Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Who do you want Summer 2020

19 hours ago, Unique FC said:

problem is if they sold him for 70-80million last year, they would pretty much get relegated. And then the club lose that amount just for being in the premier league. They need him to stay but for him he needs a move to a better side. I would definitely take him here. Coming into his peak as a player would help Barnes, Vardy in a front 3. With Brendan as his coach, could be a huge signing and statement of intent to our team. 

I honestly don't think they would. He is obviously their danger man but his numbers are actually really ordinary and I wonder if they overhype him just because he stands out somewhat in a generally very dull side.

Either way this method isn't going to work much longer I don't think.

19 hours ago, HighPeakFox said:

I'd like to see a player as able as Zaha play for Leicester, but I rather doubt he'd move to us.

I think he'd take us at this point. I'm not sure who he's going to get that's any better - he couldn't turn down a Champions League Leicester at this stage I don't think.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...I have not seen much of him, but from what I have seen he looks the business!!!!

It seems that we had missed a trick picking him up and the performances that I have seen of him for United, he looked almost unplayable. He must have fallen off a cliff in respect of performances for you to describe him as such.

Started brightly but just isn't really good enough - should've moved to a midtable side rather than one with Man Utd's supposed aspirations (though you can question them big time, but that's a different argument).

We were linked with him before, but Xhedran Shaqiri seems surplus to requirements at Liverpool. He always played well against us when he was at Stoke and could offer some competition to Perez and Gray as right wide forward. I think he'd be a sensible transfer, even if not the most exciting.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

12 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

Having read Sky’s bit on French football today, seems as if there should be some talent available in Ligue 1 with their season ending early and teams being hit financially. 

Depay or Thauvin the two standout ones for me.

Depay stalling on a contract and only 12 months left and Marseille looking at struggles with FFP again - Thauvin fits the left footed right winger profile we’re after, although has had struggles in the Premier League previously with Newcastle. Think he’s a bit of a different player now to what he was then but if we’re sceptical on that front then Payet could be a cheaper, short-term solution, think he’s on big money there tho and caused some trouble at West Ham. 

The fact that Lyon finish 7th and will not be in Europe next season, I can see Depay moving on. 

41 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

100%. Think he’d like another crack at Premier League football as well after his time with Man United - not sure how many of the traditional top teams would take a chance on him after that tho. I reckon we could get him in for about £25 million, could be a bargain. 

The only question is how he has recover from he's injury.

8 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Thought Man Utd fans thought he was a bit of show pony, obviously much could have changed since those days.

Still only 24/25 right? Maybe he’s had a chance to grow a little. I’d love that flair at the kp. 

Edited by casablancas
Bloody autocorrect
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, casablancas said:

Still only 24/25 right? Maybe he’s had a chance to grow a little. I’d love that flair at the kp. 

Yeah I think Depay would be a great shout. Similar to Tielemans in that he had a big move early that didn't work out, but is keen to redeem himself. The guy has a lot of natural talent, and with the right coach could really blossom. He's another one of those players that I think would excel under a great man-manager and development coach like Rodgers. Speaks fluent English too.

Only issue is he plays as a wide left forward most of the time, which is where Harvey Barnes plays. And Barnes has smashed it so far in 2020.

Edited by StriderHiryu

2 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah I think Depay would be a great shout. Similar to Tielemans in that he had a big move early that didn't work out, but is keen to redeem himself. The guy has a lot of natural talent, and with the right coach could really blossom. He's another one of those players that I think would excel under a great man-manager and development coach like Rodgers. Speaks fluent English too.

I was listening to scouted football podcast not long ago where they had the data analyst on that worked closely with Depay and his agent when he was deciding to leave United.

He felt strongly that the style of play at Man U under Van Gaal at the time didn't suit his, and that was a main reason for his "failure".

Then looking at Lyon statistically and the manager's playing style decided that they would be the best fit for him.

Not sure if he would see our style under Rodgers as the next best place for him to develop or not.

But like people have mentioned he is still recovering from that ACL injury.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Bakey said:

I was listening to scouted football podcast not long ago where they had the data analyst on that worked closely with Depay and his agent when he was deciding to leave United.

He felt strongly that the style of play at Man U under Van Gaal at the time didn't suit his, and that was a main reason for his "failure".

Then looking at Lyon statistically and the manager's playing style decided that they would be the best fit for him.

Not sure if he would see our style under Rodgers as the next best place for him to develop or not.

But like people have mentioned he is still recovering from that ACL injury.

Yeah it was this one:

He's proved to be a hit in France and getting back to somewhere near his best. I am sure he would rather transfer to a bigger club, but transfers across Europe are going to be hit hard by Coronavirus. Probably only around 10 clubs I think will make marquee signings. Even Liverpool have said they won't make any, which is why Chelsea beat them to Timo Werner.

If he was avaialble for Perez money (30m), he'd have to be worth considering. But I imagine CB is top priority this window.

• Like 1

Depay is a great shout and still fits our profile for signings.   Still relatively young, wouldn't break the bank and is certainly talented. 4/5 year contract and would still have a resale value. Wages might be an issue but probably on less now than he would be at utd.

He has a point to prove and we could be just the platform for him to do it on.

On 09/06/2020 at 06:02, Foxy_Bear said:

To be honest, I'm leaning towards needing one too. Nacho DID improve but I still wouldnt feel comfortable with an injury to Vardy. 

If you look at the other clubs in this league, the only ones who would be comfortable with an injury to their first choice striker are Man City and Arsenal, who are in a weird limbo situation with Aubameyang and Lacazette. That's just the way it is these days, it's extremely difficult to satisfy strikers of a good quality to stay on the bench. Iheanacho is better than Ighalo, Giroud, Tosun, and many other second choice strikers in this league.

15 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yeah it was this one:

He's proved to be a hit in France and getting back to somewhere near his best. I am sure he would rather transfer to a bigger club, but transfers across Europe are going to be hit hard by Coronavirus. Probably only around 10 clubs I think will make marquee signings. Even Liverpool have said they won't make any, which is why Chelsea beat them to Timo Werner.

If he was avaialble for Perez money (30m), he'd have to be worth considering. But I imagine CB is top priority this window.

Out of interest, why do you say centre back is top priority? I could see us signing one as after Soyuncu and Evans Morgan is finished and Benkovic a question mark, but surely someone to supplement the front line would be a bigger priority.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Nicolo Barella said:

If you look at the other clubs in this league, the only ones who would be comfortable with an injury to their first choice striker are Man City and Arsenal, who are in a weird limbo situation with Aubameyang and Lacazette. That's just the way it is these days, it's extremely difficult to satisfy strikers of a good quality to stay on the bench. Iheanacho is better than Ighalo, Giroud, Tosun, and many other second choice strikers in this league.

I think this is a fair point.  The demise of the two-striker formation in modern English football has made it very difficult to carry two starting-caliber true forwards.  The one caveat in our situation is that Vardy is so elderly, of course.

Ask yourself this question - how many EPL sides have a better second striker than Iheanacho?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

He’s really not!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Nicolo Barella said:

Out of interest, why do you say centre back is top priority? I could see us signing one as after Soyuncu and Evans Morgan is finished and Benkovic a question mark, but surely someone to supplement the front line would be a bigger priority.

What I think and what the club thinks are two totally different things. It's well known we were in for Demiral of Juventus in January, and Wes Morgan won't play next season. There's another thread in the transfer forum with all of the other players we've been linked to at CB, and there's many.

You are right though, if it were down to me I'd prioritise a right wide forward.

• Like 1

Just looking at Ighalo for Watford. He had an insane run of games in 2015 - scoring or assisting in 12 out of 15 games between September and new year. In some cases, he was the difference in wins/ draws and probably got them at least 15 points. But his following season was horrific. 1 goal in 14 starts, including 11 games where he played the full 90. No assists either. 

At this stage - I'd rather have Nacho. At least he's still improving. But to say he's the best second striker around is to discount Lacazette, Giroud and Gabriel Jesus. 

I still think we paid too much for him but I'd rather him score only 4 goals a season, all of which make a difference (ie - are the winners or rescue a point) than score 10 in games where we were already on top. 

3 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Ask yourself this question - how many EPL sides have a better second striker than Iheanacho?

What Ihneacho are you talking about though? The one that showed a vast improvement at times this season or the one that looked completely out of his depth for most of his time here. He has the potential to be a really good player but you just don't know what you ate going to get. 

Let's say we compared him to someone like Glen Murray. Obviously Ian is a better player but Murray Grabs important goals when he is called upon. 

I don't know about who but my targets would be:

A right winger - has to be a priority, a marquee signing for me. would take us to another level. I like Perez, and he adds something to the squad but we need something creative from the right to work well with Maddison, and different to the directness of Barnes on other side.

Centre back - Good competition for Evans/Soyuncu, I don't think we can rely on Benkovic and as much as I love Morgan and he never really lets us down, he shouldn't be third choice next season.

Centre Mid - Again, more of a squad improvement assuming Mendy and James are leaving or don't feature. Unsure on type, need cover for Ndidi as Choudhury/Praet have struggled with deep lying role at times but then we also need cover from an attacking point of view of Maddison/Tielemans.

Striker - Still think we're light of options up front but difficult to see who we could attract to play a last resort type role. Maybe Hirst can be that man, but would be better out on loan. I'd be looking for someone coming towards the end of his career but can still do a job.

We don't need a lot, assuming we don't sell anyone. But we wstill have people taking up funds and squad places that need to be moved on to make room.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

I don't know about who but my targets would be:

A right winger - has to be a priority, a marquee signing for me. would take us to another level. I like Perez, and he adds something to the squad but we need something creative from the right to work well with Maddison, and different to the directness of Barnes on other side.

Centre back - Good competition for Evans/Soyuncu, I don't think we can rely on Benkovic and as much as I love Morgan and he never really lets us down, he shouldn't be third choice next season.

Centre Mid - Again, more of a squad improvement assuming Mendy and James are leaving or don't feature. Unsure on type, need cover for Ndidi as Choudhury/Praet have struggled with deep lying role at times but then we also need cover from an attacking point of view of Maddison/Tielemans.

Striker - Still think we're light of options up front but difficult to see who we could attract to play a last resort type role. Maybe Hirst can be that man, but would be better out on loan. I'd be looking for someone coming towards the end of his career but can still do a job.

We don't need a lot, assuming we don't sell anyone. But we wstill have people taking up funds and squad places that need to be moved on to make room.

In fairness, Barnes is quite creative, he has the most assists out of any of our players this season. 

• Like 3