Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

It’s so hard to follow the twists and turns in the content of the data that is on offer. I don’t think it’s any sort of conspiracy, but sometimes it just seems like they haven’t really thought things through.

I'm not sure what the logic is behind it tbh, just saw it announced a couple of weeks ago.

Worldometers were including positive antibody tests in their Spanish case numbers too.

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I'm not sure what the logic is behind it tbh, just saw it announced a couple of weeks ago.

Worldometers were including positive antibody tests in their Spanish case numbers too.

It’s interesting data in its own right, but shouldn’t be classed as new infections surely.

36 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

So if I understood that correctly, Spain are including antibody positives in with their total case count and treating them as if they are new infections? Might go some way to explaining the charts you showed earlier, where there is a recent peak of infections but no corresponding death increase.

I do notice that they’ve suddenly added 127 new deaths today, about 10x the recently reported daily figures. I take it that this is some data quirk and not a real increase.

This from a country who is trying to influence its neighbours that things are under control - you could not make it up.

Yes - tests are recorded as an addition if it is either positive or the person has antibodies.  Given that the age of people being tested has been reducing significantly I expect many are antibody positive (hard to find this stat)

As regards deaths - there were actually 14 yesterday.  If you want to see how the additional 113 deaths come about it is their desire to record death on the day it happens eventually needing a “catch up” (on worldometer).  If you look at the source document for today (on worldometers) and find the bar chart for deaths in the last 14 days and then compare it with the same source document from yesterday you can see the changes made for each day (guess worldometers is no longer interested in breaking it down - and why would it).

Are Spain good at PR or what - people are looking at worldometer for info and Spain continually shoots itself in the foot.  At least they are open ... but naïve in the extreme.

Hope I have explained this ridiculous situation well enough

• Thanks 1

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deaths

How much flatter does this curve need to get? (The majority of these deaths are from weeks prior too).

Aren't we pretty much back to normal now? Except for nightclubs? People just need to socially distance, continue to wear masks and be sensible with what they're doing.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 3

31 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://coronavirus.data.gov.uk/deaths

How much flatter does this curve need to get? (The majority of these deaths are from weeks prior too).

Aren't me pretty much back to normal now? Except for nightclubs? People just need to socially distance, continue to wear masks and be sensible with what they're doing.

Yep agreed with all of that - continue to open up but be sensible about socially distancing and wearing masks.

One key milestone from worldometer yesterday was the average deaths falling to single figures for the first time since lockdown.

Hospitalisations seem to be decreasing too despite the rise in positive tests in the last 4 weeks or so.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://news.sky.com/story/coronavirus-study-into-long-covid-finds-3-in-4-patients-suffering-symptoms-months-later-12052795

This is a worry though. I wonder how many weeks it takes to fully get over it.

This is the most concerning thing really. I never was tested but strongly believe I had the virus in mid-March. I still have a bit of a lingering cough, and i still have days where inexplicably I have zero energy to do anything. It's definitely impacting on my work productivity at the moment, which is frustrating. My husband is a keen runner, and he's been finding that his recovery is taking longer than usual. All relatively trivial compared to not even having the energy to do the washing up or climb the stairs as some people have reported, but it still seems to have impacted us for several months afterwards. 

2 hours ago, rachhere said:

This is the most concerning thing really. I never was tested but strongly believe I had the virus in mid-March. I still have a bit of a lingering cough, and i still have days where inexplicably I have zero energy to do anything. It's definitely impacting on my work productivity at the moment, which is frustrating. My husband is a keen runner, and he's been finding that his recovery is taking longer than usual. All relatively trivial compared to not even having the energy to do the washing up or climb the stairs as some people have reported, but it still seems to have impacted us for several months afterwards. 

I can’t understand these sports stars who put themselves in harms way by flouting rules designed to keep them virus free. We’ve had footballers and tennis players and I’m sure loads of others acting stupid. If they catch Covid, they will almost certainly survive but even a small reaction like yours could threaten an elite athlete’s fitness over a potentially long period and derail their lucrative careers.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

5 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I can’t understand these sports stars who put themselves in harms way by flouting rules designed to keep them virus free. We’ve had footballers and tennis players and I’m sure loads of others acting stupid. If they catch Covid, they will almost certainly survive but even a small reaction like yours could threaten an elite athlete’s fitness over a potentially long period and derail their lucrative careers.

You are right - my husband has been frustrated that he can't get his usual times when running, but if you think of that in terms of an elite athlete who is pushing their body to the max, the thinnest margins can make such a difference. You saw that with Djokovic who attributes so much of his success to moving to a gluten free diet. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

This is an interesting one, if they lockdown the city I wonder how that'll impact the return of university students and their lectures. I'll be interested to see if they'd class practical classes as essential travel. 

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

There have been mutterings for a while. Somewhat selfishly I hope that if this happens they take the same approach as with Leicester and make it postcode specific - apparently there's been hardly any cases at all in my immediate area. 

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

This is an interesting one, if they lockdown the city I wonder how that'll impact the return of university students and their lectures. I'll be interested to see if they'd class practical classes as essential travel. 

I suspect the fact that a lot of people travel through the city centre to get there will be seen as an issue. 

7 minutes ago, rachhere said:

There have been mutterings for a while. Somewhat selfishly I hope that if this happens they take the same approach as with Leicester and make it postcode specific - apparently there's been hardly any cases at all in my immediate area. 

I suspect the fact that a lot of people travel through the city centre to get there will be seen as an issue. 

I'd assume New Street would be a large risk of potential transmission, with the number of people using the services daily

25 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Stade Francias had to postpone their match at the weekend due to recently infected players on reduced lung capacity despite now being covid negative. 

11 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

Restrictions should just be scrapped now, the chances of infection being deadly are so minimal to the fit and healthy.

Self certification system should be in place for those with concerns about going out. 

Not sure I completely agree, I read about a 30 year old Dr that had it 3 months and is struggling to do anything now.

10 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Not sure I completely agree, I read about a 30 year old Dr that had it 3 months and is struggling to do anything now.

You will always find those people with any disease. Christ, lads would just drop down dead during basic training due to some undetectable heart defect, it's not unusual.

• Like 2