Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, simFox said:

You will always find those people with any disease. Christ, lads would just drop down dead during basic training due to some undetectable heart defect, it's not unusual.

I understand that more than most mate unfortunately but read the Sky article today. 3 out of 4 people who ended up in hospital are in a bit of a state so I’m not sure the flippant post I quoted would be great in reality.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, simFox said:

You will always find those people with any disease. Christ, lads would just drop down dead during basic training due to some undetectable heart defect, it's not unusual.

Absolutely. I know people who’ve struggled for a few months after a bad virus.  We don’t shut the world down for them. A young scrum half who played for Quinn’s died a few years back from a virus. These stories aren’t rare. We can’t hide away because the odd young fit person dies suddenly or some people are moaning a few months on they still ain’t 100% after having the virus. Amazing how many people seem scared of their own shadow these days. 

• Like 2

The problem is that events over here, as well as elsewhere, have shown that all it takes is a small amount of the population to have the thing and either not play by the rules or the rules be relaxed for things to spike again rather quickly.

However, it appears that either through a mutation or increased knowledge and quality of care most nations are limiting the amount of deaths and serious long-term illnesses as a result of this. That, however, might not count for much should hospitals become as strained again as they were in the spring.

This thing is not too far away from being overcome IMO - it just needs a little, just a little, more time and patience before the world opens up once again.

11 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The problem is that events over here, as well as elsewhere, have shown that all it takes is a small amount of the population to have the thing and either not play by the rules or the rules be relaxed for things to spike again rather quickly.

However, it appears that either through a mutation or increased knowledge and quality of care most nations are limiting the amount of deaths and serious long-term illnesses as a result of this. That, however, might not count for much should hospitals become as strained again as they were in the spring.

This thing is not too far away from being overcome IMO - it just needs a little, just a little, more time and patience before the world opens up once again.

Don't you think that the measure of where we actually are would have been the blm protests and the mass gatherings at seaside resorts. We're a few months on from that and there doesn't appear to be spikes from it.

• Like 2

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

Don't you think that the measure of where we actually are would have been the blm protests and the mass gatherings at seaside resorts. We're a few months on from that and there doesn't appear to be spikes from it.

No, but it did give us some additional information, which seems to have been corroborated by events over here too - it's large indoor gatherings, for whatever reason, that seem to be the key driver. Large outdoor gatherings might not be the greatest thing to do either but they don't seem to be nearly as much of a factor in driving numbers up as big indoor events. It's not a straight causality, but enough to perhaps be used to set at least some rules to go forward and finally deal with this thing.

1 minute ago, leicsmac said:

No, but it did give us some additional information, which seems to have been corroborated by events over here too - it's large indoor gatherings, for whatever reason, that seem to be the key driver. Large outdoor gatherings might not be the greatest thing to do either but they don't seem to be nearly as much of a factor in driving numbers up as big indoor events. It's not a straight causality, but enough to perhaps be used to set at least some rules to go forward and finally deal with this thing.

I think the reason would be exactly the same as to why some virus' get spread through air conditioning inside buildings and hospitals. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

No need to use the adjective 'flippant', - is a bit of a dig. We are all entitled to an opinion on the matter and I do appreciate your view point too, you do talk sense @Costock_Fox 

I must say however, the amount of mental health cases has put local NHS branches under more pressure during this pandemic than Coronavirus cases could even compare to. The restrictions we have to work under and how things are slowed by the pandemic are not ideal in providing the best healthcare service possible, but it is what it is. The pandemic has dragged the NHS into the 21st century with the use of telephone/video appointments and requests from GPs for photos to be sent in prior to an appointment etc. but not all industries have the government support and have just had £13 billion of debt wiped of like ours has. 

The natural progression for us now would seem to be to progress as close back to normality as possible, there could easily be more jobs created for people delivering items from shops, the doctors etc. whilst those who are self certificating stay at home. I'm not sure how they'd be able to source an income but we all knew this pandemic was survival of the fittest, it's a sad reality but what should take paramount importance, the countries ability to run for the next 20/30 years or the ill? I commend the steps taken at the start to protect the vulnerable from the virus and the NHS from going into overdrive and collapsing, but now it feels like we are protecting the minority rather than the future of our society. 

It wasn’t meant as a dig, and it’s not very often I get told I’m talking sense.

My point was that this is still still pretty much unknown but the research shows if you get this bad you could be buggered for life.

1 minute ago, pmcla26 said:

No probs, I didn't take personal offence just the language choice but it's chill dude.

but yeah you're right, none of us really know what the solution is. It's the constant contradiction from scenario to scenario that gets me but there are people paid a lot of money for a reason to put these restrictions in place, I guess.

The problem the government has now is that they ****ed so many things ups at the start they now seem to be overreacting.

Take the quarantine stuff, they could have just stopped certain areas of Spain but overreacted. Also, to a certain extend this exam bollocks.

• Like 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't understand why we don't make people take tests when they land into this country, and then maybe one again a few days later. If both come back as negative then you can exit quarantine, rather than self isolating for the 14 days atm. I'm probably missing something out though on why this isn't possible.

The point of the 14 days is that's likely the incubation period of the virus. A test on day 1 or day 7 of the return could lead negative due to the viral load being too low. Each person would end up having like 4 tests in 2 weeks.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

The point of the 14 days is that's likely the incubation period of the virus. A test on day 1 or day 7 of the return could lead negative due to the viral load being too low. Each person would end up having like 4 tests in 2 weeks.

Is that not the same for anything though? Like I left the house and went to a restaurant last night (I didn't but you know what I mean), I could have it but I wouldn't test positive.

Or is it purely because you're much more likely to catch it on an aeroplane than you are when you're at a restaurant/supermarket etc.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Is that not the same for anything though? Like I left the house and went to a restaurant last night (I didn't but you know what I mean), I could have it but I wouldn't test positive.

Or is it purely because you're much more likely to catch it on an aeroplane than you are when you're at a restaurant/supermarket etc.

The quarantine is only brought in when area's are above a certain threshold (I'm not sure what that criteria is however). I'd assume they deem it a higher risk of someone being infected than if they were say at the restaurant. As we've seen, in local areas with spikes, places are locked down temporarily until that risk decreases. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rachhere said:

There have been mutterings for a while. Somewhat selfishly I hope that if this happens they take the same approach as with Leicester and make it postcode specific - apparently there's been hardly any cases at all in my immediate area. 

I suspect the fact that a lot of people travel through the city centre to get there will be seen as an issue. 

I live in Stratford and our cases from what I've read have been some of the lowest in the country. Really surprised me considering at weekends, the town is full of Birmingham folk.

2 minutes ago, Wet Trump said:

I live in Stratford and our cases from what I've read have been some of the lowest in the country. Really surprised me considering at weekends, the town is full of Birmingham folk.

I bet! I know loads of people who have been down there recently! 

16 minutes ago, Nick said:

Croatia, Austria and Trinidad and Tobago have been added to the quarantine air bridge list...

England apparently gone up 3 x infection rate this week... 

Bloody Nora.

It’s sort of spreading again ......

I was told they need normal blood donations ahead of plasma for the next six weeks .....

so any prospective blood donors - you’re needed !!!

13 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It’s sort of spreading again ......

I was told they need normal blood donations ahead of plasma for the next six weeks .....

so any prospective blood donors - you’re needed !!!

Half the population are drinking themselves stupid, the other half are on anti depressants. Might have to lower the blood donation quality if they need to stock up.

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't understand why we don't make people take tests when they land into this country, and then maybe one again a few days later. If both come back as negative then you can exit quarantine, rather than self isolating for the 14 days atm. I'm probably missing something out though on why this isn't possible.

Do you think the people whose first thought was to jump on a plane to a foreign country will actually bother to self isolate anyway. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Babylon said:

Do you think the people whose first thought was to jump on a plane to a foreign country will actually bother to self isolate anyway. 

Slightly barbed comment on those that choose to live a life as best they can rather than hole up terrified.....but I agree with the rhetorical question you pose. 

No, those who go abroad are prob the very last people who'd give a shite about quarantine. And nor would I, unless it was patently obvious I'd been mixing in a high risk environment, like a hospital covid ward. 

• Thanks 1