Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Best city for a night out in UK or Ireland

Best City for a night out in the UK and Ireland?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Which city provides the best night out in UK or Ireland?

• London
    • Dublin
    • Cardiff
    • Edinburgh
    • Newcastle
    • Manchester
    • Bristol
    • Nottingham
    • Leeds
    • Sheffield
    • Birmingham
    • Glasgow
    • Liverpool
    • Other - please state

On 24/09/2021 at 16:48, Fox92 said:

Me and my mates are doing London for the first time in November (international break weekend). Never been for a night out before so no idea where to even head given how big the place is.

Most people head central Covent Garden/Soho.

May be worth exploring options like Brixton, Islington or Shoreditch. Camden could also be an option, but it's a bit tourist-trap exploitation centre. Maybe start in Camden and then taxi to another spot if it's not working.

20 minutes ago, SkidsFox said:

Most people head central Covent Garden/Soho.

May be worth exploring options like Brixton, Islington or Shoreditch. Camden could also be an option, but it's a bit tourist-trap exploitation centre. Maybe start in Camden and then taxi to another spot if it's not working.

Cheers man but I posted that in September last year lol 

• Haha 2

You have to know where you’re going in London…. Really enjoyed Brixton when I went to the academy for the LCD gig…. The covered marker area is great…

Manchester and Sheff I know well…. Sheff is #1 for my style of boozers…. Kelham island and the Taps at the train station are epic…. Walk out and up in to the districts and you’ll find some gems 

Best town?  Has to be Bristol….   Has a deep coolness to it…. Lovely to walk around especially up in the Clifton area…. Has the biggest alternative bohemian charm too

Nod and a wink to Norwich too…

Edited by Wolfox

Think it all depends what you're looking to get out of the session.

Best place I ever went out for the vibe, music, and dancing was Leeds late 90s early 00s. Absolutely awesome l, nothing I've experienced has ever come close, though I have no idea what it's like these days. 

If you're on a day session, surprisingly Leicester and Nottingham are both pretty decent if you find the right place's, although that can be said for most cities I guess. 

If you're single and up for a good time with the ladies then Cardiff is a good night out. 

The most disappointing night I've had out was on a stag do in Brighton. Split into smaller groups of lads but got sussed at the very first bar by our accents at the bottom of the hill where most of the bars are located. The bouncers then proceeded to radio through to every other bar located on the same strip and we were refused entry to all of them even though despite there being quite a few of us not one person on the stag do was the type interested in trouble. Ended up in some right dive full of old blokes. Eventually headed down to the beachfront to enter a few of the clubs down there only to be turned away as apparently they all closed there doors at midnight.

Nottingham is a crap place to go clubbing too. Everytime I've been out there all the clubs seem to shut really early and you end up wandering the streets in desperate hope if finding that one place that might let you in. 

Been out in London about 4 or 5 times. It's OK, but can't say it's amazing. Personally find you get stuck in one place as you need to get in early to the decent places if you want to get in at all so it gets a bit boring after a few hours. 

5 hours ago, ian__marshall said:

The most disappointing night I've had out was on a stag do in Brighton. Split into smaller groups of lads but got sussed at the very first bar by our accents at the bottom of the hill where most of the bars are located. The bouncers then proceeded to radio through to every other bar located on the same strip and we were refused entry to all of them even though despite there being quite a few of us not one person on the stag do was the type interested in trouble. Ended up in some right dive full of old blokes. Eventually headed down to the beachfront to enter a few of the clubs down there only to be turned away as apparently they all closed there doors at midnight.

I also thought Brighton was a bit wank. But I was on a stag going in gaffs I'd normally swerve. Found it pricier than London.  

-------------

As a cask boy who likes that and / or spit and sawdust pubs...

Nottingham is fantastic for city size versus number of great pubs. It absolutely smashes Leicester out the park for choice and there are 5/6 little pockets with groups of great pubs in. Sneinton is getting more and more gentrified and there are some glorious boozers there.

Sheffield really is an absolute gem and not somewhere I'd ever properly looked round before the last year and a half, used to be a go for a gig and get the rattler home job but Kelham Island is genuinely paradise for me, I love it. 

Leeds is phenomenal but I'm biased. Need to have proper looks round Manchester and Liverpool.

A bit of a dark horse for great boozers and good beer is Harrogate, the town is stunning if a bit Range Rover Mum™ but you could have a brilliant day or so in some great gaffs if you do your research.

Liked the vibe of Oxford but not the boozers, and I thought Cambridge was dogshit. 

18 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

I also thought Brighton was a bit wank. But I was on a stag going in gaffs I'd normally swerve. Found it pricier than London.  

-------------

Nottingham is fantastic for city size versus number of great pubs. It absolutely smashes Leicester out the park for choice and there are 5/6 little pockets with groups of great pubs in. Sneinton is getting more and more gentrified and there are some glorious boozers there.

Sheffield really is an absolute gem and not somewhere I'd ever properly looked round before the last year and a half, used to be a go for a gig and get the rattler home job but Kelham Island is genuinely paradise for me, I love it. 

Leeds is phenomenal but I'm biased. Need to have proper looks round Manchester and Liverpool.

A bit of a dark horse for great boozers and good beer is Harrogate, the town is stunning if a bit Range Rover Mum™ but you could have a brilliant day or so in some great gaffs if you do your research.

Liked the vibe of Oxford but not the boozers, and I thought Cambridge was dogshit. 

Where did you go around Cambridge? Loads of top boozers if you head east from the city centre and all the "Mummy's got the chalet in Chamonix in the divorce/Boris is still a legend in my eyes" chat (if it's term time).

The locals are dead sound too. Think it's just a relief to them to not have the above types invading them in golf gear and demanding 20 Guinness.

Can confirm Brighton is massively overrated. I'm not massively a "night out" type but I had family nearby and went down to see the place with a mate.

Basically an expensive but crap London overspill by the sea. It doesn't even have a proper beach - just millions of rocks and some water.

Leeds and Bristol would be my top 2. 

2 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

Hi guys this isn’t related to UK but prob the best thread to ask. Where is good for a European stag do? We don’t want anything mental just a good city for pubs and bars. Thinking either Amsterdam or Munich. 

Düsseldorf is great. Hamburg too but that is mental.

@BenTheFox is currently in Munich. Good for a stag do you reckon?

Edited by SemperEadem

23 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

-------------

Norwich is a good city for cask ale pubs and I think it's one of the more attractive urban areas in England. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Where did you go around Cambridge? Loads of top boozers if you head east from the city centre and all the "Mummy's got the chalet in Chamonix in the divorce/Boris is still a legend in my eyes" chat (if it's term time).

The locals are dead sound too. Think it's just a relief to them to not have the above types invading them in golf gear and demanding 20 Guinness.

Fairly central in this case mate, think there are better pubs outside of it but I found Cambridge city centre beautiful but crap for a pint.

Went the day before Journo @Joe. wedding with Tilley off here and it culminated in us trying to find us away at man city, he had the match pint app on his phone and it took us to a leisure centre, asking Sandra behind the desk with chlorine in our nostrils if they'd be showing the match was a low point

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Fairly central in this case mate, think there are better pubs outside of it but I found Cambridge city centre beautiful but crap for a pint.

Went the day before Journo @Joe. wedding with Tilley off here and it culminated in us trying to find us away at man city, he had the match pint app on his phone and it took us to a leisure centre, asking Sandra behind the desk with chlorine in our nostrils if they'd be showing the match was a low point

Fair one. If you make it back go the other side of Parker's Piece and there are a minimum seven really decent boozers on the Petersfield estate.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Hi guys this isn’t related to UK but prob the best thread to ask. Where is good for a European stag do? We don’t want anything mental just a good city for pubs and bars. Thinking either Amsterdam or Munich. 

Get yourself over to Porto. Cheap as chips, decent lagers, great bars & great food.

58 minutes ago, Unabomber said:

There’s only 5 of us

Plenty of options then - depends what you really want. If you want to be cheap when there go Central/Europe but if you want good quality beer and food, pick a city but more refined. 

To make it easy for yourself, think of what airport you want leave from and then take it from there. That will restrict your destinations and help you zone in. 

13 hours ago, Unabomber said:

Lille would be a great shout. Inadvertently ended up on a French bloke's Stag while we were there in Euro 2016.

The Solferino bar district is very good and would be right up your alley in terms of beer selection too I reckon.

Edited by Voll Blau

Showing my age now but the 90s were tremendous. Nottingham (Venus) was overtaken over by Manchester (Hac).  Then followed Liverpool (051 and Cream). Leeds was always good (Basics and Orbit) and for something leftfield there was Mirfield/Huddersfield (Hard Times). 

Clubing hat off and Manchester was always the place to go for variety. Liverpool has probably caught up with it now, lots to see and do Docks, Williamson Square, Baltic Quarter, Uni area all seem to be thriving.

My siblings were both at Newcastle Uni and the big market was fun, but a bit limited, don't know if that's still the case.

Advancing in years now and more than happy to potter around in York. Loads of great bars and pubs.

So I guess it's all age dependent.

9 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Lille would be a great shout. Inadvertently ended up on a Fremch Blake's Stag while we were there in Eiro 2016.

The Solferino bar district is very good and would be right up your alley in terms of beer selection too I reckon.

Are you still hungover ? :)

• Haha 1