Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Sir Shep

Flooding

Is there already a topic about this? , couldn’t see one but feel free to merge or whatever if so. 

Anyway i notice Sileby is under water again and even the 512 in Shepshed has been shut off due to flood water, I usually drive through Hathern to get to work but I’ll imagine the A6 will be flooded again and there’s no way I’m driving my Juke through flood water! Anyone else having issues, sadly I think this is how it’ll be from now on. 

• Haha 1

Yep Sileby resident here, Brook Street burst its banks again like it did last November, there are floods in more places than usual today, around Derry's going into Cossington it is across the road, through Cossington it is hit and miss, then when you get to the Syston Road all the water from the fields is pouring down the road. Cossington Mill it is about a foot deep on the road, passable in a 4x4. 

Not been down Mountsorrel lane today but I'd guess Sileby cricket club is totally surrounded again, the land is saturated before last night so now all that water needs to go somewhere, quite a few mopping out their homes too.

It is time the local councils did something effectively instead of saying the're going to, Barrow town Fc used to flood along the road there 20 odd years ago, they sorted that out so sort out the roads out of Sileby. Even flooded under A46 bridge on Ratcliffe Road today, somewhere I have never seen it before.

Photo someone put on social media, looks like they live in Brook Street.

Brook Street.JPG

Edited by promised land

2 hours ago, promised land said:

Yep Sileby resident here, Brook Street burst its banks again like it did last November, there are floods in more places than usual today, around Derry's going into Cossington it is across the road, through Cossington it is hit and miss, then when you get to the Syston Road all the water from the fields is pouring down the road. Cossington Mill it is about a foot deep on the road, passable in a 4x4. 

Not been down Mountsorrel lane today but I'd guess Sileby cricket club is totally surrounded again, the land is saturated before last night so now all that water needs to go somewhere, quite a few mopping out their homes too.

It is time the local councils did something effectively instead of saying the're going to, Barrow town Fc used to flood along the road there 20 odd years ago, they sorted that out so sort out the roads out of Sileby. Even flooded under A46 bridge on Ratcliffe Road today, somewhere I have never seen it before.

Brook Street.JPG

My mum works at the doctors surgery in the picture. Think she's swimming to work tomorrow 

10 minutes ago, isaidno said:

My mum works at the doctors surgery in the picture. Think she's swimming to work tomorrow 

It has receded now to just below the arch’s on the bridge. Twice in 6 months the roads been like that now.

They named it barrow upon soar, we should be called Sileby in the soar.

2 hours ago, promised land said:

Brook Street.JPG

Clean cars, some people are never happy.

• Haha 1

16 minutes ago, Barrowblue said:

Looks like the caravans on proctors park are about to become floating homes again. 

Does it ever dry out near the by pass? :)

Narrow boat constantly moored up Quorn side of that footbridge always has a Range Rover next to it so they live on it, hope they’ve got waders on. Range Rover might be in the soar now.

I'm a bit of a sad c*nt but also an ecologist so I'm allowed...here's the Wigston rainfall since November.

November total 99.5mm

image.png.654e4f99d3b3fa6b622b38d51b0bc4b0.png

December total 80mm

image.png.cb5290df1bf50d482eea0c33ef0e3083.png

January total 47.75mm

image.png.4f849e861eff5c6f61ac52c4238176bc.png

February total as of 07:30am this morning: 58mm

image.png.3ac7fe5432d565a46f93e1470433be55.png

Wigston is on average pretty dry compared to many other areas in the count, but given that September and October were as wet as November...there are some really worrying signs for the next couple of months. Late Autumn and Early Winter in the UK is typical rainy season but it started earlier this year and has persisted. Usually the water table is at it's peak in April-May, as it take time for the autumn/winter rainfall to percolate into the underground flow system. Trouble is our Water table was at it's highest level already by October (hence flooding) and we've been at saturation point since. If we continue with rain into Spring on top of all the water still building up underground from over the last few months we could have REALLY bad flooding in Spring which could be detrimental to wildlife, agriculture etc. Saturated ground for such a length of time, even without visible flooding really isn't a good thing.

Edited by SecretPro
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, SecretPro said:

I'm a bit of a sad c*nt but also an ecologist so I'm allowed...here's the Wigston rainfall since November.

November total 99.5mm

December total 80mm

January total 47.75mm

Wigston is on average pretty dry compared to many other areas in the count, but given that September and October were as wet as November...there are some really worrying signs for the next couple of months. Late Autumn and Early Winter in the UK is typical rainy season but it started earlier this year and has persisted. Usually the water table is at it's peak in April-May, as it take time for the autumn/winter rainfall to percolate into the underground flow system. Trouble is our Water table was at it's highest level already by October (hence flooding) and we've been at saturation point since. If we continue with rain into Spring on top of all the water still building up underground from over the last few months we could have REALLY bad flooding in Spring which could be detrimental to wildlife, agriculture etc. Saturated ground for such a length of time, even without visible flooding really isn't a good thing.

I'm wondering how the houses they built between Wigston and Kilby Bridge are doing, because those fields always used to flood, but they built houses on them anyway.

I know that earlier in the year there was flooding on the road to Wistow (out from Newton Lane), which there had never been before, until they built those houses.

12 hours ago, SecretPro said:

November total 99.5mm

December total 80mm

January total 47.75mm

Do you have your own weather station?

I've got a basic Netatmo temperature module and seperate rain guage

Pretty good peice of kit for £100 or so, connect to you wifi so you can view all the station data and history

5 minutes ago, stripeyfox said:

Do you have your own weather station?

I've got a basic Netatmo temperature module and seperate rain guage

Pretty good peice of kit for £100 or so, connect to you wifi so you can view all the station data and history

Yeah similar kit here, I've got a really accurate manual rain gauge alongside it as well that cost £100 or so (I know it seems a lot for a bit of plastic) but I like to take eye measurements, especially after snow etc as I suspect my electronic reader isn't always as accurate as it should be!

Edited by SecretPro

2 minutes ago, SecretPro said:

Yeah similar kit here, I've got a really accurate manual rain gauge alongside it as well that cost £100 or so (I know it seems a lot for a bit of plastic) but I like to take eye measurements, especially after snow etc as I suspect my electronic reader isn't always as accurate as it should be!

Image result for netatmo rain gauge

This is mine - it may not be accurate to the exact mm (you have to calibrate it by tipping a known quantity of water in) , but I don't think it's far off.

Was thinking of getting the wind gauge but the reviews aren't great.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stripeyfox said:

Image result for netatmo rain gauge

This is mine - it may not be accurate to the exact mm (you have to calibrate it by tipping a known quantity of water in) , but I don't think it's far off.

Was thinking of getting the wind gauge but the reviews aren't great.

They should be pretty accurate - there will always be variables with things like mist/fog and snow but for my needs its good enough!

16 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I'm wondering how the houses they built between Wigston and Kilby Bridge are doing, because those fields always used to flood, but they built houses on them anyway.

I know that earlier in the year there was flooding on the road to Wistow (out from Newton Lane), which there had never been before, until they built those houses.

Surprisingly the Cookes Lane development seems to be OK but the new builds on Newton Lane have been flooded 3 times so far. It's weird because driving up to the roundabout it looks like it's on elevated ground, but some of the houses off the roundabout have been build in a depression. Typical of councils and developers - they love building on flood plains.

Edited by SecretPro