Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.

Best city for a night out in UK or Ireland

Best City for a night out in the UK and Ireland?  

168 members have voted

1. 1. Which city provides the best night out in UK or Ireland?

• London
    • Dublin
    • Cardiff
    • Edinburgh
    • Newcastle
    • Manchester
    • Bristol
    • Nottingham
    • Leeds
    • Sheffield
    • Birmingham
    • Glasgow
    • Liverpool
    • Other - please state

22 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Was out in Bristol last night. King Street is surely one of the best streets for boozing in the country?

Only managed to do four of the pubs (plus a couple between our hotel and there) but will try and complete the set tonight.

Stayed on King Street for my stag a few years ago and it is great. Aside from King Street we spent a good bit of time in The Crown which was a friendly rock bar.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

In recent years the London days I've enjoyed the most is a crawl along various Thameside pubs from Limehouse to Tower Hill, and also Camden Town.

Make it a day sesh though. Whole city it shite after about 10 at night.

Cheers. I wanted to go Bristol but that idea got shot down!

• Like 1

On 24/09/2021 at 07:46, Voll Blau said:

Was out in Bristol last night. King Street is surely one of the best streets for boozing in the country?

Only managed to do four of the pubs (plus a couple between our hotel and there) but will try and complete the set tonight.

I’m in Bristol at the minute, we did a boat trip up and down the river yesterday afternoon with a bar, which work paid for. One of the best ways to see the city and the weather was glorious. 

I love it here, right up there for me. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Manini said:

I’m in Bristol at the minute, we did a boat trip up and down the river yesterday afternoon with a bar, which work paid for. One of the best ways to see the city and the weather was glorious. 

I love it here, right up there for me. 

Yeah, it's a good old gaff. Did a walking tour yesterday which was great.

I've said it on another thread before but I'm so jealous of cities that use water well, and I'm not sure there's a better example of it than Bristol.

2 hours ago, Voll Blau said:

Yeah, it's a good old gaff. Did a walking tour yesterday which was great.

I've said it on another thread before but I'm so jealous of cities that use water well, and I'm not sure there's a better example of it than Bristol.

You should go to Bruges

• Like 1

I'm far too old for clubbing these days. But I do miss when i was younger and we used to go to Dublin and Cork a lot and stay out late at pubs.

We've also been to Belfast a few times in recent years and were actually annoyed how much we avoided it for years because we were still a little wary of going after the troubles, because the people are so welcoming and it's such a beautiful part of the British Isles.

In terms of hospitable and welcoming people who have such a great atmosphere in their pubs, there's few places that we've found that can match Ireland (both Northern and the Republic) in that regards.

• Like 2

• 7 months later...

Had a top time in the 'Town' side of Cambridge at the weekend, some absolutely belting estate pubs full of good beer and friendly locals. The centre was alright too but spoilt by coked-up Hooray types who reckon they're hard in spite of their haircuts and accents indicating everything to the contrary. To be expected, I guess...

Edited by Voll Blau

On 25/09/2021 at 12:31, Sampson said:

I'm far too old for clubbing these days. But I do miss when i was younger and we used to go to Dublin and Cork a lot and stay out late at pubs.

We've also been to Belfast a few times in recent years and were actually annoyed how much we avoided it for years because we were still a little wary of going after the troubles, because the people are so welcoming and it's such a beautiful part of the British Isles.

In terms of hospitable and welcoming people who have such a great atmosphere in their pubs, there's few places that we've found that can match Ireland (both Northern and the Republic) in that regards.

Belfast beats Dublin in that regard I rekcon. Amazing place and great food culture too.

Its also cheap and accessible, It would be a part of the UK I would consider moving to.

I’m probably really biased but I think Newcastle is really good because the clubs are in such close proximity. Also, pubs wise you are spoilt for choice and if you venture into Jesmond it’s class - Osborne Road is amazing.

I really enjoyed Sheffield in the summer, cheap and cheerful vibe but a real good laugh. Went to three clubs in three nights and enjoyed them all. Proper fun.

It might be because it’s where my home address is but always found Nottingham a bit overhyped. I don’t think there are many clubs that you would class as really good, maybe it’s because I’ve been so many times but I still hold that opinion.

Think Nottingham tries to attach itself with the big Northern cities a bit too much. Bar wise though, it is really good, a great place to a do a bar crawl.

I really want to do Manchester / Liverpool. Doing Manchester on the Friday and getting the train to Liverpool and doing there on the Saturday is the dream. 

Edited by Matt_Lcfc

1 minute ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

I’m probably really biased but I think Newcastle is really good because the clubs are in such close proximity. Also, pubs wise you are spoilt for choice and if you venture into Jesmond it’s class - Osborne Road is amazing.

I really enjoyed Sheffield in the summer, cheap and cheerful vibe but a real good laugh. Went to three clubs in three nights and enjoyed them all. Proper fun.

It might be because it’s where my home address is but always found Nottingham a bit overhyped. I don’t think there are many clubs that you would class as really good, maybe it’s because I’ve been so many times but I still hold that opinion.

Think Nottingham tries to attach itself with the big Northern cities a bit too much. Bar wise though, it is really good, a good place to a do a bar crawl.

I really want to do Manchester / Liverpool. Doing Manchester on the Friday and getting the train to Liverpool and doing there on the Saturday is the dream. 

My clubbing ship sailed years ago but for two close northern cities in terms of geograhpy and background, they are polar opposites in terms of going out experience.

If there are any more than two guys in a group in Manchester you arent getting into the pub or clubs. Manchester also takes itself a bit seriously and some clubs are still enjoyable if you are in that sort of mood.

Liverpool is far more relaxed. You could get in anywhere in Liverpool with a group of 30 if you wanted as long as you arent being a dick.

Like both, prefer Liverpool but worth trying out both.

32 minutes ago, Nalis said:

My clubbing ship sailed years ago but for two close northern cities in terms of geograhpy and background, they are polar opposites in terms of going out experience.

If there are any more than two guys in a group in Manchester you arent getting into the pub or clubs. Manchester also takes itself a bit seriously and some clubs are still enjoyable if you are in that sort of mood.

Liverpool is far more relaxed. You could get in anywhere in Liverpool with a group of 30 if you wanted as long as you arent being a dick.

Like both, prefer Liverpool but worth trying out both.

To be fair, I’ve heard that bouncers can be funny if you’re ID doesn’t have a Manchester postcode on. I’d like to think that if you were sound then you’d get into most clubs, but who knows?

I’d probably rather do Liverpool but still want to try both tbh.

2 hours ago, Matt_Lcfc said:

To be fair, I’ve heard that bouncers can be funny if you’re ID doesn’t have a Manchester postcode on. I’d like to think that if you were sound then you’d get into most clubs, but who knows?

I’d probably rather do Liverpool but still want to try both tbh.

Grown up in Manchester and it's mostly trainers you'll be turned away for or certain brands. This is the same for Liverpool depending where you go, but this is only for certain places so don't be put off at all.

A lot of places are relaxed and sound about groups of lads and casual clothes (if there's loads of you never hurts to split into smaller groups).

Some of the higher end gaffs in Manchester won't let lads in unless they're with girls or bought an expensive table, but there are so many places that will and are great.

Edited by ren

• 3 months later...
On 26/08/2022 at 10:52, SemperEadem said:

Early bar/after work drinks yesterday in Manchester was class. Pedestrianising the NQ has worked so well for that area, it was heaving.

Went in Mulligans In Manchester today. Whilst it’s a horrible United stronghold, it’s a fantastic pub.