Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Best city for a night out in UK or Ireland

Best City for a night out in the UK and Ireland?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Which city provides the best night out in UK or Ireland?

• London
    • Dublin
    • Cardiff
    • Edinburgh
    • Newcastle
    • Manchester
    • Bristol
    • Nottingham
    • Leeds
    • Sheffield
    • Birmingham
    • Glasgow
    • Liverpool
    • Other - please state

On 17/11/2022 at 08:14, Unabomber said:

Off to Nottingham before Christmas with my brother and old man. Never actually been to many pubs there but heard it’s good. Does anyone have any recommendations please for pubs and places to eat?

Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem is great for a Greene King. Built into the castle walls so the interior is fascinating.

4 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Went up to Newcastle for the rugby league world cup opening game. Had never been there before, what an absolutely brilliant city. Loved every minute of it. Annoyed it took me until I was 40 to discover it!

Was working that day. Don’t know anything about rugby league, but looked a great event. Where did you head before / after?

5 minutes ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

Was working that day. Don’t know anything about rugby league, but looked a great event. Where did you head before / after?

Went to the Strawberry first (loved it in there). There was a beer festival in the Crown Posada which was good fun. Spent some time in The Empress and Filthys (I think) lost track after that lol

Loved it though 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Went to the Strawberry first (loved it in there). There was a beer festival in the Crown Posada which was good fun. Spent some time in The Empress and Filthys (I think) lost track after that lol

Loved it though 

The Strawberry has been refurbished and is definitely worth a see if you’re up here. I see that you managed to venture into the Bigg market for Filthys - hope that you didn’t visit any of the takeaways after. It is a mistake that I have made many times lol

It’s a great city with so many places to drink. Quayside is also a really nice part of the city (which you probably experienced by visiting Crown Posada). That hill back into the city is a nightmare after a few pints though.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

It’s a bit of a shame that Greene King own it tbh.

The selection is varied and the interior is inherently excellent so I don’t think it suffers from being a Greene King tbh.

Is it The Bell which claims to be similarly old? That definitely is worse for being a GK pub.

Edited by Stadt

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

The selection is varied and the interior is inherently excellent so I don’t think it suffers from being a Greene King tbh.

Is it The Bell which claims to be similarly old? That is worse for being a GK pub.

I do agree with the fact that they have maintained its history well. I actually worked there over the summer when I was home from university, and people claim it is a 'tourist trap' but it has a very loyal customer-base, and in all fairness, they do work hard to maintain the ales and the interior etc.

The Bell also has a claim to be the oldest pub (I believe). Never actually been in but it always strikes me as a bit bland and a very generic Greene King pub.

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Stadt said:

Is it The Bell which claims to be similarly old? That definitely is worse for being a GK pub.

Ye olde Salutation also has a claim. It's on the other side of Maid Marian way to the olde Trip, so easy to compare the two on a night out.

11 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

The Strawberry has been refurbished and is definitely worth a see if you’re up here. I see that you managed to venture into the Bigg market for Filthys - hope that you didn’t visit any of the takeaways after. It is a mistake that I have made many times lol

It’s a great city with so many places to drink. Quayside is also a really nice part of the city (which you probably experienced by visiting Crown Posada). That hill back into the city is a nightmare after a few pints though.

Went to Quayside after we lost there at Easter, **** me, it was as if the Toon had won something. 

There’s a decent place on the Sage side of the Tyne Bridge. It’s also out of the way (but near plenty of other pubs) - Free Trade Inn is excellent 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

Went to Quayside after we lost there at Easter, **** me, it was as if the Toon had won something. 

There’s a decent place on the Sage side of the Tyne Bridge. It’s also out of the way (but near plenty of other pubs) - Free Trade Inn is excellent 

Yeah, their fans have a tendency to be unbearable - especially since the takeover.

Ive rarely ventured into the Quayside for drinking purposes, bit pricey for us students. 

All this chat is getting me excited for Newcastle away lol

• 11 months later...
Guest BlueBrett

Mental that eight and a half percent of people have voted for Leeds lol The city centre is about the size of Loughborough and there is basically one street with a few shit "trendy" bars. Also it's obviously full of people from Leeds. They're so backwards up there the last time I went they were still trying to enforce a shirt and shoes dress code some places like its 1999.

If you genuinely think Leeds is a great night out I'd suggest you really ought to broaden your horizons. 

40 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

Mental that eight and a half percent of people have voted for Leeds lol The city centre is about the size of Loughborough and there is basically one street with a few shit "trendy" bars. Also it's obviously full of people from Leeds. They're so backwards up there the last time I went they were still trying to enforce a shirt and shoes dress code some places like its 1999.

If you genuinely think Leeds is a great night out I'd suggest you really ought to broaden your horizons. 

Apart from the one street with a few trendy bars that you've mentioned, there are some great pubs in Leeds, both olde worlde & modern.

Quite a few hidden away from the main thoroughfares that are definitely worth seeking out.

If you explore the City Leeds is a fine night out.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

I think for pubs Leeds is great but agree on the bar situation. Out of interest where would you suggest in this country?

Guest BlueBrett
Just now, westernpark said:

I think for pubs Leeds is great but agree on the bar situation. Out of interest where would you suggest in this country?

People wont want to hear this but London is obviously the best. You can pick your poison from the widest range of options and I personally have quite an eclectic taste for exotic females and they have practically every colour of the rainbow down there.

3 minutes ago, BlueBrett said:

People wont want to hear this but London is obviously the best. You can pick your poison from the widest range of options and I personally have quite an eclectic taste for exotic females and they have practically every colour of the rainbow down there.

You are a true hero in the name of diversity.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, westernpark said:

After you get past about the age of 25 do you really want to be out past booting out time anyway? Nothing good ever happens after midnight. Mid-afternoon start and in bed for 11 with a bite to eat on the way home, Leeds’ bread and butter and I’ve done it to death over the years. I absolutely love boozing in and around Leeds and I’m not ashamed to say it, venture out to Saltaire, Kirkstall, Horsforth, Crossgates, Guiseley, Garforth, Apperley Bridge, Chapel A, Headingley, **** sake even Bradford, amazing pubs and bars all over the area. It’s my home so I’m obviously biased but it’s got everything you could want within a 12 mile radius. 

Edit: but don’t get me started on the mass transit system we keep getting promised every 5 years. Bring in a tram and it makes all of those places 10x more accessible. The lack of it holds the region back in my opinion, I’ll say that. 

Edited by Manini
  • Like 3

2 minutes ago, Manini said:

After you get past about the age of 25 do you really want to be out past booting out time anyway? Nothing good ever happens after midnight. Mid-afternoon start and in bed for 11 with a bite to eat on the way home, Leeds’ bread and butter and I’ve done it to death over the years. I absolutely love boozing in and around Leeds and I’m not ashamed to say it, venture out to Saltaire, Kirkstall, Horsforth, Crossgates, Guiseley, Garforth, Apperley Bridge, Chapel A, Headingley, **** sake even Bradford, amazing pubs and bars all over the area. It’s my home so I’m obviously biased but it’s got everything you could want within a 12 mile radius. 

Yes that’s literally me except when I’m with the other half and they fancy going to a bar. Otherwise it’s pubs all the way. I love Horsforth but that’s because of family links to there, nonetheless can’t believe how much it’s gentrified over the last 15 years!

49 minutes ago, westernpark said:

Yes that’s literally me except when I’m with the other half and they fancy going to a bar. Otherwise it’s pubs all the way. I love Horsforth but that’s because of family links to there, nonetheless can’t believe how much it’s gentrified over the last 15 years!

Nice area Horsforth these days, absolutely massive really when you consider where it technically starts and ends, especially if you consider Cookridge in that too. Some absolutely exceptional boozers as well. 

• Like 1