Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

The R rate will never drop far below one, we have so little cases that even a spike of 30 or 40 people in a pub will cause the R rate to jump up.

The deaths were plastered everywhere when they were high, now they're low and 2 people are dying a day we're being told to focus on cases. We're pretty much back to normal now other than wearing masks and nightclubs being open, and we're seeing so few deaths and the R rate is between 0.8-1.1, so I see little need in forcing us back into stricter easures again.

The R rate does drop as cases drop and as we see fewer cases it drops further. With 1000 new cases and rising R rate, now is the time to highlight the more severe regions and enforce stricter rules or we end up with hotspots. 

4 minutes ago, Nalis said:

The rate has been increasing for a while now though while hospitalisations and death rates have been decreasing.

Due to the age range being infected, we'll likely see an increase as Univeristies return. But not that same effect on hospitalizations.

4 minutes ago, pmcla26 said:

I will be fuming if Northamptonshire gets locked down because of one factory 

I'd doubt it, they'll increase testing facilities and probably be stricter on rules. But we won't see a lockdown for a while. 

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

The R rate does drop as cases drop and as we see fewer cases it drops further. With 1000 new cases and rising R rate, now is the time to highlight the more severe regions and enforce stricter rules or we end up with hotspots. 

We'll have to agree to disagree. I myself can't see the need to force businesses to close and self employed lads to stop working due to 2 or 6 people dying across the whole of the UK. Even with everything closed our R rate was 0.7-1, we were doing less testing every day and still finding 3000-5000 cases per day.

What we're doing at the minute is more than enough, I don't think nightclubs should be opened, but I do think we should continue to wear masks when indoors and social distance where possible.

4 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We'll have to agree to disagree. I myself can't see the need to force businesses to close and self employed lads to stop working due to 2 or 6 people dying across the whole of the UK. Even with everything closed our R rate was 0.7-1, we were doing less testing every day and still finding 3000-5000 cases per day.

What we're doing at the minute is more than enough, I don't think nightclubs should be opened, but I do think we should continue to wear masks when indoors and social distance where possible.

In which case we basically agree on the same things. A full lockdown would be potentially horrendous for the economy.

But in areas where we see these big increases, it's needed to be a bit stricter. Whether that be masks enforced in any indoor setting, more precautions brought into play or something like capacities of areas reduced.

I don't think we're doing anything majorly wrong, but more could be done as we're obviously seeing 1000 new cases. Nightclubs shouldn't be anywhere near opening, and there needs to be more done on clubs re-opening as bars. 

Edited by UniFox21
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Other than events opening up, what are you advocating exactly?

We're slowly but surely opening things up, I think this government are a bunch of muppets. But it's the right approach, they won't open other things up much more until they have evidence of the impact of schools and universities opening up. If the shit doesn't hit the fan then, I think we'll see a fairly quick return to normality. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Babylon said:

If someone knowingly chose to go somewhere that meant quarantine afterwards, yeah I'd wager so. Everyone I know who has gone abroad are all the "it's just a cold" brigade, who are posting pictures of themselves down the pub with large groups of people 5 minutes after getting back from their holiday when they are meant to be in quarantine. 

I've been in away since January, still waiting for flights to resume, but my company will have full expectations that I follow the rules. So 4 weeks off, with 2 weeks of those in quarantine. Then when I go back to work, another 2 weeks in quarantine! Hence for me at least, is a case of "what's the point". Multiply that by a multitude of businesses that require travel and it's killing trade.

In a 12-18 months time I sincerely believe that there will be a shortage of oil, because fields deplete and need regular intervention, but there's been zero investment for years. Some of these fields aren't even making money. It's a global shit show and I'm sure other industries will suffer.

Just now, Babylon said:

Other than events opening up, what are you advocating exactly?

I'm saying some shops and businesses shouldn't be forced to stop trading again due to the rising R rate, as has been suggested today in the news. Where we are at now is more than adequate for a daily death toll of less than 10 people.

Just now, simFox said:

I've been in away since January, still waiting for flights to resume, but my company will have full expectations that I follow the rules. So 4 weeks off, with 2 weeks of those in quarantine. Then when I go back to work, another 2 weeks in quarantine! Hence for me at least, is a case of "what's the point". Multiply that by a multitude of businesses that require travel and it's killing trade.

In a 12-18 months time I sincerely believe that there will be a shortage of oil, because fields deplete and need regular intervention, but there's been zero investment for years. Some of these fields aren't even making money. It's a global shit show and I'm sure other industries will suffer.

You must be bored as **** mate. I'm on day 6 of self isolation and I'm losing the will to live, I can't wait to get back to work.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

But it's the right approach, they won't open other things up much more until they have evidence of the impact of schools and universities opening up. If the shit doesn't hit the fan then, I think we'll see a fairly quick return to normality

This is the bit I'm worried on.

Students mix at Univeristies even with rules to say they shouldn't, they will. Flats will mix, houses will mix etc. Then in practical sessions you're putting 30 plus into a room. Yes, normally these labs hold double, but they're a squeeze at best. None of which require masks to be worn.

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

You must be bored as **** mate. I'm on day 6 of self isolation and I'm losing the will to live, I can't wait to get back to work.

I've been doing this for 10 years and before that I was in the army. But the first couple of months was hardest, now I think I'm institutionalised, I'll probably be like Mick Dundee when I get back to the UK!

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I'm saying some shops and businesses shouldn't be forced to stop trading again due to the rising R rate, as has been suggested today in the news. Where we are at now is more than adequate for a daily death toll of less than 10 people.

This government will not hesitate to close them just to keep the schools open if rates go up in September. It is now politically impossible for them to close schools at all in the future.

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

This is the bit I'm worried on.

Students mix at Univeristies even with rules to say they shouldn't, they will. Flats will mix, houses will mix etc. Then in practical sessions you're putting 30 plus into a room. Yes, normally these labs hold double, but they're a squeeze at best. None of which require masks to be worn.

Funnily enough, outbreaks at universities are less of a concern as long as lecturers/staff  are protected..... young people living away from home aren’t going to infect their older relatives ...

Just now, st albans fox said:

Funnily enough, outbreaks at universities are less of a concern as long as lecturers/staff  are protected..... young people living away from home aren’t going to infect their older relatives ...

I'm one of those staff and live at home :revenge:

I don't feel protected for what it's worth 

Just now, st albans fox said:

Well you need to be ..... mask, visor and gloves! 

I have gloves and I'm given a visor if managament deem i need it. Otherwise i get nothing! Admittedly i just sort their practicals out, but having to clear away with 30-60 students in the lab isn't hugely appealing. Aware I'm being a tad dramatic and just need to get on with it however. 

Spain's death rate has finally begun to rise now.

7 day rolling average gone from 7 2 weeks a go to 18 a week ago to 32 now. So roughly doubling in a week.

Looks like France is doing similar looking at their rising death figures the past 4 or 5 days.

Interesting to see what happens going forwards.

Whether this is the delay between the cases rising and deaths starting to rise now as we know how quickly deaths suddenly rose back in March or whether it's just going to level off.

Let's just hope it doesnt contine in that fashion and levels off at some point.

Edited by Sampson

7 hours ago, simFox said:

This is in no way meant personally, but perhaps such an oil shortage might actually encourage various nations and multinationals to pursue more sustainable and less environmentally objectionable methods of energy generation given that so many now exist (oil for making plastics, of course, still being a necessity).

...or not, because they probably won't.

11 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

I have gloves and I'm given a visor if managament deem i need it. Otherwise i get nothing! Admittedly i just sort their practicals out, but having to clear away with 30-60 students in the lab isn't hugely appealing. Aware I'm being a tad dramatic and just need to get on with it however. 

No you don’t - you need to make an issue out of it and demand the equipment. If you’re mixing with all those students then you need a mask and a visor. not a face covering either - a 3 ply at least. given that you are handling their equipment then the gloves are also important.   The bus drivers in London who were basically left by their management playing Russian roulette with their lives in March are a lesson for us all .....  we can open up more but we HAVE to respect this virus ......

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Sampson said:

Spain's death rate has finally begun to rise now.

7 day rolling average gone from 7 2 weeks a go to 18 a week ago to 32 now. So roughly doubling in a week.

Looks like France is doing similar looking at their rising death figures the past 4 or 5 days.

Interesting to see what happens going forwards.

Whether this is the delay between the cases rising and deaths starting to rise now as we know how quickly deaths suddenly rose back in March or whether it's just going to level off.

Let's just hope it doesnt contine in that fashion and levels off at some point.

well we've so far tracked around 3 weeks behind Spain and France so can only see the same happening here.

18 minutes ago, reynard said:

It would be interesting to know what percentage of people have lasting damage. I know of about 10 people who have tested positive and one of them is constantly fatigued, the rest are fine now.

16 hours ago, pmcla26 said:

I will be fuming if Northamptonshire gets locked down because of one factory 

Doubtful - I’m out on the border so shouldn’t be impacted but can’t see them actually ‘doing’ anything. Has gone from 44 in 100k though to over a 100 in a week though - can’t just be the one M&S factory... there are some spikes in Northants regions too but they won’t say where? Not sure what that’s all about - surely transparency and the more info available is the best policy?

4 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

I've had local case diagnosis text warnings pretty much entirely through the day today. I dread to think what the total count across country will be tomorrow morning.

And all because some fundies had a beef with the government and decided to play Typhoid Mary.

So sad. What exactly was their problem?

Do you think they’ll be able to get things back on track?

Just now, WigstonWanderer said:

So sad. What exactly was their problem?

Do you think they’ll be able to get things back on track?

Pretty much the same as in the US - God-fearing conservatives no longer getting everything they want so they're pissed off about it. Including actively blocking investigation into outbreaks involving members of their church.

They managed to deal with a similar cult in Daegu in March, but it seems this one is different in that the members of the church have now dispersed to many different parts of Korea, taking the virus with them. Worrying.