Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Who do you want Summer 2020

Crystal Palace should've cashed in on Zaha last summer. They're going down within three years for sure in my opinion. Look through their squad - oldest in the league by a mile, very few players under 29 who actually feature (Jeff and Zaha the youngest at about 27) and even their manager is a relic as well. That's going to take too big an overhaul for them to stop a relegation in my opinion.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Crystal Palace should've cashed in on Zaha last summer. They're going down within three years for sure in my opinion. Look through their squad - oldest in the league by a mile, very few players under 29 who actually feature (Jeff and Zaha the youngest at about 27) and even their manager is a relic as well. That's going to take too big an overhaul for them to stop a relegation in my opinion.

problem is if they sold him for 70-80million last year, they would pretty much get relegated. And then the club lose that amount just for being in the premier league. They need him to stay but for him he needs a move to a better side. I would definitely take him here. Coming into his peak as a player would help Barnes, Vardy in a front 3. With Brendan as his coach, could be a huge signing and statement of intent to our team. 

15 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I hope you're right. He'd make us a scary prospect.

I wouldn't want him for the price we'd have to pay. Let's say even at £40m which is half what they wanted last summer, at his age and the fact his goals and assists stats are nothing special would represent poor investment. I could compile a list of better prospects for the money that fit the profile we as a club tend to go for.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Ric Flair said:

I wouldn't want him for the price we'd have to pay. Let's say even at £40m which is half what they wanted last summer, at his age and the fact his goals and assists stats are nothing special would represent poor investment. I could compile a list of better prospects for the money that fit the profile we as a club tend to go for.

I suspect it is difficult to have good stats playing as a attacking threat for Crystal Palace, mind you.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

I suspect it is difficult to have good stats playing as a attacking threat for Crystal Palace, mind you.

Possibly, but they have built their whole team around him and there's many many cases of players being big fish in small ponds and excelling even in teams that don't create or score much. I'd be nervous about the fee we'd have to pay for someone of his age and whom has flopped before.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Possibly, but they have built their whole team around him and there's many many cases of players being big fish in small ponds and excelling even in teams that don't create or score much. I'd be nervous about the fee we'd have to pay for someone of his age and whom has flopped before.

You make a good case, for sure.

14 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

You make a good case, for sure.

Had we not pumped £30m on Ayoze Perez then shelling out £45-50m for Zaha might not be unpalatable but we really need to be very select on who we invest significant fees on in the next year or so.

48 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Had we not pumped £30m on Ayoze Perez then shelling out £45-50m for Zaha might not be unpalatable but we really need to be very select on who we invest significant fees on in the next year or so.

Zaha is more of a goals scorer than a creative player is he not? something we desperately need, you have to factor in how defensively set up Palace are when you look at his figures

1 hour ago, Jimmy said:

Zaha is more of a goals scorer than a creative player is he not? something we desperately need, you have to factor in how defensively set up Palace are when you look at his figures

Even if he is more of a goalscorer than a creator, his best season he's ever had is 10 PL goals in a season. Perez got 13 from right wing last season in an equally vulgar Newcastle side when it came to scoring goals. Zaha used to be very creative, I think 1 season he got 11 assists but he's become more of a central striker playing higher up the pitch and so the assists have dried up but so have the goals. I find there's too many question marks over him for his age and likely price. He's by no means old, he should be in his peak yet his stats suggest he's stagnated at Palace this last season (understandable, they are crap and he badly wants a move) but at 28 to pay £50+m is a huge gamble. There's going to be no return on investment and you need to make damn sure they produce the goods and i'm not convinced he would. Very much like Sigurdsson has been for Everton. A huge fee at a similar age for a player that has proven he is only top class in certain circumstances at certain clubs and that's not a risk we'd take. We tend to only pay significant money for younger players anyway, we learnt the hard way on Slimani and Silva.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Say we have £40-50 million to spend this summer, and Chilwell goes for £70 million (low ball because my transfer budget there might be a bit high with current situation) then that’s £110-120 million. 

If Zaha was available for £45 million then, and we got Tagliafico or another left back for a similar fee we paid for Ricardo, then surely it’d be a deal worth pursuing? Even if it is a large amount of money for a club like us to spend on a 27 year old. 

I don't think we will have £40-50m to spend without selling.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

Dan James is bang average, we can do better, that move came way too soon for him and it's stifled him somewhat - totally predictable really.

...I have not seen much of him, but from what I have seen he looks the business!!!!

It seems that we had missed a trick picking him up and the performances that I have seen of him for United, he looked almost unplayable. He must have fallen off a cliff in respect of performances for you to describe him as such.

27 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

PVA would get caught out defensively in our style of play, too open for him. I’d have him as back up to whoever starts our season at left back, but doubt he’ll leave first team football there to sit on our bench. Zaha is the only one I’d have, Ayew is a good player too but very similar to Pérez so no point. 

Just realised he’s 29 as well! So perhaps just zaha then 😀

I saw a report today (admittedly it was the star) that Raul Jimenez would be available for less than 20m. I'm not convinced we need a striker but if we were to go for one, he would be a decent option, even at 29. 

6 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I saw a report today (admittedly it was the star) that Raul Jimenez would be available for less than 20m. I'm not convinced we need a striker but if we were to go for one, he would be a decent option, even at 29. 

I am convinced we need a striker. Not convinced with nacho. Jimenez would be perfect for us. Never gonna happen. If he did leave wolves they’d want a lot more than 20m for him. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

I am convinced we need a striker. Not convinced with nacho. Jimenez would be perfect for us. Never gonna happen. If he did leave wolves they’d want a lot more than 20m for him. 

To be honest, I'm leaning towards needing one too. Nacho DID improve but I still wouldnt feel comfortable with an injury to Vardy. 

• Like 1

Just now, pmcla26 said:

Didn’t realise he was that old, seems to have been about forever but still plays like he’s 25

He’s just probably one of those players who can play at a high level going into their 40s - but probs retired whilst on top! Happened with Robben when we were linked with him