Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

16 minutes ago, filbertway said:

Kids are bad enough at communicating normally now that they're stuck to their devices and it's becoming the norm. Taking another 2 years of meeting new kids from them seems insane to me.

Again, as they do in Finland, having subsidised playgroups would solve that. 

3 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Of the 29,444 deaths in English hospitals 28,055 had at least one pre existing condition.

The age breakdown is eye opening as well. Less than 200 under 40’s have died and only 37 of those had no pre existing conditions.

*Stolen these from another forum*

If those figures are correct, which I’m not doubting, then the Government’s approach to this pandemic is worst than I first thought. The economic damage going forward is going to be far worse. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, hejammy said:

So nail/beauty salons can open but I can't have friends or family in my garden? What kinda f'ed up crap is that!

It’s pretty clear and obvious now that it’s basically anything we can tax we will open. They’re desperate to give the economy a kick up the backside - it certainly isn’t about what’s safe and what isn’t anymore, in my opinion (not that I’m saying it isn’t safe being back in the big wide world with the precautions in place, I feel very safe when I go out personally). 

If you want to have friends and family over in the garden and you’re social distancing, ****ing have friends and family over in the garden! 

Edited by Manini

5 minutes ago, Manini said:

It’s pretty clear and obvious now that it’s basically anything we can tax we will open. They’re desperate to give the economy a kick up the backside - it certainly isn’t about what’s safe and what isn’t anymore, in my opinion (not that I’m saying it isn’t safe being back in the big wide world with the precautions in place, I feel very safe when I go out personally). 

If you want to have friends and family over in the garden and you’re social distancing, ****ing have friends and family over in the garden! 

Don't listen to the tossers in government. They don't care for you or yours. They care about their pockets and themselves. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

If those figures are correct, which I’m not doubting, then the Government’s approach to this pandemic is worst than I first thought. The economic damage going forward is going to be far worse. 

From a manufacturing point of view, we are basically fvcked and i think the construction / housing industry is living a false dawn, when that goes down we really are in a full scale recession.

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Of the 29,444 deaths in English hospitals 28,055 had at least one pre existing condition.

The age breakdown is eye opening as well. Less than 200 under 40’s have died and only 37 of those had no pre existing conditions.

And the sooner we wake up to this the better.

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I think this is interesting, however a "pre-existing condition" is a pretty meaningless phrase considering what's grouped under it. We really need more data on what the actual conditions are and how serious they are.

Pre-existing condition can mean anything from mild asthma or mildly high blood pressure or benign cancer which doesn't affect your every day life at all and can be controlled pretty easily with inhalers or drugs, to having terminal cancer or alzheimer's and being in the final few weeks of your life anyway.

The majority of the population probably has some form of underlying condition - especially if obesity is being included.

It's pretty devastating if people with asthma are dying from it for example. Given that more than 1 in 9 people in the UK are asthmatic and 97% of them live normal lives with standard inhaler treatment for example and would otherwise live a normal lifespan.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I think this is interesting, however a "pre-existing condition" is a pretty meaningless phrase considering what's grouped under it. We really need more data on what the actual conditions are and how serious they are.

Pre-existing condition can mean anything from mild asthma or mildly high blood pressure or benign cancer which doesn't affect your every day life at all and can be controlled pretty easily with inhalers or drugs, to having terminal cancer or alzheimer's and being in the final few weeks of your life anyway.

The majority of the population probably has some form of underlying condition - especially if obesity is being included.

It's pretty devastating if people with asthma are dying from it for example. Given that 10% of the population are asthmatic and 97% of them live normal lives with standard inhaler treatment for example and could easily live for decades longer.

My thoughts exactly when I read this.

i’m asthmatic and for 99% of the year I’m fine but this time of year I’m always a bit of a mess so if people like me that are generally fit and well are in that bracket then that’s not great.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It's pretty devastating if people with asthma are dying from it for example. Given that more than 1 in 9 people in the UK are asthmatic and 97% of them live normal lives with standard inhaler treatment for example and could easily live for decades longer.

Yeah I'm not sure what the pre-existing conditions are. They'll be millions of people who don't have any underying conditions and aren't obese though.

35 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yeah I'm not sure what the pre-existing conditions are. They'll be millions of people who don't have any underying conditions and aren't obese though.

Of course but it's one of the major questions I've had from this pandemic from the start.

31% of the population has high blood pressure

29% of the population is obese

12% of the population have asthma - Which with a tiny exception of the most severe forms of asthma is mostly easily controlled with cheap, extremely safe and standard inhalers and won't affect a person's lifespan and quality of life.

Around 42% get cancer during their lifetime - mostly benign or treatable to either go in remission or have a normal lifespan. Unsure how many have it or would be considered at risk from having had had it.

All the above are considered to have an underlying condition. 

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you at all. But I think it's one of the big questions we need answering of this whole thing - underlying conditions is too broad a category and I really wish we would get more data on what kind of conditions and how severe they are.

If it's regularly killing people in the above categories with mild versions of those conditions or ones which can easily be controlled with medication who would otherwise have had long, normal lives then that's devastating. If the opposite is true and it's mostly killing people with terminal illness already on their death beds then I'd definitely be a lot more open to opening up more.

I just don't know on that sense. It's been the biggest question for me about the whole pandemic and my view on covid - What these actual underlying conditions which people are dying of are and what's their severity? And my opinion on covid is most likely to be made up on the answer to that question.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Sampson said:

It's pretty devastating if people with asthma are dying from it for example. Given that more than 1 in 9 people in the UK are asthmatic and 97% of them live normal lives with standard inhaler treatment for example and would otherwise live a normal lifespan.

Well the anti body test I did recently asked you to tick underlying health conditions and overweight was one of them. Not obese. The list included things like mild asthma and high blood pressure. Something many people don't even know they have got. Over 5 million people in the Uk are registered asthma sufferers. 20% of the population is over 65 and Chris Whitty in a press conference estimated that 16 million people in the Uk had some sort of underlying health conditon and that figure was on top of the 1.5 million very threatened people who were shielding.

25 minutes ago, reynard said:

Well the anti body test I did recently asked you to tick underlying health conditions and overweight was one of them. Not obese. The list included things like mild asthma and high blood pressure. Something many people don't even know they have got. Over 5 million people in the Uk are registered asthma sufferers. 20% of the population is over 65 and Chris Whitty in a press conference estimated that 16 million people in the Uk had some sort of underlying health conditon and that figure was on top of the 1.5 million very threatened people who were shielding.

How do they class overweight though, if you go onto one of those bmi checker websites and unless your under 10 stone at 6 foot tall, you're classed as Daniel lambert.

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

How do they class overweight though, if you go onto one of those bmi checker websites and unless your under 10 stone at 6 foot tall, you're classed as Daniel lambert.

This is so true! 

Just read something that states France are going to make it mandatory to wear masks in offices. 

I went in the local Asda the other day and I was one of only about 3 people wearing a mask! Some bloke stood behind me telling the world he didn’t need one and wouldn’t be wearing one. Behind him stood a police officer! :blink:

He was that close, I had to ask him to move back a bit, remind him of social distancing ...... as he was spitting crap into my ear! 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Sampson said:

Of course but it's one of the major questions I've had from this pandemic from the start.

31% of the population has high blood pressure

29% of the population is obese

12% of the population have asthma - Which with a tiny exception of the most severe forms of asthma is mostly easily controlled with cheap, extremely safe and standard inhalers and won't affect a person's lifespan and quality of life.

Around 42% get cancer during their lifetime - mostly benign or treatable to either go in remission or have a normal lifespan. Unsure how many have it or would be considered at risk from having had had it.

All the above are considered to have an underlying condition. 

I'm definitely not disagreeing with you at all. But I think it's one of the big questions we need answering of this whole thing - underlying conditions is too broad a category and I really wish we would get more data on what kind of conditions and how severe they are.

If it's regularly killing people in the above categories with mild versions of those conditions or ones which can easily be controlled with medication who would otherwise have had long, normal lives then that's devastating. If the opposite is true and it's mostly killing people with terminal illness already on their death beds then I'd definitely be a lot more open to opening up more.

I just don't know on that sense. It's been the biggest question for me about the whole pandemic and my view on covid - What these actual underlying conditions which people are dying of are and what's their severity? And my opinion on covid is most likely to be made up on the answer to that question.

Also dont forget those with conditions who havent been diagnosed.

People dont officially have a condition until a doctor says they have it, however the body may say otherwise.