Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, MonmoreStef said:

I’m hearing more people getting resentful with these massive over reactions.  Unless deaths start rising towards April levels again I can’t see people accepting the State control for much longer. Those people who claim to have not seen their family for 4/5 months because of this must be absolutely bonkers, unless of course they live abroad. It’s time to put the middle finger up at the government and get on with our lives. 

I think a lot of people are now just actively making up their own rules, I know I am. People are seeing the news and seeing 6 or 7 people dying a day, with 6x that many dying from normal flu or pneumonia.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think a lot of people are now just actively making up their own rules, I know I am. People are seeing the news and seeing 6 or 7 people dying a day, with 6x that many dying from normal flu or pneumonia.

I feel like I'm in this situation. Still socially distancing as much as possible though and not going in to people's houses, avoiding crowds at the moment too. 

Never going to the beach if I see it as packed as some of the pictures. I wouldn't even want to go there even if there was no covid lol

For those of a sunnier but still pragmatic disposition, and whilst I have tended to err on the side of caution, I said a while back that I thought (from a complete novice’s view of virology) that the nastiest strains of the virus may have been decimated by the lockdown and that we’ve now been left with the milder strains that got through on account of being mostly asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic. Even as cases have picked up in places, it seems that the death and hospitalisation rates haven’t necessarily followed. 

Here’s an article from Spain: 

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-08-17/more-cases-among-young-people-and-a-lower-death-rate-how-the-coronavirus-epidemic-has-changed-in-spain.html?outputType=amp

Obviously that doesn’t mean guidelines and safeguarding like social distancing and masks aren’t necessary, but it’s encouraging that we may not be seeing deaths in the hundreds or thousands a day again. Hopefully as long as we can keep out areas with high death rates and malignant strains (Brazil, the US, etc.) and we keep any outbreaks well contained, Europe might be able to keep the economic recovery running without too many hitches, at least until a longer term solution is found.

3 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

For those of a sunnier but still pragmatic disposition, and whilst I have tended to err on the side of caution, I said a while back that I thought (from a complete novice’s view of virology) that the nastiest strains of the virus may have been decimated by the lockdown and that we’ve now been left with the milder strains that got through on account of being mostly asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic. Even as cases have picked up in places, it seems that the death and hospitalisation rates haven’t necessarily followed. 

Here’s an article from Spain: 

https://english.elpais.com/society/2020-08-17/more-cases-among-young-people-and-a-lower-death-rate-how-the-coronavirus-epidemic-has-changed-in-spain.html?outputType=amp

Obviously that doesn’t mean guidelines and safeguarding like social distancing and masks aren’t necessary, but it’s encouraging that we may not be seeing deaths in the hundreds or thousands a day again. Hopefully as long as we can keep out areas with high death rates and malignant strains (Brazil, the US, etc.) and we keep any outbreaks well contained, Europe might be able to keep the economic recovery running without too many hitches, at least until a longer term solution is found.

You're pretty spot on, the isolation and testing we have in place for those showing symptoms will have hugely reduced the "success" (success defined as the ability for the virus to replicate and infect a new host) of the more pathogenic/symptomatic strains. So it makes more evolutionary sense, for the viral strains without these to be more prominent in the environment. Hopefully, should we continue to be sensible, socially distance/wear masks in close indoor environments, much of 'normal' life will be able to slowly return. It's how we (Gov. and businesses) cope with spikes in local areas that'll determine how successful our recovery, both economically and socially, is.

3 hours ago, MonmoreStef said:

I’m hearing more people getting resentful with these massive over reactions.  Unless deaths start rising towards April levels again I can’t see people accepting the State control for much longer. Those people who claim to have not seen their family for 4/5 months because of this must be absolutely bonkers, unless of course they live abroad. It’s time to put the middle finger up at the government and get on with our lives. 

I've seen my parents only a handful of times in the past 5 months. The majority were through a window as my mum is of the 'extremely vulnerable' category.

The problem I now see, is that it has become ingrained into her that, should she go back to going to shops, seeing us etc she will die. I know she won't be the only one too afraid to venture out either. Its so sad, i'm now of the opinion that more harm is being done from this lockdown than good.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Ollie93 said:

I've seen my parents only a handful of times in the past 5 months. The majority were through a window as my mum is of the 'extremely vulnerable' category.

The problem I now see, is that it has become ingrained into her that, should she go back to going to shops, seeing us etc she will die. I know she won't be the only one too afraid to venture out either. Its so sad, i'm now of the opinion that more harm is being done from this lockdown than good.

My wife is the same. Loads of stuff she won’t do now because of the fear she’s now got.  I’d imagine there are millions of people who are very hesitant to do loads of things they’d always done pre March. 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I find most people are using a sensible line between the guides of the government and the social distancing standards

16 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

My wife is the same. Loads of stuff she won’t do now because of the fear she’s now got.  I’d imagine there are millions of people who are very hesitant to do loads of things they’d always done pre March. 

Exactly, even going to sit in my parents garden, my mum is very wary of it. In a sense its good to be wary, but I worry she will have this level of fear for months to come.

13 hours ago, simFox said:

IMG-20200818-WA0006.jpg

Pretty much the same with every country in Europe. 

Assuming that your charts are correct, they certainly do demand an explanation, as clearly the situation is quite different now to that painted by the data back in April.

Possibilities are:

- Much more testing being done now compared with April. I believe epidemiologists are saying that there could have been 10 times as many infections in the UK as the number of confirmed cases, and this means that 90% of infections were going undetected. It must be considerably smaller proportion now that there is so much more testing, so a much higher proportion of underlying infections are being detected.

- I believe that treatments for the infection are much better now than they were in April, meaning significantly less mortality.

- I understand that a higher proportion of young people are now getting infected, and they are much less likely to have a fatal outcome.

- There has been some speculation about whether the virus has mutated, perhaps into a less lethal strain.

Whilst this does suggest that a second wave of deaths is far less likely, I’d prefer that somewhere other than my current jurisdiction of Western Australia investigates the opportunities that this may provide for loosening restrictions :whistle:

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Took my 10 yr old lad shop with me a few days ago for the first time since lockdown told him it would be fine only difference is people wearing masks and trying to distance. Was a bit wary all the way there but was ok and just as we are about to leave the shop a guy that didn’t speak any English started shaking his hand because he had a City shirt on which then made him a little more nervous again. 

Doesnt really want to go back to school either which will not be helped when he goes back by the fact that his best friend is no longer attending the school which we haven’t told him yet as he will definitely not feel great about going back. 

Hoping once he goes back for a few days will feel different. 

17 minutes ago, Md9 said:

Took my 10 yr old lad shop with me a few days ago for the first time since lockdown told him it would be fine only difference is people wearing masks and trying to distance. Was a bit wary all the way there but was ok and just as we are about to leave the shop a guy that didn’t speak any English started shaking his hand because he had a City shirt on which then made him a little more nervous again. 

Doesnt really want to go back to school either which will not be helped when he goes back by the fact that his best friend is no longer attending the school which we haven’t told him yet as he will definitely not feel great about going back. 

Hoping once he goes back for a few days will feel different. 

Seems a bit odd in this environment for a stranger to do to anyone let alone a 10 year old.  Hope your son starts feels better about things anyway.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Nalis said:

Seems a bit odd in this environment for a stranger to do to anyone let alone a 10 year old.  Hope your son starts feels better about things anyway.

Thanks hoping once he has been for a few days will be ok. Yeah it was very odd he did it pointing at his city shirt and going on saying messi and Ronaldo so was on about the football but not something you would expect people to be doing at this time. 

7 hours ago, stix said:

There is a massive difference here though. You grew up in the 80’s/90’s, like I did(we are a similar age according to your bio)

Our children live in a completely different society to that which we did. When I was my daughters age I was outside all day long at every opportunity with my friends.  Children’s social lives are now predominantly online, whether that’s right or wrong, it’s where we’re at. So suggesting that you just take their shit away from them and shove an encyclopaedia on the desk is quite frankly ridiculous. It’s 2020 mate. 

For the majority of the lockdown, the kids weren’t allowed to go outside and have a mess about with their friends, they were advised to stay indoors like the rest of us. You’re struggling to understand the impact that this is having/going to have on this generation of children. Throughout their lives so far they’ve been able to socially interact with their peers in school, create bonds, and prepare them for the next stages of their lives, whatever stage that may be. That’s been completely taken away from them, and it doesn’t matter that it’s only 6 months or so of their lives, it’s easy for Adults to comprehend that in their heads, it really isn’t easy for children to do the same. 

My youngest is due to move up to the high school in a couple of weeks, because of lockdown she has had no induction at the school like she normally would have, she doesn’t know if any of her friends will be in any of her classes. She has struggled with some anxiety issues in the past, and this scenario is definitely playing on her mind more and more. We have tried to reassure her that everything will be ok but it is still affecting her. Yes, you could say I’m being selfish, but I don’t really give a shit, my priority is to make sure my children come first, and that means getting them back into some kind of new normal where they can be kids again. At least in some way anyway. 

You’ve stated a few times now that don’t respect the guidelines because there’s no consistency etc, then go and see your parents!!! They are guidelines. That’s all. 

Not necessary disagreeing...

just an Open thought...

Kids & parents are asked to Pull it in for 6-12 months...Go without this or that for awhile.. Not have Access to their normal Education ,Not to Meet with

friends...sometimes Close relations...

The kids of 1940-48 up to 2-5 years After the war......How come,we managed & Organised the following years....!!

Though to be fair society seemed then  better organised....

Though our modern employment thoughts,ideology & Organisation is Really piss poorer,when comparing it to what wasnt available in those years..!!!

Our life's Security & Status quo, has taken a massive hit.....So far when questioned,we whine & stamp our feet,when a Natural catastrophe Hits us...

After only 6 months we are shitting it!!!   Instead of thinking & asking ...what can we do to change our lives,where can we help..???

We are charging & Chasing forward to get The past "normal" irresponsible thoughtless,corrupt-based routine back into our lives...

We Haven t given a 2nd thought to what might Need Changing drastically....

So much so that many seem to accept that Govt-advisors Run the Country & Not True elected politicians.!!

Think about this...your Children are going to face Another world, help to prepare them for that....because Work platforms & Ethos will change....

Trying to return to the "old-Norm"  just might not be an option..!!

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, simFox said:

Spanish doctor on the news, clearly threw away the script! Brilliant!

Brilliant check 2:00, he explains we see an increase in mild cases due to an increase in testing.  The media were trying to claim its some kind of hospital crisis.

Edited by Chrysalis

2 hours ago, simFox said:

Spanish doctor on the news, clearly threw away the script! Brilliant!

So if I understood that correctly, Spain are including antibody positives in with their total case count and treating them as if they are new infections? Might go some way to explaining the charts you showed earlier, where there is a recent peak of infections but no corresponding death increase.

I do notice that they’ve suddenly added 127 new deaths today, about 10x the recently reported daily figures. I take it that this is some data quirk and not a real increase.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

Governments need to fvck countries up to create power over the people

The media need to fvck countries up because there’s no such thing as bad news to them. 
 Many people have died, that’s a fact, but why the lack of anything positive coming from either of them. 

8 hours ago, Ollie93 said:

Exactly, even going to sit in my parents garden, my mum is very wary of it. In a sense its good to be wary, but I worry she will have this level of fear for months to come.

My mum and dad are the fittest 70 year olds you could ever meet. 

But they've holed up since day 1, terrified. They won't admit it yet to me (they are extremely stubborn!) , but they are weary of this now. 

Christmas will break it. I just know they - and if them then millions of others too - will (at last) - bum this shite off at Christmas

I do feel the nation and my mum and dad needs to grow a pair. If you get it bad, c'est la vie.

Play the hand you get dealt! 

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

So if I understood that correctly, Spain are including antibody positives in with their total case count and treating them as if they are new infections? Might go some way to explaining the charts you showed earlier, where there is a recent peak of infections but no corresponding death increase.

I do notice that they’ve suddenly added 127 new deaths today, about 10x the recently reported daily figures. I take it that this is some data quirk and not a real increase.

I said the antibody thing on here a couple of weeks ago when people were discussing increasing cases and a 'second wave', everyone just ignored me lol

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I said the antibody thing on here a couple of weeks ago when people were discussing increasing cases and a 'second wave', everyone just ignored me lol

It’s so hard to follow the twists and turns in the content of the data that is on offer. I don’t think it’s any sort of conspiracy, but sometimes it just seems like they haven’t really thought things through.