues said:

Hindsight is 20/20. Had Buttigeig not dropped out before Super Tuesday, Biden wouldn't be leading the delegate count. 

That's sort of my point though - they were always going to rally around someone before Super Tuesday and with South Carolina the primary before that Biden was always going to be that candidate.

I'm annoyed at myself as it had to Bloomberg or Biden and soon as Mini Mike got taken apart in that debate it was never going to be him.

Edited by MattP

51 minutes ago, MattP said:

That's sort of my point though - they were always going to rally around someone before Super Tuesday and with South Carolina the primary before that Biden was always going to be that candidate.

I'm annoyed at myself as it had to Bloomberg or Biden and soon as Mini Mike got taken apart in that debate it was never going to be him.

I'm actually kind of surprised Biden has made it this far TBH. His campaign up until South Carolina was unspectacular to say the least. After South Carolina, a lot of moderate/establishment democrats saw him as the path forward to avoid Trump/Sanders. Had Buttigeig stayed in the race through Super Tuesday, I think Sanders is ahead by a wide margin, and the talking point is not about Biden being the front runner. 

What is happening now is completely counter to the 2016 RNC primary. Trumps' centrist adversaries stayed in too long, and moderate republicans never united behind a single candidate. If they had, they would have crushed trump 60%-40%. Instead, the moderate vote was split, and then people started to vote for Trump because they wanted to support the winner. 

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, Detroit Blues said:

I'm actually kind of surprised Biden has made it this far TBH. His campaign up until South Carolina was unspectacular to say the least. After South Carolina, a lot of moderate/establishment democrats saw him as the path forward to avoid Trump/Sanders. Had Buttigeig stayed in the race through Super Tuesday, I think Sanders is ahead by a wide margin, and the talking point is not about Biden being the front runner. 

What is happening now is completely counter to the 2016 RNC primary. Trumps' centrist adversaries stayed in too long, and moderate republicans never united behind a single candidate. If they had, they would have crushed trump 60%-40%. Instead, the moderate vote was split, and then people started to vote for Trump because they wanted to support the winner. 

I don't think Sanders was ever going to be ahead by a wide margin as he even managed to start losing in states that Buttigieg wasn't really considered a runner.

The Republicans did cock it up, but the volume of votes Trump racked up there never bore a resemblance to Sanders, he has never looked likely of securing a outright majority of delegates even when it looked like he would win.

He just couldn't get the vote out, he doesn't have a wide enough appeal. Just looking at his rallies are a bit pathetic, a load of screaming kids just cheering anything he says no matter how ridiculous - he's actually not as different to Trump as he thinks.

14 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Well, considering the economy is the one truly effective string Trump has to his bow when it comes to anything other than his die-hard support, if it does tank then I very much think you're onto something.

I've no idea how the economy was ever strength tbh. He's spaffed a huge amount of money on a tax cut for predictably very little gain, has hurt US consumers, has hurt US farmers and much of the favourable stuff was inherited. Idk the US well enough but I'm not aware of a perception thats baked in that gives a Republican president the advantage on the economy like there is in the UK. 

6 hours ago, MattP said:

It didn't last for long and 13/10 is about as good as you're getting now. I dunno what Biden would have been a couple of weeks but I imagine it looks insane rn. 

Guest MattP
1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

It didn't last for long and 13/10 is about as good as you're getting now. I dunno what Biden would have been a couple of weeks but I imagine it looks insane rn. 

Saw 20's at Bet365 so he might have been touching 30's on the exchanges.

He was 8/1 just to win the Democratic nomination at one point, outrageous value and extremely frustrating in hindsight.

3 minutes ago, Jattdogg said:

Biden wins Michigan, Missouri and Mississippi.

Sanders is done.

Trump will win lol

I hope you're wrong about that last part, man. Too much at stake.

Perhaps the current viral epidemic may end up having a part to play.

• Like 1

Guest MattP
6 hours ago, Jattdogg said:

Biden wins Michigan, Missouri and Mississippi.

Sanders is done.

Trump will win lol

Genuine 50/50 race now. You can see the upset in Trump's tweets that Sanders hasn't won.

Biden should carry Florida, if he does he doesn't need much more.

Guest MattP
On 09/03/2020 at 15:54, Kopfkino said:

I'm thinking of joining you on this despite a self imposed ban on betting.

Florida turns and Biden pretty much only needs one rust belt and he's got enough. Anything odds against looks value.

Against the backdrop of CV and a possible recession I think Biden goes into this as the favourite by the time we get to November.

1 hour ago, MattP said:

lol

Let them have Sanders and cry when he gets spanked  by Trump.

Generation of cry babies. Dont get their way and throw a fit. Would rather their own party lose and not vote for Biden. Pathetic. 

I get that you are upset, the same could be said for Warren  supporters (or others) but you get on with it. Isnt then goal to beat Trump and at least have someone in office that better aligns with you even if its not as good as Sanders?

No, if i cant have Sanders then i will take the crazier of the 2 left ....lol  Psycho!!!!

Edited by Jattdogg

85236844_2694475470599449_71262077188885

(Bear in mind I haven't fact-checked this infographic, but it seems to be on the level)

Two things:

- are young folks having their votes suppressed, are too apathetic to vote, or both? That 18-29 year olds make up just 15% of the voting bloc is frankly criminal.

- the polarisation is so, so stark.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

85236844_2694475470599449_71262077188885

(Bear in mind I haven't fact-checked this infographic, but it seems to be on the level)

Two things:

- are young folks having their votes suppressed, are too apathetic to vote, or both? That 18-29 year olds make up just 15% of the voting bloc is frankly criminal.

- the polarisation is so, so stark.

Think some highschoolers and college kids are always involved  but then childhood ends and working reality kicks in. They stop giving a hoot as life is all about working and enjoying life premarriage etc. then as they age, have kids these things start to matter again and turnout increases as they become more engaged again.

I care more now than i did when i was 25 thats for sure.

29 minutes ago, MattP said:

I'm thinking of joining you on this despite a self imposed ban on betting.

Florida turns and Biden pretty much only needs one rust belt and he's got enough. Anything odds against looks value.

Against the backdrop of CV and a possible recession I think Biden goes into this as the favourite by the time we get to November.

I hope you're ashamed of yourself, @Kopfkino. What a bad moral influence you are. Next you'll be encouraging me to get a few pints down my neck to celebrate Biden's win..... :whistle:

• Haha 1

Guest MattP

Democrats now the favourites to win the election on Betfair.

Amazing turnaround - Republicans were being backed at 1.60ish just three weeks ago.

10 hours ago, MattP said:

Amazing turnaround - Republicans were being backed at 1.60ish just three weeks ago.

Which begs the question what the real issue with Hillary was. I was led to believe her loss was a rejection of the same old Washington insiders always running the show (and pizza-hut basement paedo rings) but they wouldn't be prepared to vote for a man as politically inspiring as a soggy lump of papier maché (who really likes touching young girls) if that were the case.

18 hours ago, MattP said:

Nobody thought trump would win......im not too confident of the dems winning the election.

18 hours ago, MattP said:

8 hours ago, Carl the Llama said:

Which begs the question what the real issue with Hillary was. I was led to believe her loss was a rejection of the same old Washington insiders always running the show (and pizza-hut basement paedo rings) but they wouldn't be prepared to vote for a man as politically inspiring as a soggy lump of papier maché (who really likes touching young girls) if that were the case.

You could get 1/3 on Hillary pretty much until election night, I think it's too early to say whether or not Biden will have the same problems as Hillary.